OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
hbl_icon-png.384573

Homebrew App Store v2.3.2

Download: https://github.com/fortheusers/hb-appstore/releases
Web Version: https://apps.fortheusers.org/switch/

The Homebrew App Store is graphical frontend to the get package manager for downloading and managing homebrew directly on the Nintendo Switch. This is based on the same codebase as the Wii U Homebrew App Store.

Usage
To run this program, a modded Nintendo Switch with access to hbmenu and an SD card is required. Unzip the contents of the "Switch-ExtractToSD.zip" at the Github link above to the root of the SD card. For more detailed instructions, see the readme.

Apps featured within HBAS are made by other homebrew developers. The main repo is maintained by ForTheUsers, and new apps can be requested or submitted at submit.fortheusers.org. If you are a developer, please join the 4TU Discord to view any feedback submitted for your apps.

Although "store" is in the name, the apps within are all free-- If a specific homebrew developer wants to charge for their app, they would have to do so outside of HBAS. The name just refers to the concept of an App Store.

Credits
Repo Maintenance / Development: pwsincd, VGMoose, Nightkingale, rw-r-r_0644, crc32, CompuCat, Quarky
Library Dev / Support: Maschell, brienj, Dimok, GaryOderNichts, FIX94, Zarklord, CreeperMario, Ep8Script
Contributions / Design: LyfeOnEdge, Román, Jaames, iTotalJustice

The bundled music is a cover of Slimers by drewinator4. Check out their YouTube here! For the original Slimers (used in the WiiU version), check out (T-T)b's links.

Support
You can come by the 4TU Discord to discuss any issues/development, or if you want to work on your own homebrew app using the source code. Individual issues for the app can be reported on Github.

Other non-Discord methods to get in touch are to contact @pwsincd, @Nightkingale, @vgmoose, or email: contact [ @ ] fortheusers.org.

Troubleshooting
Apps won't install! Just goes back to the overview: Check your network connection, and that the SD card isn't full and is writeable.
Update was a downgrade: Most likely the version of the app on the server is out of date. 4TU repo maintainers may take around 1-2 days for routine app updates. On discord, the #hbas-updates channel will display newly added or updated apps.
Crashed or black screen! Please make sure you have the latest hb-appstore files and your environment is up to date. If you are using applet mode, try Title override mode instead.

Recovery Mode: If the UI behaves strangely, you can enter "Recovery mode" by spamming L and R while hb-appstore opens. This will allow you to manage packages and troubleshoot the network connection more directly. You can also reset all installed package data (this is equivalent to deleting sd:/switch/appstore/.get manually).

EXFAT SD Warning: If your files seem to be behaving strangely, the suggested fix is to use a FAT32 formatted SD card instead of an EXFAT one. Based on user reports, there appears to be an issue with EXFAT and switch apps (potentially both homebrew and official ones).

Music Customization
The background music that plays can be customized by adding, replacing, or removing the background.mp3 file within the sd:/switch/appstore folder. If you installed the appstore.nro file directly, you likely don't have a background.mp3 file, however you can add the MP3 manually next to the NRO file using a file browser.

Self-Hosting
If you're interested in running your own repo for HBAS to use, please see this section of the libget wiki. After setting up a repo, edit the repos.json file inside of the sd:/switch/appstore/.get folder to either include an entry for your new repo, or replace the 4TU one.

The original vision of hb-appstore was that many developers would each host and maintain their own repos, but this is not a common use case, and as a result HBAS users are not in the habit of managing repos.

License
This software is licensed under the GPLv3. Please feel free to report issues or give your own contributions to the source code!

Screenshots
All apps are initially marked as "GET". Once they are installed, they move to the "INSTALLED" category. And if an update is available on the server, it wlll show as "UPDATE".

The main method of controlling the screen is via touch input + fling to scroll. If you push on the D-pad, a fallback cursor will pop-up to support TV mode.

46346369-d1b96080-c615-11e8-9668-19cd7c3ebddf.png

46346402-eac21180-c615-11e8-98c2-45afe70f9572.png

Last edited by vgmoose,

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That looks awefull! No really.
Idea is good though, but the look and feel is just not right.

Make it look more like a real Appstore. You are using a cms, so downloading an Appstore skin shoulf be easy. If you need help with compiling a whole new One let me know happy to help!

This has been reviewed now. Very nice :D!

Last edited by BvanBart,

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
this is not an appstore
its just a website

clickbait
this is not an appstore
its just a website

clickbait

It doesnt claim to anything else ... oh i see you want full fledged app on your console ... let us fuckin walk b4 we start running.

Bernhard

Psycho
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i like it...

the basestyle is solid a little bit of fine machining needs to be done..
for example the icons (dns,IRC,Discord ...) need to get in one line...and they need to stick on top...
but really i ve no other complaints

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesnt claim to anything else ... oh i see you want full fledged app on your console ... let us fuckin walk b4 we start running.
i have no issues with the site
using the title Homebrew Appstore makes it sound like an app thats all im saying

watch a bunch of people are gonna come in this thread thinking the same thing

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
Offer two theme one light and one dark.
And you will rule them all.

A site like that I personally love it white. that how I am used, App store are white at least here.

Also it need some Icon (favicon.ico?)

The name is a bit vague, ''Homebrew App Store'' just that we do not know that Switch :)

I suggest also you offer ''Switch'' like theme, that us Red/White and simple icons no shadow nothing.

The font itself is not bad but isn't it too bold? (I like it but does it fit what do you think others?)

Now about my suggestion :
White background for webpages but not too white a bit less so it does not kill your eyes ^^
All the title color, normalise them, that a rainbow right now and really not fit all that Switch, maybe something more red, a nice tiny gradient would kick :D
About your icons I actually like that following the red gradient and make the inner icon transparent will make it close to Switch !
The top bar I like it just why did you name it ''Switch appstore'' and the site does not follow it :) ?

I know I sound really bad here but I am just trying to give my personal view on it.
Right now we do not have huge database of homebrew so it can be a bit like you want but later it will be hard to change your way without having peoples rage.
Beside all that I really like the idea.
And who know in futur it will be possible to have custom application on switch like that. (Ashop ? app shop)
Diffinitly I will follow it.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Offer two theme one light and one dark.
And you will rule them all.

A site like that I personally love it white. that how I am used, App store are white at least here.

Also it need some Icon (favicon.ico?)

The name is a bit vague, ''Homebrew App Store'' just that we do not know that Switch :)

I suggest also you offer ''Switch'' like theme, that us Red/White and simple icons no shadow nothing.

The font itself is not bad but isn't it too bold? (I like it but does it fit what do you think others?)

Now about my suggestion :
White background for webpages but not too white a bit less so it does not kill your eyes ^^
All the title color, normalise them, that a rainbow right now and really not fit all that Switch, maybe something more red, a nice tiny gradient would kick :D
About your icons I actually like that following the red gradient and make the inner icon transparent will make it close to Switch !
The top bar I like it just why did you name it ''Switch appstore'' and the site does not follow it :) ?

I know I sound really bad here but I am just trying to give my personal view on it.
Right now we do not have huge database of homebrew so it can be a bit like you want but later it will be hard to change your way without having peoples rage.
Beside all that I really like the idea.
And who know in futur it will be possible to have custom application on switch like that. (Ashop ? app shop)
Diffinitly I will follow it.

This site has come from our wiiu app/site. i guess some people werent aware of that. as it uses the same template, where we had a complimenting app for the console.Hopefully we can follow this with an app , who knows.

i could simply add a white or light theme option and may do .. not a priority but easy enough.

i kinda like the font .. is google's Product sans from the latest android version.
We have a red and light theme shown on our DNS page seen here : https://www.switchbru.com/dns but i wanted to try and emulate the switch's dark theme.
It is named such as we tend to offer several tools over time.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@pwsincd Very nice. Finally you're "here" at the Switch section. I always loved your appstore for the Wii U and used it to send ppl links to specific homebrew apps.
this is not an appstore
its just a website

clickbait
Somehow it is and you should be thankful that someone is making efforts to collect everything available at one place.

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i have no issues with the site
using the title Homebrew Appstore makes it sound like an app thats all im saying

watch a bunch of people are gonna come in this thread thinking the same thing
It is an app store though technically

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whoops! It looks better on a Macbook then iPhone. Should have checked that before commenting.
Still, if you could use help let me know. I am a web developer myself :).

D

Deleted User

omg it looks so nice, too bad i updated...
anyway i hope this stays open for a long time
because like most homebrew app stores
they shut down within 1-3 years of being up

Reactions: Tsubakiandou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...