ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    You can use a soldering iron and burn a small hole above the button. easy

2. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    What if he doesn’t have a soldering iron? That would require buying another item which will add up to the cost. And buying a soldering iron for a 1 time project is not that really recommended. So no, not that easy.:tpi:

Last edited by Akira, Sep 5, 2018
  3. guitarheroknight
    OP

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    If you were to mod the casing like that a simple thin nail or something of the sort would do the trick if you heated it up prior to that which you could easily do. Just make mark where the button is on the casing, remove the shell and dig right into it.
    Another way to go would be if you had a thin nail-like screw and a screwdriver which would make a perfect hole in the casing.

Last edited by guitarheroknight, Sep 5, 2018
    Akira likes this.
  4. YamiPrem

YamiPrem Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2013
    I have the SX Pro too but looking for a cheap backup injector for when/if the SX Pro dongle dies.

Can you explain how the SX OS license transfer works for future reference please?

5. guitarheroknight
    OP

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    Well, your license is already generated on your SD card so just make a backup of it and your good to go. As long as you have the license and the boot.dat file on your SD card you should be fine. The cool thing about this dongle is that its pre-configured to work with SX OS.
    Dont get me wrong, this is an awesome device, but If I were to be honest the best choice for a backup dongle would be the R4S. You can get it for about $20 on AliExpress, and its super easy to use but most importantly its more robust than the $16 dongle I reviewed on the OP.

But if youre really that short on money and youre looking for a cool backup solution for the SX Pro dongle the $16 dongle is the way to go, since the $15 one seems to have some weird software issues on PC.

YamiPrem likes this.
  6. YamiPrem

YamiPrem Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2013
    Ah, ok thanks. Didn't realize it was just a file that kept the license, was thinking it was tied to the dongle itself or something. Thanks for explaining.

Ok, will look into the R4S then - I have heard this name around here so it seems popular enough.

Thanks.

7. Mrcookjr

Mrcookjr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United States
    I think this shits all over the SX Pro. I can't wait for it to be finished.

[​IMG]

YamiPrem likes this.
  8. ciaomao

ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    I am looking for a windows binary tool to convert .bin payloads to .uf2. Does anybody have a link, maybe?
    thx

9. Zangrief

Zangrief Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The battery on my RCMX86 seems to have completely given up now, I put a voltmeter across it and it no longer holds any amount of charge.

10. ciaomao

ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    did already tried to replace the battery?

11. Zangrief

Zangrief Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Trying to source a replacement battery is today's job. Ideally I'd like one that will fit inside the existing case as I'll be taking it on a holiday in a couple of weeks.

12. ciaomao

ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    Did you found a battery? Propably others, like me, have to replace it in the future, too.

13. Zangrief

Zangrief Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I’ve ordered a 3V coin cell with solder tabs, I’m hoping it will just about fit with a small switch. I’ll report back with results on Monday.

14. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)

May 18, 2018
    United States
  15. ciaomao

ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania

same as the one I got. its dark, but the leds comming through. w/o led you cant see anything from inside. nevertheless no hole. btw. the hole from your picture looks self drilled.

16. Zangrief

Zangrief Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I've swapped out my battery for a 3V CR2032 and added a push button and my dongle is working again. The original battery was only holding 2.55V and would immediately lose all charge when plugged into the console. It's not the tidiest job but it works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ravihpa, bundat and kumikochan like this.
  17. ciaomao

ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    hey it is alive again. congrats. are you using a standard battery? i thought there is a charging circuit on board?

Last edited by ciaomao, Oct 2, 2018
    Zangrief likes this.
  18. Zangrief

Zangrief Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It’s a standard non-rechargeable battery, but as long as I don’t hold the button down the battery won’t be connected, so I can still connect it to a computer if I need to change the payload.

gizmomelb likes this.
  19. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    hmm has anyone had issues with Windows detecting this dongle or the drivers not being installed properly? I'm running Windows 7 x64 and I insert the dongle, drivers are loaded but it never appears as a removable drive so I can change the payload.. I can see it as the COM port.. but not as the removable drive.

EDIT: ok now it IS appearing as the removable drive, however when I click in it in windows explorer it just goes off and does nothing

Last edited by gizmomelb, Feb 17, 2019
  20. byanime

byanime Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2010
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted