Tempmas 2010 results!

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats to the winners, but... Well, I just think it's not the right idea to require people to work so hard just for a chance to win something at Christmas-time. It's like a parent telling his kids that he got one of them a nice gift, but they have to find it via scavenger hunt, and the kid who finds it first gets it. I thought this was a fun idea once, but the whole deal just causes a bunch of strife and jealousy. Not exactly Christmas spirit, you know?

That's just my two cents... I hope the next Tempmas is more giveaway-oriented.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Smash Br0 said:
Congrats to the winners, but... Well, I just think it's not the right idea to require people to work so hard just for a chance to win something at Christmas-time. It's like a parent telling his kids that he got one of them a nice gift, but they have to find it via scavenger hunt, and the kid who finds it first gets it. I thought this was a fun idea once, but the whole deal just causes a bunch of strife and jealousy. Not exactly Christmas spirit, you know?

You realize the prizes are FREE?
I don't see any problem in here.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Infinite Zero said:
Smash Br0 said:

he's just annoyed deep down because he thought that despite the small chance of being the one lucky 3ds winner, he would be it and be all "omg, i never expected to win"

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mercluke said:
Infinite Zero said:
Smash Br0 said:

he's just annoyed deep down because he thought that despite the small chance of being the one lucky 3ds winner, he would be it and be all "omg, i never expected to win"
(time to suck it up to him
evil.gif
)

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Smash Br0 said:

No pain no gain.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Doesn't matter if they're free or not... The winners had to work to win them, so they're not completely "free" anyway.

Not really. After the second clue, I decided that the miniscule chance of winning something was not worth the time and effort required to decipher the clues.

I'm generally pessimistic about winning giveaways - I don't get disappointed that way.

(time to suck it up to him)

I don't care, I just don't think it's the right idea for Tempmas.

No pain no gain.

How would you like it if you had to solve a puzzle for a chance to get a Christmas present? Wouldn't you be bitter if you spent even a few hours trying to solve it, only to find out that you did not win anything? I would think that I wasted my time... I admit to entering many such contests in the past, and in my experience it's better to quit while you are ahead - your time is more valuable than a slight chance at winning a prize.

Again, just my thoughts! It's nice of GBAtemp to do any kind of giveaway at all. I merely think that Christmas time is not the time for scavenger hunts, or the disappointment that comes from wasting one's efforts. With more standard giveaways, said disappointment is much lessened, since the time investment required is only minutes instead of hours. Even last year's Tempmas was better than this year's, IMO - the creations submitted as entries by our community were enjoyed by those who saw them, so even those who didn't win anything got a little Christmas spirit.

Christmas and competition don't mix well if you ask me. With standard giveaways, or giveaways with easy entry requirements, most Tempers will participate and might be suprised if they win. With giveaways like scavenger hunts or puzzles, many Tempers won't even bother playing, and those that do play but don't win will be more bitter since it wasted more of their time than a standard giveaway would have.

That's all I've got to say about this.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Any type of competition will always have winners and losers and there will always be some disappointment. It's usually the younger lot that gets disappointed.

Some people participated just for fun and don't care about winning or losing.

Anyway, this is starting to go off topic. Wish you a Happy New Year!
smile.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smash Br0 said:

It's not like it was difficult. It was actually fun.

Besides, there are a huge amount of members here. It would be incredibly expensive to give something away to all of the members. Even so, we must consider that some may never actually visit and therefore wouldn't know there's anything to gain. With those problems, they may have to limit giving something away to the more active members. Even then, I have no idea who you are.

This year's competition was fine.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like it was difficult. It was actually fun.

That's your opinion... I'm sure many of us didn't think it was fun at all, and it was plenty difficult IMO.

Besides, there are a huge amount of members here. It would be incredibly expensive to give something away to all of the members. Even so, we must consider that some may never actually visit and therefore wouldn't know there's anything to gain. With those problems, they may have to limit giving something away to the more active members.

So you think the most active members should be catered to? And I don't see how doing a regular giveaway would be any more expensive. The prizes themselves were great, it's just the manner of winning them that I find unfitting.

Even then, I have no idea who you are.

Why does that matter? Who I am is not important - I'm just voicing my opinion.

This year's competition was fine.

Again, your opinion. I think Tempmas 2010 catered to the most active members.

What's done is done, though... I just hope next Tempmas will be more standard.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Smash Br0
You realize that if you wanted to win,you'll do it.If you don't,then don't.
That's what you did,and that's good for you.
This contest was optional,so stop complaining. Some win,some lose,people should accept that.

Did it cater to frequent members?Sure. The fact you had to go to filetrip and shoptemp gave that away. But if you know your way(lurkers for example) this wouldn't be a problem. Besides it's weird if a new user won(like 3DStemp,who turned out to be Hatsu,but that's a different thing).

Oh and I was joking about the sucking up thing,don't take it wrongly.

parrasvolta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Days ago i explain my situation with my activity with the site and someone told me i am a lurker, first time i heard the term, generally i visit the site just for see new the realeses and the news on homebrews, one day notice the topic about the tempmas hunt, find it interesting, do it, have fun and win, i wasnt expecting to win.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped