Tesla to New York Times: You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!!

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's true that big oil shuts down every new power source then what the hell is going on with all the billions of tax dollars being pumped into dead end, expensive, inefficient so called alternative energy? On EV's the Tessla is an expensive tax subsidised car for people with a lot of money who already have five SUVs. EVs will never make it in the market. How many volts have been sold? How many electric cars have burnt down houses? I want something that works not a sports card that I can't drive over 55mph on a cold day

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Penny-Arcade uncovered some new details on Broder's trip:

i-5xVV2tB-950x10000.jpg

Reactions: Skelletonike

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insults don't change the fact that a expensive tax subsidized EV sports car will break down and have to be towed if you don't drive it perfectly at best and will leave you stranded no matter what at worst. Yeah people are going to pay six figures for that. If this were any other car it would be a sucky car for that based on that performance. If an EV breaks down then you blame the driver?
The funniest thing here is greens are defending a car that most likely they'll never be able to afford.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Tesla was an eccentric kook. Edison was better. :P
Oh no you just didn't go there.
Edison was a corporate asshole motherfucker who knew how to bribe the White House even then.
Tesla wanted free energy for everybody. And he was far from eccentric. Unlike Edison who was fed with a silver spoon, Tesla worked in construction on minimum wage while being a genius.

Take that.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
If people are worried about the environment that much it is easy enough to convert most older cars to run off Hydrogen or use Bio-Diesel anyway.
I much rather put my money into that than a company, on top of the fact you can learn a thing or two from the effort put forth.

Seriously? Electric cars cost almost nothing to run compared to regular cars. It shouldn't really be an environmental question, but a cost effective question.

Actually it's been happening for about a hundred years. It was just the deal in the States (among others IIRC) that oil is just easier to make a huge profit. Basically the oil industry pumped the senate with funds to make it more profitable to develop oil based transports. If we'd have kept developing EVs from the start of the 20th century, we'd have quite efficient engines and combustion would at tops be powering the generator for creating the electricity for the engine compared to the combustion engines used for creating the movement.

We DO have efficient electric engines. An electric motor is usually around 80% - 90% efficient, compared to internal combustion engine efficiency of around 20%, I'd say efficiency is, and never was, the issue. What they need is better quality batteries. We are currently at the stage where a fully electric car is a very viable option for the vast majority of drivers.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh no you just didn't go there.
Edison was a corporate asshole motherfucker who knew how to bribe the White House even then.
Tesla wanted free energy for everybody. And he was far from eccentric. Unlike Edison who was fed with a silver spoon, Tesla worked in construction on minimum wage while being a genius.

Take that.

Edison wasn't fed with a silver spoon. He had to work hard to earn his keep, starting at an early age. It just so happens that he had a gift for business. That business conflicted with Tesla, and he proceeded to bury him.

Tesla = Crazy Scientist
Edison = Business-Minded Engineer

:P

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you better take some precautions than he is a vampire afterall :creep:

I doubt it, vampires are sex incarnate and Tesla was as asexual as they come. He only had one love, and her name was Science.

Tesla was an eccentric kook. Edison was better. :P

All the best minds have a few screws loose. You think Tesla could have come up with half the crazy shit he invented if he was sane?

Anyone who thinks Edison was better should have the stupid zapped out of them. Using alternating current.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? Electric cars cost almost nothing to run compared to regular cars. It shouldn't really be an environmental question, but a cost effective question.
if it is about being cost effective to use with that phrase with Tesla as an example is a bit laughable.
http://www.teslamotors.com/financing
The cheapest Tesla electric car is $59,900 monthly pricing with financing is $682 a Month over 72 Months this is of course with a 15,000 Down Payment and "if" you get financed.
Cost of a new 2013 Ford Fusion is around MSRP$22,495 nearly a 3rd of the cheapest Tesla cars price, not to mention if you go for a good used car it will out last both the Fusion and possible the tesla cars battery life span also with the option of the use of Bio-Diesel on a lot of vehicles it's still cheaper.
Things like battery up keep also need to be taken into account, after warranty especially the daunting task of maybe attempting to replace yourself the individual Lithium-ion 18650 cells that may have went bad in a gargantuan car battery which will probably still cost you a pretty penny to do even still ultimately being cheaper than buying a new one from tesla.
Especially with current electric car prices of Tesla branded electric cars, using Bio-Diesel or Converting older cars to run from Hydrogen would be cheaper and more over in the long run cost effective at the very least till electric vehicles come down in price to be comparable with gas driven ones, otherwise it isn't cost effective enough for the common man to afford over a gas guzzler and is also only a status symbol for people to wave around and act as if they actually accomplished something with the paper money the American government doesn't even print out its self.
Now don't get me wrong if electric cars where truly cost effective at the moment i would agree with you whole heartedly, being both cost effective and energy efficient are some goals i have set for me self.
Personally I feel the company called Tesla does a grave injustice to a great man who had an electric car back when he him self was alive.

Reactions: Qtis

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Clearly the future of transportation lies in something viable like fuel cells. We'll all look back at solar panels, wind mills, and electric cars years from now and say that was a big mistake and misallocation of resources
yeah and what happens when all the fuel runs out huh? the wells are all drying up :P

For the record fuel cell =/= fossil fuel powered device. Now they have certainly been fuel for fuel cells made from fossil fuels in the same way plastics are often still made from oil but that is a different discussion and not really that relevant.

Also fuel cells tend to kick out electricity as their primary energy output so you are still making an electric car.

Or did I miss a joke?

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record fuel cell =/= fossil fuel powered device. Now they have certainly been fuel for fuel cells made from fossil fuels in the same way plastics are often still made from oil but that is a different discussion and not really that relevant.

Also fuel cells tend to kick out electricity as their primary energy output so you are still making an electric car.

Or did I miss a joke?
Yeah a fuel cell uses electricity but you don't need 2000 pounds of batteries to make it go

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson