T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello,

currently I'm playing with the thought of picking up a dstwo solely for its SNES and GBA emulators. I have a few classic games that I would like to play them on my DS, but it's not clear to me whether they work good enough with dstwo's emulators.

Basically I want these games to work !flawlessly:

SNES:
- Secret of Mana
- Illusion of Gaia/Time
- Terranigma
- Soul Blazer
- Super Soccer

GBA:
- Final Fantasy VI
- Advance Wars Series
- Mother 3 (with fullspeed!)

Is there perhaps a decent compatibility list that I missed?

Then I have another question. I'm also playing with the thought of picking up a PSP. How do its emulators (SNES/GBA) compare to the ones of the dstwo?

Thank you :)

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP emulators literally kill the DS emulators but its not the DStwo's fault. Its the amount of RAM available in a DS.

Go here for GBA compatibility. SNES compatibility doesn't have a list that I'm aware of.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
PSP emulators literally kill the DS emulators but its not the DStwo's fault. Its the amount of RAM available in a DS.
The DSTwo uses it's own built-in RAM.

@T.Kuranari Unfortunately even with the DSTwo's extra power it cannot emulate the SNES and GBA flawlessly. CATSFC can emulate most SNES games acceptably. As for the GBA emulation again it emulates most games acceptably (some would say perfectly apart from the button configuration) but I do not believe they will be acceptable to your standards.

I cannot comment on the PSP SNES and GBA emulators.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow Buleste thanks for regurgitating my post and adding that you don't know about PSP emulators. Very helpful :P One question Buleste how much RAM is available in a PSP 3000? Emulators are put to shame by the PSP because of the DS RAM. The Supercard DSTwo tries to correct that fault BUT it is not to be blamed for poor emulation....the DS is. How can you fault the Supercard for adding RAM to allow emulation at a higher level?!

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Woah jimmy, where did Buleste stomp on you toe in his post? He just stated the facts about DSTwo emulation abilites and mentions he cannot comment on PSP emulation...probably because he doesn't know about it?
Nothing to be taken personally, neither does he faults the Supercard or whatever :blink: keep cool. It IS true that even with DStwo additional capabilities to the DS not everything runs perfect with emulation.
@T.Kuranari
If you want those games to run with little to no flaws possible then a PSP will do the job better.

Reactions: 2 people

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer to use the wii for emulation since I modmii hacked it. Never realized gba games would look so good on a 40" screen.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
the latest unofficial GPSP Kai (GBA EMU) runs games like mother 3 at 100% framerate (333mhz settings).

PSP EMUs > DS Emus, really.

Oh, the PSP1000 has 32MB ram, PSP2000 (and up) has 64MB ram.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Wow Buleste thanks for regurgitating my post and adding that you don't know about PSP emulators.
First as you only stated that
PSP emulators literally kill the DS emulators but its not the DStwo's fault.
so how was my advising the original poster that the SCDS2 cannot emulate the SNES and GBA flawlessly regurgitating your post especially as you hadn't really advised the original poster what you thought of the SNES and GBA emulators?

Second. I cannot comment on PSP emulators and how good or bad they are as I do not own one. Is being truthful a crime?
Very helpful :P
Thank you.
One question Buleste how much RAM is available in a PSP 3000?
I don't know. I don't own a PSP. Have you thought about looking it up on Google?
Emulators are put to shame by the PSP because of the DS RAM. The Supercard DSTwo tries to correct that fault BUT it is not to be blamed for poor emulation....the DS is. How can you fault the Supercard for adding RAM to allow emulation at a higher level?!
The original poster is asking about the emulators for the SCDS2 which utilise the extra CPU and extra RAM so the size of the DS RAM has nothing to do with the quality of the SCDS2 emulators. The fault probably lies within the programming (the improvements made by Shadeuxcat and BassAceGold in the original SNES emulator released by the SCTeam proves that) and/or the fact that the CPU on the SCDS2 isn't quite powerful enough.

BTW did you know that double posting is against forum rules. You should really use the edit button rather than double posting.

Now that I've answered your questions could you please stop hijacking other peoples topics and trying to involve me in a puerile flame war.

@Keram Thank you.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I've played through Mother 3 on my PSP and it was pretty sweet, no problems at all. Also played many other games on the GBA and SNES emu's, as well as Megadrive/Genesis and ScummVM.
The PSP kills the DS emus.
The Supcard DSTWO is good but not a patch on what the PSP can do.

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks guys :)

I didn't know that the PSP emus own the DS emus that much. Has anyone personal experiences with the games I mentioned running on a DSTwo? What about the image quality of GBA/SNES games running on a PSP? As far as GBA games go, I would prefer to play them on my DS lite because of the better suited screen resolution.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSTwo's emulators kill the native DS emulators like SnemulDS or NesDS (since the DSTwo has extra CPU power and RAM to work with), but PSP would fair better in the long run. Too bad no one ported Snes9x 1.52 or 1.53 yet.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that the PSP emus own the DS emus that much. Has anyone personal experiences with the games I mentioned running on a DSTwo? What about the image quality of GBA/SNES games running on a PSP? As far as GBA games go, I would prefer to play them on my DS lite because of the better suited screen resolution.
I can't say I've played all of the games on your list (I only tested them really :/), but the ones I remember trying worked well enough. They were playable anyways, though holding the two side by side, the DS does seem slightly less smooth than the PSP. All in all, both work and really, for certain games, only the OCD would really find a problem with playing it on a DS instead of a PSP, but with that said, all is well with a PSP :3.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo can run those games, but as stated it's not perfect. Some people don't mind, some do. As for Mother 3, it should run fine most of the time, but the timing with the attacks may not be possible for example (though I've never been good with those anyways).

As it's been stated, emulation on the PSP blows the DS out of the water for multiple reasons. The PSP has more RAM, a more powerful processor, a higher resolution with a better GPU (so SNES and GBA games can run at native resolution or filtered scaled up), and even though the DSTwo does give the DS access to a better CPU and more RAM, it's not as good as the PSP and it's limited in how it can use it for a couple technical reasons. Hell, the PSP's so much more powerful it has an N64 emulator (though most games run at 50-75% speed with graphical glitches, such as ocarina of time). If you're considering making a purchase for portable emulation, a PSP will give a much more satisfying experience than anything on the DS.

That's not to say that the DSTwo is useless, it has many great features for DS games and it's GBA/SNES emulation is functional, but it's not perfect.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is the reason I bought a DS-Lite, Acecard and ez-flash 3in1.
To perfectly play DS, GBA and Gameboy color/ classic games on ONE handheld where they belong.
+ very good price for all of it.

For snes and nes I prefer an actual tv and my Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rolleyes: