Tesla to New York Times: You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Tesla is a car company currently devoted to producing electric cars, with their Model S model (straight from the Department of Redundancy Department) receiving a good deal of publicity. Unfortunately for Tesla, though, the company has something in common with its namesake - getting royally screwed over.

Fortunately for them, those doing the screwing happened to be embarrassingly incompetent.

[​IMG] Slash Gear

Shocking, I know.

The article lists some of the underhand methods used by Broder (pictured here), ranging from insufficient charging to "driving 'in circles for over half a mile in a tiny, 100-space parking lot.'" In fact, it even appears that despite Broder's claims, his car never actually ran out of battery; the entire story seems to have been pulled straight from his rear exhaust port.

Considering that John Broder has made his disdain for electric vehicles quite public, it appears that his review was an attempt to legitimize his views. So much for objective reporting, eh?

As of right now, the New York Times has refused to comment on the publicity-pileup, and it has yet to retract Broder's review. Considering that Tesla might just have grounds for a libel suit here, expect them to shift gears soon enough.

So yeah. While I know we all have different opinions on clean energy and the like, let's not allow the conversation to get too charged. I think we can all agree that faking a review to validate your preconceived biases is bad - and maybe don't forget that the company-tracked car is, in fact, tracked. That could help.

ProtoKun7 and Engert like this.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    EV cars are a danger looming over the entire oil-based industry - they require less maintenance, they're more "intelligently-designed", they're green and they're bad news for the men and women in power - who would've thought that reviews might not always be accurate?

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Hah, Wacky Races. A more fitting reference than it initially seemed.

ProtoKun7, gamefan5 and geoflcl like this.
  4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    last time I heard tesla was trying to re-build his vampire race :creep:

Cyan likes this.
  5. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    If people are worried about the environment that much it is easy enough to convert most older cars to run off Hydrogen or use Bio-Diesel anyway.
    I much rather put my money into that than a company, on top of the fact you can learn a thing or two from the effort put forth.

6. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    tronic307 and Wizerzak like this.
  7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    after he used his magnetic powers to aid magnus so that she would restore his vampire roots. then i do believe he just decided to enjoy being the only one of his "kind".

-another world

8. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    People still have a fear of the electric car because it will start ruining the fuel powered industry. It has been happening for 30 years, every time the electric car attempts to make it's place in the automotive market, oil companies and the automotive press try to shoot it down. Unfortunately those times are starting to change and even the big auto manufacturers are slowly starting to divert their development resources towards hybrid and alternative fuel technologies.

Oil companies are some of the worst lobbyists in the world, if it wasn't for them, the electric car probably would have become a mainstream vehicle back in the 90's.

9. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Electric cars suck and are expensive. I don't know one person that would waist their money on an electric car. These are basically toys for rich people that are subsidised by the government. Don't listen to me though Toyota's vice president says EVs are not a viable replacement for most vehicles. Reuters just declared electric vehicles dead. Clearly the future of transportation lies in something viable like fuel cells. We'll all look back at solar panels, wind mills, and electric cars years from now and say that was a big mistake and misallocation of resources

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yeah and what happens when all the fuel runs out huh? the wells are all drying up :P

11. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    You're right, why would they "waist" an electric car?

Densetsu, Sicklyboy, finkmac and 6 others like this.
  12. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Actually it's been happening for about a hundred years. It was just the deal in the States (among others IIRC) that oil is just easier to make a huge profit. Basically the oil industry pumped the senate with funds to make it more profitable to develop oil based transports. If we'd have kept developing EVs from the start of the 20th century, we'd have quite efficient engines and combustion would at tops be powering the generator for creating the electricity for the engine compared to the combustion engines used for creating the movement.

I kinda find it funny that people think EVs are a waste of time. I study at a University of Technology and have seen quite a few EV/Hybrid cars due to the Mechanical Engineering department and a friend who is a vehicle reporter for the country's biggest car/tech magazine. Tesla (Roadster IIRC), Fisker Karma, Volt, Prius, etc. are great for driving. If the problem is with long distance, go for a hybrid. Traditional combustion engines have such a bad operating efficiency due to loss of heat in the process, which it's not viable in the long run..

13. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
  14. Ethevion

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    I'm no fan of electric cars, but making a fake review because of that is just bad journalism.

15. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    It's a pissing match now between Tesla and the NYT.

The facts still remain, though, that the car dropped from 90mi to 25mi overnight due to the cold weather. That's a point that Elon Musk glossed over in his attack on the NYT.

If I had a car that did that (and I lived in a colder climate), I'd be stranded all the time. It'd be like having a dead battery in the dead of winter with a conventional car, except it could happen every damn day.

16. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I'm a fan of ev's. Once they get cheap and get all the problems out, I'll buy one.

Phoenix Goddess likes this.
  17. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    How cheap is cheap?

18. Dann Woolf

Member Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Netherlands
    The funny thing is even if the oil industry successfully shuts down every new power source, they're still going to be royally fucked over when the world's oil runs out. That may not happen today, or tomorrow, or next year, but but the time is coming, and when the time does come we need to be prepared. If we stay over-dependent on oil, we're all going to be fucked.

19. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    All of you who say bad things about Tesla are idiots. All of you.

20. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The price of an internal-combustion-engined car plus, say, two years' worth of gas?