Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

Carcharodon Carcaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, I see. You must delete ";" at the line " ; dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x0 " in order to get that line works.
Try make it like this

And then restart Switch.

Hi, I have the same problem, but...

1) my path for the config file is directly "/atmosphere/system_settings.ini"
2)i edited the "dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x0" in the past, but when I pop up edizon overlay, the cheats are turned ON again. Maybe another config file somewhere?:unsure:

thx!

PS.: OFW 9.2.0 Atmos 0.10.5

D

Deleted User

just thought i would share while I am have proven that sxos can in fact load atmos modules it doesn't seem to load this one. So yeah this is def atmos only till someone makes some edits but since sxos can load atmos who cares in my view...

Starhatred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi, I have the same problem, but...

1) my path for the config file is directly "/atmosphere/system_settings.ini"
2)i edited the "dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x0" in the past, but when I pop up edizon overlay, the cheats are turned ON again. Maybe another config file somewhere?:unsure:

thx!

PS.: OFW 9.2.0 Atmos 0.10.5
Uhm. AFAIK, since Atmosphere 0.10.0+, the location of system_settings.ini has changed. So, like @deejay87 said, you have to copy your system_settings.ini to atmosphere/config in order to get it works. Hope it helps! :)

Reactions: Carcharodon Carcaj

Carcharodon Carcaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
system_settings.ini go to atmosphere/config
yeah, I tried that and now works fine, thx. Anyway, i edited that line in the "config_template/system_settings.ini" file too, i think that if atmosphere didn't find the file properly, it maybe take the template? idk

Thx you too @Starhatred ^^

Last edited by Carcharodon Carcaj,

jagsta21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the last day or so i have used the edizon overlay. i tried to add another cheat to file and it wont update it shows the old cheats only. i have even removed the file in the content folder and the cheats still show up and WORK. i am using atmosphere.

asomiakanawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! So I'm having issues pulling the overlay up when I input L+down+clicking R? I have the sys-ftpd light master in the root of my SD card, nx ovlloader on the root and tesla-menu in the switch folder. The .overlays file is also in switch along with ovledizon and ovlmenu. I rebooted after everything and nothing happens. I'm pretty sure im missing a file or maybe I dragged the folder into the wrong area? Thanks in advance for all the help!

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey guys! So I'm having issues pulling the overlay up when I input L+down+clicking R? I have the sys-ftpd light master in the root of my SD card, nx ovlloader on the root and tesla-menu in the switch folder. The .overlays file is also in switch along with ovledizon and ovlmenu. I rebooted after everything and nothing happens. I'm pretty sure im missing a file or maybe I dragged the folder into the wrong area? Thanks in advance for all the help!
Everything in your post is wrong. :blink:

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France

upload_2020-3-23_18-18-12.png

I didn't do anything except extract all files AS THEY ARE. Take each zip, unpack it at the root of the SD Card, nothing else, nothing more. Don't try to change paths, make folders or anything fancy.

Last edited by Badablek,

asomiakanawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 200608

I didn't do anything except extract all files AS THEY ARE. Take each zip, unpack it at the root of the SD Card, nothing else, nothing more. Don't try to change paths, make folders or anything fancy.

So I'm just putting the nx-ovlloader into the flags file then move my .overlays folder out into the root of my SD card? Do I also put Tesla+ftpd on the root too? Also thank you for helping and not just telling me I'm wrong.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is not what I said...and not what I drew. if I put all these folders in a "nx-ovlloader" black box , this is because it's ALL THE FILES AND FOLDERS for nx-ovlloader. Wasn't it obvious ?

take all zip files : UNPACK AS IT IS on the root of your SD card. This will put everything where it has to be.
then, if you download an overlay menu in .ovl format. Take it, put it in switch\.overlays

Don't try to make as you think it should be, just listen the developers of these great apps/menus. They know what they are talking about, and even if I never used Tesla-menu until now, I didn't try to reinvent the wheel. The key of success. And everything works flawlessly

asomiakanawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for future reference: anyone that needs help with tesla not coming up I recommend seanp2500's video! He also helped me figure out I was missing a file. everything else was fine. he was extremely helpful. :)

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
for future reference: anyone that needs help with tesla not coming up I recommend seanp2500's video! He also helped me figure out I was missing a file. everything else was fine. he was extremely helpful. :)
How hard can be understanding what and where to unpack lol, esp if there's a setup guide?Its like watching a tutorial on how to copy a file from one folder to another. But i guess i'm being rude here now..

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: f0li0

asomiakanawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How hard can be understanding what and where to unpack lol, esp if there's setup guide?Its like watching a tutorial on how to copy a file from one folder to another. But i guess i'm being rude here now..

I know!! luckily that wasn't my issue. I had everything in the right directory but had to delete FTPD that was it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Low kilojoule soft drink?