Charmander is not pleased.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After a dismal showing of Xbox and Dreamcast fandom, the Sony fans are vindicated and the PlayStation 2 reigns over last round’s generation. For more details, see the thread here.

As always, here’s a little recap of the rules:
Each week, video game history will be put to the test to see which console or handheld is the greatest. There can only be one!

Vote for your favourite and follow it through to the end as we try to determine GBATemp's favourite console/handheld!

Consoles and handhelds will face off in brackets comprised of their generation. Because there can only be one, in the event of a tie I will cast a tie-breaking vote. Once a winner has been declared for each generation, the console winners and the handheld winners will face off in individual brackets. Once an ultimate console and ultimate handheld have been chosen, they will face off against each other to see who is the greatest!

For a concrete example of the brackets, see the image at the bottom of this post.

Hey now! We’re getting into a strange era of gaming. It’s going to become a bit harder to gauge the total sales/relative success/etc. of these systems if they’re on the cusp of not being sold anymore.

So what does the fourth generation have in store for all of us? We see some really strange attempts at innovation, as well as the first real competitor Nintendo has ever seen in the handheld department. We also start to see the original semblances of digital content in the handheld world. Let’s get to it, shall we?

This Week’s Challengers are:

GamePark Wiz/Caanoo
caanoo-wiz-comparadas.jpg

Some of you may remember my rantings on an earlier Game Park handheld, the GP32; the wonderful little system that started the ‘open handheld’ trend. Did you know that Game Park kept making handhelds?

I’m in a bit of a pickle about it though because there were two distinct systems that came out in quick succession this generation, and they are the Game Park Wiz (snicker while you can, kiddos!) in 2009 and the Game Park Caanoo (I assume this is pronounced ‘canoe’, but that might simply be my Canadian accent) in 2010. Both released by Game Park Holdings after they split from the original company.

Both systems featured the same style of ‘open handhelding’ seen in the original GP32 (as well as the skipped-over GP2X. I hope there aren't any GP2X fans in the forum) in that the onus was on the coding public to make games for it. Both were Linux-based systems, drawing in former Dreamcast coders and the like.

The Wiz featured a touch-screen (just like the GP2X) and it’s only real defining features were its crap-tastic A, B, Y and X buttons, as well as better hardware than the GP2X (as there really isn’t much you can do to distinguish yourself in the open handheld market).

The Caanoo had hardware that was, obviously, more powerful than the Wiz’s, but on top of that featured haptic feedback (rumble), which was experimented with on the DS, but was quickly abandoned, so it’s a little odd to see it occurring here. It certainly makes the Caanoo distinct…

Both are, of course, fantastic handhelds, and are great at what they do: play emulators. The only problem with them is that they were rather expensive when released (Wiz $180US, Caanoo $150US), making them a tad inaccessible to poor, unemployed coders.

Sadly, I have no sales figures, and, due to their open platform nature, there are no best-selling games for them.

Dingoo A320
Dingoo-A320.jpg

Now if only there was a relatively cheap option in an ‘open handheld’… Oh wait! There is.

Keeping in the tradition of open handhelds with batshit crazy names, the Dingoo A320 came out of a small Chinese company that hoped that its cheap little console would be enough to make some money off of. For some reason they decided to name it after a misspelling of the name for a wild Australian dog…

Not originally an open console, the Dingoo was released in February of 2009 for ~$80US (almost half the cost of the Caanoo!). The apparent cheapness in price, but no so cheapness in build quality, led it to be an attractive little console for hackers. Before long Linux was running on it and everyone and their sister was porting their favourite emulators and games to the thing.

As all things are in China, success does not go ignored, and soon the market was befuddled with poor quality imitators and, more annoyingly, clones. While it’s relatively easy to steer clear of the clones, the Chinese open handheld market seems to have had a bit of a boom, with new consoles being released weekly (an exaggeration, of course).

Again, I have no sales figures and best-selling games. Great system though.

Nintendo DS/DSi
300px-Nintendo_DS_Trans.png

With everyone expecting a new Game Boy-style handheld, no one saw this thing coming. Two screens (one with touch capabilities), a microphone and a GBA slot this thing seemed like an ugly little baby that wasn’t going to go anywhere. After a seemingly rushed launch in order to match the PSPs debut to the market, Nintendo themselves seemed to be unsure of the DS’ future success as they continually insisted that the Game Boy Advance was not being abandoned, but that it would become their ‘third pillar’ alongside the Gamecube and the DS (just in case the DS failed, you see).

When the thing started selling like hotcakes (and Nintendo released a redesign or two) third party companies began flocking to the system, bringing with them some of the most interesting properties and licences ever seen on a handheld.

Nintendo would eventually drop the GBA port with the release of the DSi model, and would begin to have the semblance of an online store with the system. A slew of fantastic games would be released, thus skyrocketing the DS to the best-selling handheld video game system, shattering the records made by the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance.

Nintendo would release 4 models by the end, and would spend a lot of time combating piracy/homebrew in the form of flash carts.

When all was said and done, the DS sold over 150 million units. For a while the best-selling game was Nintendogs, but apparently that series has been supplanted by New Super Mario Bros., which has sold ~26 million units.

Sony Playstation Portable
PSP.jpg

In 2004 Sony released their first handheld multimedia device to the public under the moniker PlayStation Portable. The PSP line boasts 5 distinct models over its lifespan (including the Europe only E1000 model, not including the Sony Xperia Play) and was Sony’s attempt to beat Nintendo at the own game once again!

Sony hoped to have the PSP be a bastion for their overpriced proprietary mediums, as the PSP took Memory Stick Pro Duo cards (later, Memory Stick Micro) as well as the universally disliked Universal Media Disk. Through these mediums, one could watch movies, listen to MP3s and play games, all in one portable device!

While there are those who would say that this machine was a failure in design (due to the train-wreck that was the UMD), failure in games (due to the all too common ‘there are no games!’ fallacy) and failure in sales (because the system sold less than half the DS did), this is not the case. The system is widely considered a success (especially in Japan!) and, despite rumours, many articles have been written to remind the public that there are indeed good games for the system.

Interest in the system spread rapidly when a method for hacking the PSP was discovered, thus beginning the cat and mouse game between Sony and homebrewers to patch and rehack the PSP respectively.

The PSP sold an impressive-for-a-non-Nintendo-handheld 70+ million units worldwide, and its best-selling game was Monster Hunter Freedom 3.

Housekeeping!!!

So there you have it! One of the most interesting handheld eras so far!

As always, don't forget to vote. The next round will start next Tuesday, ~10AM Eastern. Stay classy, GBATemp.

Here are the bracket as the currently stand:
ConsoleClassic-round09bracket.jpg

Who will win? It could be you!*

*note: it can't be you.

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot the poll! :P

EDIT #2: The Poll is now closed! Join me soon for the results!

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm fortunate to own nearly every model of the systems mentioned above (my PSP 3000 broke and I don't own an Xperia Play or the E1000).

The Wiz and the Caanoo barely distinguish themselves from each other. And while they and the Dingoo are all fantastic systems, they are rendered completely moot when you have a hacked PSP or a DS with a flashcard.

When it comes to the PSP, I always felt like the first two models would spontaneously fall apart in my hands. Little did I know that the 3000 would be the one to do that. :P Much to my surprise, I prefer the Go model. It's compact and has a decent amount of internal storage. The price was a little off-putting, but once it could be hacked for good, I fell in love with it. I do find that I spend a lot more time with emulators on it than PSP games, probably because I'm not a fan of modern JRPGs. Also, the abandoning of the UMD has left me a little sour towards the Vita. I really would like to have my PSP games on that thing. Ah well...

If I were to vote though, it'd be for the DS. I'm always impressed with how unique some of the games are for the system, as it feels like a lot of companies don't mind taking chances. I'm a little disturbed by the homebrew scene for the DS in that we rely on a third party for flash cards. It'd be better if there were some freeware hack like what's going on with the PSP, but I'm sure that can't be avoided just yet.

My DS collection just hit 100 games the other day with my acquiring Monster Tale. For any Metroidvania fans, you might find this one to be a kiddy representation of that style. It's by the same people who made Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure (another fantastic, yet extremely difficult, game) and I highly recommend it.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is one time that it's hard to say which one appeals me more. I love the DS, but after getting a PSP with a nice 32GB internal (16 + 16, but anyways) storage, it's just amazing. All the emulators and homebrew really leave the DS in the shadows. On the other hand the DS had quite a few very clever and innovative games, but it also had a huge library of games that I've passed. I pretty much see how this will end though. The PSP (in this case the biggest challenger) has no chance because most haven't given it a run with a full CFW and only compare an OFW PSP to a DS with a flashcart :P

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
That's the dilemma of this poll. Undoubtedly the software library of the DS obliterates the PSP's (although the PSP does have some nice RPG's and SRPG's) but the PSP, with its homebrew and emulation potential more than makes up for it's slightly inferior games catalogue. Being able to carry around a portable PSX, SNES, Megadrive, Neo Geo, CPS2, Master System etc... , along with being a decent media player, more than makes up for a slight dearth of games making the vote a difficult choice. In my opinion the sheer wealth of options available to a PSP owner more than makes up for it's native platform specific games.

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It would be kind of strange if people preferred the PSP because it can play all sorts of old Nintendo games.

The only major difference in major console emulation that the PSP has that the DS doesn't is PSX (which is near perfect, save for the lack of L&R2 buttons and a second analogue stick) and N64 (which is far from perfect). Will that make the difference? Only time will tell!

Here's a question for the ages: Does anyone here actually use their handheld devices for the playing of movies? I lost interest when I realised I was wasting time converting the files when I could have spent that time watching the damn videos instead. Also, I'm not one for high fidelity, but I don't want to watch Forbidden Planet on a tiny-ass screen while the chat that the high school kids on the bus are having about how much they love Justin Beiber is drowning out the audio.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be kind of strange if people preferred the PSP because it can play all sorts of old Neo Geo games.

Considering the Dingoo and Caanoo are available options despite lacking a conventional game library. I think emulation is a valid reason.

Here's a question for the ages: Does anyone here actually use their handheld devices for the playing of movies? I lost interest when I realised I was wasting time converting the files when I could have spent that time watching the damn videos instead. Also, I'm not one for high fidelity, but I don't want to watch Forbidden Planet on a tiny-ass screen while the chat that the high school kids on the bus are having about how much they love Justin Beiber is drowning out the audio.

I do. I spend over two hours a day commuting. Whilst I can use my phone and netbook, I much rather conserve the battery on both devices. Oh, I also find using earphones is a vaguely good way to listen to the audio.

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It would be kind of strange if people preferred the PSP because it can play all sorts of old Neo Geo games.

Considering the Dingoo and Caanoo are available options despite lacking a conventional game library. I think emulation is a valid reason.
The fact that they were released was the reason they're available options, really. And the Wiz, Caanoo and Dingoo have a myriad of homebrew, non-emulated games for them.

PS: I'm vaguely surprised that people are choosing the PSP. It always seemed like the DS forum was much more active. The dingoo one... not so much. :P

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The fact that they were released was the reason they're available options, really. And the Wiz, Caanoo and Dingoo have a myriad of homebrew, non-emulated games for them. Many more than the DS and PSP do.

But their devices with a focus on homebrew. And if you;re including them, the homebrew scene of the DS and PSP should also be taken into account.

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
But they're devices with a focus on homebrew. And if you're including them, the homebrew scene of the DS and PSP should also be taken into account.
I said the only difference in emulation between the DS and PSP was that the DS lacked PS1 and N64 capabilities. Not that I'd put these kinds of restrictions on the poll, but I certainly didn't follow that comment up with, "Oh, and when you're voting for the PSP or the DS, please ignore the homebrew scene altogether".

As I mentioned earlier the PSP Go wouldn't even be on my radar if it weren't for the fact that it's hackable now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Both the DS and the PSP are great consoles, so it's a tough choice. Both have a good library of games and while the PSP dominates the DS specs-wise, the touch screen, the dual screens and the GBA backwards compatibility more then make up for it. Funny anecdote, at the beginning of this generation I considered the PSP as superior since it offered way more capable hardware and multimedia capabilities - the DS was simply too weak for me. Then, I started going out with my girlfriend who had a DS and a Wii and I bought both just to multiplay with her (what we never really did - we only played together when we were physically together, lol), discovered the DS's uncanny appeal and loved it to the point that I started programming for it. Then, the PSP seemed to be completely bleak in comparison due to the lack of the touch screen and absence of the DS-defining titles. I always wondered how it'd be to own a PSP though, as throughout my adventure with the DS its lacking specs seemed even more apparent. One faithful day, my girlfriend approached me and said "I know you want to buy a PSP and I have no idea what to get you for Christmas. Don't buy one, I'll get it for you, just specify the model". I was reluctant, it seemed like such an expensive gift! She refused to back down though and finally I recieved a beautiful white 2000... And I love it still. In fact, I promptly bought a PSP for her birthday and she enjoys the heck out of it aswell. This was the turning point for me. All previous console wars became completely invalid and I understood that to know the full face of gaming, one must own all of the consoles in a generation. There are favourites, of course, but the only valid comparison is by what the consoles represent, not who made them. My vote goes for the DS,the PSP is great, but more of the same. The DS was a game changer. Now not only the game itself is the focus of developers, but also the experience it provides, and we can thank the DS for that shift to a great extent.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is definitely a tough one.

For what it's worth, I'll throw my vote to the DS. While the PSP definitely has its strengths, and some pretty awesome titles in its library (not to mention its multimedia capabilities), I think the DS was ultimately the stronger system.

Sony definitely made a valiant effort, and provided the best handheld competition Nintendo had seen in a long time (if ever). I'd say that definitely paid off for the next generation, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll vote for the PSP because I really like the PSP.

It has quality over quantity but it certainly has a decent amount of quantity. If I had to name a bunch of my favorite handheld games of this generation, a lot of them would probably be for the PSP.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I got a Dingoo and a DS Phat + Lite.

Choice was hard to make but after deciding that I used my DS way more then my Dingoo I voted DS.

The Phatty now acts as my MP3 player

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: