Hardware The 3ds and how 3 screens are better than one

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Are you talking about 3DS resolution to be like HD? Because getting high definition screens is important getting like real-life pictures. For example, on HDTV gets 5-15 times sharper than an standard TV.

And what is stereoscopic 3D?

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Wolfman,

Sorry, I did not see this post until I posted mine. I reread your original post and figured out what you were talking about.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.

BTW, this site gives different PPI figures from yours. Not sure why.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antonkan said:
Are you talking about 3DS resolution to be like HD? Because getting high definition screens is important getting like real-life pictures. For example, on HDTV gets 5-15 times sharper than an standard TV.

And what is stereoscopic 3D?

Resolution has nothing to do with this. Resolution is actually pretty useless. Read this to better understand why pixel density is most important.

Wolfman,

I think we can merge our posts and actually create something pretty educational for the readers here. If people didn't get their panties all in a bunch everytime they corrected something, we can get some good stuff done.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
ryan90 said:
it would be cool if he screen was designed so that when you turned off 3d, it could use the extra screenspace and graphics power to render the scene in 800x240 as in 2D so its sharper, i know this isn't possible but im still not 100% on why
It's what one of the debates is about. Technically it should be able to do that, the question is will Nintendo do that? My opinion is that they won't as it could make 2D look better than 3D. Others of course may have a different opinion, I guess we won't know until it ships. I'm surprised one of the attendies at E3 didn't notice, the information may be out there somewhere on the internet.

I think when the slider is off, it is 400x240. It's not like a 3D game would be made to switch from 800x240 to 400x240. Also, I doubt that the 3DS will do any type of upconverting if the game maker made it 400x240. So how would you explain this working any other way? It would have to be 400x240 when the slider is off.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
alucard77 said:
I think when the slider is off, it is 400x240. It's not like a 3D game would be made to switch from 800x240 to 400x240. Also, I doubt that the 3DS will do any type of upconverting if the game maker made it 400x240. So how would you explain this working any other way? It would have to be 400x240 when the slider is off.
Performance-wise, rendering 800x240 would require the same fillrate as rendering 2 x 400x240. Even less, as in 2D you don't need to change the viewpoint to produce the image for the second eye. Granted, game developers at the beginning will be doing 400x240 when the slider is off - you simply discard one of the stereoscopic images, you don't have to deal with rectangular pixels, you don't have to expand geometry vertically etc. etc. But hopefully - if Sharp's screen design allows it - some more ambitious game studios will be rendering full 800x240 in 2D mode. OR - rendering 400x240, but spending saved fillrate on e.g. applying FSAA or e.g. bloom effect. As for 800x240, I'm pretty sure PICA200 will be able to perform real rendering, not upscaling. Its pixel buffer is 4096x4096, if I remember correctly from the DMP's leaflet...

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:
Hey Wolfman,

Sorry, I did not see this post until I posted mine. I reread your original post and figured out what you were talking about.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.

BTW, this site gives different PPI figures from yours. Not sure why.
prolly cause the 3ds screen is 3.53 inches wide not 3.5 its in the nintendo press release. Thanks for understanding when i read your post i clearly thought about how no one was answering your question and no one cared to see what little jumble of info i posted but u then i realized i needed to expand and illustrate a better view of this on the 3ds. its ALL about aiming for positive contribution.

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BLllarrrhgghhh

I think the 3DS will look GREAT if it's a first party game. It will also look good if th 3rd party games display at the correct resolution.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand this topic. The creator, and the nemesis, haven't even seen a 3DS in action. If they don't want one, or aren't interested in buying one, then why do they care so much? Every reaction I've read about has alluded to the 3DS producing "Very Impressive" 3D effects. The simple testimony of someone who's seen the damn thing, is way more important than people trying to guess via tech jargon and nonsense.

This is what happens when people try to sound smarter than the other, but the reality is that most people who see the 3DS in action, are probably going to want one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Slappity slap slap