Hacking The $16 dongle experience

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use a soldering iron and burn a small hole above the button. easy
What if he doesn’t have a soldering iron? That would require buying another item which will add up to the cost. And buying a soldering iron for a 1 time project is not that really recommended. So no, not that easy.:tpi:

Last edited by Akira,

guitarheroknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What if he doesn’t have a soldering iron? That would require buying another item which will add up to the cost. And buying a soldering iron for a 1 time project is not that really recommended. So no, not that easy.:tpi:

If you were to mod the casing like that a simple thin nail or something of the sort would do the trick if you heated it up prior to that which you could easily do. Just make mark where the button is on the casing, remove the shell and dig right into it.
Another way to go would be if you had a thin nail-like screw and a screwdriver which would make a perfect hole in the casing.

Last edited by guitarheroknight,
Reactions: Akira

YamiPrem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the SX Pro too but looking for a cheap backup injector for when/if the SX Pro dongle dies.

Can you explain how the SX OS license transfer works for future reference please?

guitarheroknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have the SX Pro too but looking for a cheap backup injector for when/if the SX Pro dongle dies.

Can you explain how the SX OS license transfer works for future reference please?

Well, your license is already generated on your SD card so just make a backup of it and your good to go. As long as you have the license and the boot.dat file on your SD card you should be fine. The cool thing about this dongle is that its pre-configured to work with SX OS.
Dont get me wrong, this is an awesome device, but If I were to be honest the best choice for a backup dongle would be the R4S. You can get it for about $20 on AliExpress, and its super easy to use but most importantly its more robust than the $16 dongle I reviewed on the OP.

But if youre really that short on money and youre looking for a cool backup solution for the SX Pro dongle the $16 dongle is the way to go, since the $15 one seems to have some weird software issues on PC.

Reactions: YamiPrem

YamiPrem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, your license is already generated on your SD card so just make a backup of it and your good to go. As long as you have the license and the boot.dat file on your SD card you should be fine. The cool thing about this dongle is that its pre-configured to work with SX OS.
Dont get me wrong, this is an awesome device, but If I were to be honest the best choice for a backup dongle would be the R4S. You can get it for about $20 on AliExpress, and its super easy to use but most importantly its more robust than the $16 dongle I reviewed on the OP.

But if youre really that short on money and youre looking for a cool backup solution for the SX Pro dongle the $16 dongle is the way to go, since the $15 one seems to have some weird software issues on PC.

Ah, ok thanks. Didn't realize it was just a file that kept the license, was thinking it was tied to the dongle itself or something. Thanks for explaining.

Ok, will look into the R4S then - I have heard this name around here so it seems popular enough.

Thanks.

Deleted member 461907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think this shits all over the SX Pro. I can't wait for it to be finished.

image-png.138547

Reactions: YamiPrem

Zangrief

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The battery on my RCMX86 seems to have completely given up now, I put a voltmeter across it and it no longer holds any amount of charge.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Trying to source a replacement battery is today's job. Ideally I'd like one that will fit inside the existing case as I'll be taking it on a holiday in a couple of weeks.
Did you found a battery? Propably others, like me, have to replace it in the future, too.

Zangrief

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you found a battery? Propably others, like me, have to replace it in the future, too.

I’ve ordered a 3V coin cell with solder tabs, I’m hoping it will just about fit with a small switch. I’ll report back with results on Monday.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Zangrief

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've swapped out my battery for a 3V CR2032 and added a push button and my dongle is working again. The original battery was only holding 2.55V and would immediately lose all charge when plugged into the console. It's not the tidiest job but it works.

X3Leupx.jpg

i8MpwXu.jpg

TucdZL4

TucdZL4

Zangrief

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s a standard non-rechargeable battery, but as long as I don’t hold the button down the battery won’t be connected, so I can still connect it to a computer if I need to change the payload.

Reactions: gizmomelb

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hmm has anyone had issues with Windows detecting this dongle or the drivers not being installed properly? I'm running Windows 7 x64 and I insert the dongle, drivers are loaded but it never appears as a removable drive so I can change the payload.. I can see it as the COM port.. but not as the removable drive.

EDIT: ok now it IS appearing as the removable drive, however when I click in it in windows explorer it just goes off and does nothing

Last edited by gizmomelb,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol