text editor homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Diosoth, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Diosoth
    OP

Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    I need a decent text file editor for the DS. It has to be able to save in standard TXT file format. I tried something called TxtWriter, but it gives an error when I try to save anything. DSOrganize doesn't have what I'd call a dedicated text editor. The to-do list almost does it, but it saves in its own file format which Notepad has problems with(goofed characters) and I keep getting guru meditation errors witht he program on my Acekard.

Any dedicated text editors I should look into? I want a viable writing method in case the power goes out, that doesn't rely on paper- I don't wish to have to transfer all my notes into typing.

2. George290506

George290506 GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2006
    Greece
    Hellas, Macedonia
    I know you reported it but DSOrganize is what I thought before reading the rest of your topic.

3. ChuckMcB

ChuckMcB GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2007
  4. OneMichael

OneMichael Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    Canada
    Manitoba, Canada
    In the DSOrganize file browser, pressing Y on a .txt file will enter you into edit mode. It does take a bit to find, and you have to really be looking for it.
    It gurus a lot with certain features, such as the web-browser or the to-do list. It doesn't manage to save address labels, either. The text editor, though, has never crashed for me.
    You have two options:
    1) Get DSOrganize 3.2, which crashes more often and can completely corrupt a file when you try to save it.
    2) Get DSOrganize 3.1129, which is a good deal more stable. The text editor sometimes quits out, so save often. It doesn't ever delete the file, though.

5. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Way to read the original post >_>

Personally, I use DSLinux. It has the best on-screen keyboard of any DS homebrew app I've used, and once you get used to it you can type pretty fast on it (it helps that L functions as the Shift key). However, I don't know if it will even boot anymore without slot-2 RAM.