The classic ASCII game Dwarf Fortress is headed to Steam

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 14, 2019.

Front-page

Yes, you read the title right. The wildly complex ASCII simulation game Dwarf Fortress will be arriving on Steam, and for the first time ever, it'll have actual graphics and a soundtrack. Originally created in 2003, Dwarf Fortress is a cult classic and considered to be an insanely intricate game, receiving constant updates ever since its release 16 years ago. While Dwarf Fortress has a very dedicated community, this Steam release is intended to market towards audiences that might normally be intimidated by the text-based graphics. The graphical assets are being worked on by Michal Madej and Patrick Schroeder, while the musical tracks will be created by Dabu. Support for Steam Workshop mods will also be a feature. It'll launch within this year, with the release date cheekily noted as "time is subjective", and cost only $20. If you want to continue playing the original game, and for free, you'll still be able to do so, too.

:arrow: Source

Charli, guisadop, TheMrIron2 and 12 others like this.
    Discussion (18 replies)
  1. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I've never gotten past the first goblin siege.
    Neat tho!

2. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    Best release date ever.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Actual graphics and a soundtrack are neat, but the real question is: will they fix the UI? Since the game just kept growing and growing (I think it's like 20 years old by now?) and the UI never got overhauled, there's a ridiculous mess of menus within menus that are near impossible to navigate without a guide. If they do improve on both the graphics and the UI enough though, this might be a great chance to get more people into the game.

SpiffyJUNIOR and CoolStarDood like this.
  4. Ethan34

Ethan34 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    Myanmar (Burma)
    iirc the game `minecraft` by notch was inspired by this dwarf fortress.!

also: [​IMG]

CoolStarDood likes this.
  5. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    There are a lot of mods that add play ability and accessibility to people for this game. Is the steam version a new version or is it akin to what they did with tales of majeyal?

CoolStarDood likes this.
  6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    From what they've been saying, it seems like it's literally the same game, just with fancy graphics and music. As for whether existing mods will work on it, who knows?

CoolStarDood likes this.
  7. smileyhead

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Nice. I love the graphics, too. Hopefully there will be some animations, though. Or at least sprites that don't look weird like the dwarf in the video, facing left and sliding backwards.
    I've tried the original some time back, but the text-based graphics ruined it for me. It was uncomfortable staring at a black screen with coloured ASCII characters all over it for an extended amount of time.

CoolStarDood likes this.
  8. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I'll give it a try.

9. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    Never thought this would happen, I like this game but am not happy about this. This game always has room to improve and Adams did say only release and sell when fully ready, this feels like a very rushed job to make some quick buck just adding some assets from other people. Also, Itch.io or bust, I'd never pay taxes for a botnet storefront. This game is in my distro's repository for christ's sake.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I have probably thousands of hours in this game, so that's a neat from me. Doubt I'll use the Steam version, personally, but hey nice to see it go to a more mainstream platform.

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    You might want to read the FAQ linked in the youtube description: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xwhi1KKp5QD9R4-euZ0JqRB0vHdNPqdBJXjIgp-yYHA/edit?usp=sharing
    -It will be on itch.io too (https://kitfoxgames.itch.io/dwarf-fortress)
    -They're doing this because one of the dev's family has expensive medical issues, and the two devs get 80% from each sale
    -The free version will stay and keep getting updated
    -Graphics are made from scratch, not just "lol here's an existing modpack"

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Huh, pretty cool stuff

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Wait...so it took them SIXTEEN YEARS to implement graphics? :tpi:

On a more serious note: I've heard a lot of this game, but to me "it's incredibly complex!!!!!!!" isn't a selling point but a turn-off. I'm not saying I'll never buy it, but it'll have to queue up after factorio on my 'to buy...and perhaps one day ever play' list.

Partially true. I know it was inspired by one of Zachtronic's early games (infiniminer), but after digging some more it turns out we're both correct.

14. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    I've saw Joel from vinesauce play this game and laugh at the various dumbs things he does and happen, but I never really wanted to play the game meself mostly 'cus I can't stand much a bunch of letters and symbols on a black screen. It's just confusing fer me, makes me go cross-eyed and my eyesight doesn't appreciate it >_>
    Now that it will have graphics, maybe I'll finally give it a try.

15. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    I heard a lot about this game mostly for it's peculiar patch note but I've never have the courage to play it. Maybe I'll try it with that version :)

16. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Hurts my eyes, but have had friends very happy with this game. Something about how each character generated has oddly detailed backstories. Always something happening with this game.

One of my friends told me of the time one of his dwarves died in battle, and one of his other dwarves stopped doing their smithy job and went on a wild killing spree of the enemy. Completely out of left-field and confusing. Come to find out the blood-thirsty dwarf was the father of the dwarf killed in battle and was looking for revenge.

Hope it reaches a newer, wider audience with this release. and mods are still compatible.

Last edited by osaka35, Mar 15, 2019
  17. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Yea probably april 20th :creep:

18. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    im pretty sure there were unofficial mods onlines that had reskins so I think this is rather their official skin pack.