Gaming TF2 Cash Farming

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend just made 2000 dollars selling hats (he called them unusuals or something, idk) in TF2...

I have no clue how this works, but it's REALLY interesting.

If someone could dumb it down for me so I could possibly get started doing this... it'd really help me out, since I have a lot of free time to blow (1-2 months of free time) and getting a lot of money like this could really help me in the future.

Thanks!

(P.S. I looked it up, and TF2 is Free-To-Play, but has a premium option. Is it harder to cash-farm on F2P than premium? I just want to know if I should make an initial investment into premium.)

-Guy who really wants to make money when he has nothing else to do.

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.teamfortr...etoplay/faq.php

You need premium access to trade properly and handling usuals.

To get you started there is a guide available: http://gbatemp.net/t...et-rich-in-tf2/

If you don't mind, add me (Chanser) to your friends list first then pay so I can get professor speks.

http://wiki.teamfort...Professor_Speks

Alright - but is it possible to get started on Free-To-Play collecting unusuals and stuff?

I'd like to get into the game first before starting to cash-farm (it actually looks pretty fun)

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can collect a lot of things as a F2P player, but unusuals? No.

Unusuals come from crates. Crates are part of the weekly item drop system, so you can probably get two a week. However, crates can only be opened with keys. To get keys, you either have to buy them from the in-game store (for $2.49), or trade for them. However, as F2P players can only have items traded to them, you're not going to get keys like that. The unit of trading for any low-priced item like a key is in metal. Crafting together two weapons from the same class will result in a scrap metal, crafting 3 scrap metals together results in a reclaimed metal, and crafting 3 reclaimed metals results in a refined metal. A key goes for around 2 refined + 1 reclaimed + 1-2 scrap - that totals to 22-23 scrap, which is either 44-46 weapons, or 22-23 if you're successful at selling weapons for a scrap each. Since you can only get about 10 weapons a week through the drop system, it'd take weeks just to gather the metal needed for one key, all for a one percent chance of uncrating an unusual, which even then might not be worth all that much. Most crates don't have items worth enough to fully justify that key you used, either; you'll probably only get an item worth a refined, if you're lucky.

To farm items efficiently you'd need multiple accounts, and since trading requires a premium account that's going to be $5 into your Steam Wallet every time you want to make one.

Unless you start with a lot of accounts and make some good trades, you're going to buy a lot of keys (you can get them for around $1.50 trading on some dedicated TF2 forums, rather than the $2.50 in-game rate), and it's high risk for little reward. The price of unusuals has been dropping recently, too. It's not a good way to make quick or easy money.

Economy bullshit aside, it is a fun game, and doesn't require a very powerful computer to milk a decent framerate out of it. It's worth the download even if you don't want to get into item farming, but take note that there's still a good portion of the community that's somewhat hostile towards F2Pers.

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks, then I guess I'll have to try to find another way to make tons of money cash-farming in my spare time :/

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can collect a lot of things as a F2P player, but unusuals? No.

Unusuals come from crates. Crates are part of the weekly item drop system, so you can probably get two a week. However, crates can only be opened with keys. To get keys, you either have to buy them from the in-game store (for $2.49), or trade for them. However, as F2P players can only have items traded to them, you're not going to get keys like that. The unit of trading for any low-priced item like a key is in metal. Crafting together two weapons from the same class will result in a scrap metal, crafting 3 scrap metals together results in a reclaimed metal, and crafting 3 reclaimed metals results in a refined metal. A key goes for around 2 refined + 1 reclaimed + 1-2 scrap - that totals to 22-23 scrap, which is either 44-46 weapons, or 22-23 if you're successful at selling weapons for a scrap each. Since you can only get about 10 weapons a week through the drop system, it'd take weeks just to gather the metal needed for one key, all for a one percent chance of uncrating an unusual, which even then might not be worth all that much. Most crates don't have items worth enough to fully justify that key you used, either; you'll probably only get an item worth a refined, if you're lucky.

To farm items efficiently you'd need multiple accounts, and since trading requires a premium account that's going to be $5 into your Steam Wallet every time you want to make one.

Unless you start with a lot of accounts and make some good trades, you're going to buy a lot of keys (you can get them for around $1.50 trading on some dedicated TF2 forums, rather than the $2.50 in-game rate), and it's high risk for little reward. The price of unusuals has been dropping recently, too. It's not a good way to make quick or easy money.

Economy bullshit aside, it is a fun game, and doesn't require a very powerful computer to milk a decent framerate out of it. It's worth the download even if you don't want to get into item farming, but take note that there's still a good portion of the community that's somewhat hostile towards F2Pers.
Thanks, really informative, I realize I still have loads of hours ahead of me to mean something, hell, to actually craft something!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...