Temp Debates: Plenary

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,846
  • Replies 32

Should we do something like this again in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• When you have some more projects that need doing, jet

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
3972882tempdebates.png

Debates Plenary and Awards

What GBATemp said...

Can we live without modern technology? The 'Temp says we can.
Will the world end in 2012? The 'Temp says 'fuck no'.
Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Should it be legal in the UK? The 'Temp thinks that it should be legal
Media Censorship? Protective or Restrictive? The 'temp believes media censorship is restrictive - but only just!
Health and Safety laws. Protective or restrictive? Protective, 13 to 7
Cannabis (plant) should be legalized. Oh really? The 'temp says yes, 21 to 8, but it's use should be enforced like tobacco.
Medical Research on animals. Does it do more good than harm? It does good.
Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave :Yes, they should. 8 to 5.
Evolution or creation: how did human beings come about? : Tempy say, tempy do. We evolved, 27 to 11
Is there a God - the final debate, even if I rigged the polls slightly, 29 said yes, 41 said no, 28 said 'maybe'. So there is, by majority, no god.

OK. Now that's over with, I'd like to say something. Some of you may have noticed this at the bottom of my debates -

QUOTE said:
5077 -lastTD, uC 1TrolleyDave,20ddity, 3FAST 4Blood Fetish stat G ---chazLD

-It's a reminder to tell me how many views all the combined debates got, which I am pleased to say had over 8000 views. The names mean who I thought were the best contributors to the debates, who I am again pleased to say goes like this.

1. TrolleyDave - the best contributor, making great points in many of the debates
2. Blood Fetish - making great points in a number of debates
3. FAST - not so much making ppints, but adding good references and making sure he had quality answers
4. 0ddity - for contributing a lot, too.

I would have yay-ed Nar39753075035750 Fr34934u30503750, but he got banned, so...

For the last debate on religion, that I rigged slightly, I would like to a)apologise for myself
ohnoes.png
and b)commend _Chaz_ for noticing my poll-swap and getting a mod to change it, and contributing well, even if he lost his cool a bit, and (M)artin for his overall diligence, and not losing his temper. It was quite a...heated debate, and I'm glad that it went relatively well.

Thanks for helping me, too, as I needed a place to practice debating skills (and actually develop them, heh heh.) You guys have secretly helped my projects too, so a big thank you to all you guys.

Enjoy, and if I have things like this planned in the future, I'll let you know.

~jet™

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
You also need to apologise for rigging the results. Commending _Chaz_ for noticing is like saying you'd planned to do it all along to see if anyone had noticed. That wasn't the case. You admitted that you did it because you simply didn't like the way the poll was going.

D

Deleted User

OP
TrolleyDave said:
You also need to apologise for rigging the results. Commending _Chaz_ for noticing is like saying you'd planned to do it all along to see if anyone had noticed. That wasn't the case. You admitted that you did it because you simply didn't like the way the poll was going.
-changed. I can't help myself on that. Look a the past 9 flawless debates. So sorry. My deepest apologies to the 5 or 6 people affected by my stupidity.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Should keep doing it, there's always something to debate, and you don't learn anything by only attending circle jerks.

edit:
I see I missed the marijuana legalization thread, but might I suggest a debate sometime in the future about the legalization of all recreational drugs.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jet™ said:
-changed. I can't help myself on that. Look a the past 9 flawless debates. So sorry. My deepest apologies to the 5 or 6 people affected by my stupidity.

Those weren't "flawless."

I believe if anyone can come up with interesting debates, it'd be Dave.
The man has quite the point of view.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Also, the last couple got way out of hand. I tried to keep my posts within the realm of actual debate, not emotional opinion throwing. For future debates, I would suggest more structure, requiring participants to use the A-R-E debate format (assertion, reasoning, evidence.)

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
Also, the last couple got way out of hand. I tried to keep my posts within the realm of actual debate, not emotional opinion throwing. For future debates, I would suggest more structure, requiring participants to use the A-R-E debate format (assertion, reasoning, evidence.)

I agree with you completely.
As I said when you introduced yourself, your posts are pretty interesting, but your debating skills...
Let's just say, you can definitely debate.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I wasn't the one who noticed the poll swap. I was just the one who cried about it.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Actually, I wasn't the one who noticed the poll swap. I was just the one who cried about it.
I did. Good job fact checking your own thread though. Your blatant and active dishonesty in a debate that you knew people were against even being opened because it is an extremely sensitive subject makes me a bit angry. I've certainly lost any respect I had for you.

If the debates continue to be run by you, I will not be taking any part in them.

D

Deleted User

OP
phoenixgoddess27 said:
jet™ said:

Those weren't "flawless."

I believe if anyone can come up with interesting debates, it'd be Dave.
The man has quite the point of view.
agreed. Dave PMmed me with some great C&P topics, but his point of view in the debates was really good.
My debate skills may have improved slightly due to this, and again a big thanks for helping me.

I was torn for ages about a religion debate as it is a really sensitive subject, but in the end, I'm glad I did it.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jet™ said:
agreed. Dave PMmed me with some great C&P topics, but his point of view in the debates was really good.
My debate skills may have improved slightly due to this, and again a big thanks for helping me.

I was torn for ages about a religion debate as it is a really sensitive subject, but in the end, I'm glad I did it.

It wasn't a religion debate. You focused on God, not religion.
I didn't see any other religions being spoken of.

If you think rigging improved your debate skills, you may want to practice actual debating.

D

Deleted User

OP
phoenixgoddess27 said:
jet™ said:

It wasn't a religion debate. You focused on God, not religion.
I didn't see any other religions being spoken of.

If you think rigging improved your debate skills, you may want to practice actual debating.
Ouch. This whole rigging thing has really punctured me, hasn't it. Look, I do debate, actually, but the whole point of these debates were to help me in my project and my debates. On the side, you had some fun, minus the sensitive topic. It was a religion debate, whether you see it or not. I'm neck-high in shit because of this debate, but the fact that it went through made me happy.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jet™ said:
Ouch. This whole rigging thing has really punctured me, hasn't it. Look, I do debate, actually, but the whole point of these debates were to help me in my project and my debates. On the side, you had some fun, minus the sensitive topic. It was a religion debate, whether you see it or not. I'm neck-high in shit because of this debate, but the fact that it went through made me happy.

It wasn't a debate about religion at all, it was an argument between two factions of people telling each other to "prove it". And yes, the whole rigging thing has punctured. It's showed you to be untrustworthy when left in charge of something. Rigging poll options because you feel like you are "losing" is pretty low in my opinion, and doing it in no way helps you in whatever project you are doing because the results are not accurate.

A debate on religion would have included examination of prophets, whether the rules and philosophies could be written by man or could only be divine inspiration and also a comparison between different religions and what they teach and promote.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jet™ said:

How can it help you when you tried to cheat though? That's not a debate. Yes, we had fun with the beginning debates, but then they just got out of control and should have either stopped or had control regained. The debate itself would have been great. If it was actually a religion debate. Was Buddism in the entire topic? No. Taoism? No. Catholicism? No. Islamic? No. Mormonism? No. And etc. It was just about whether God existed or not. When you play fairly, then be proud.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
0ddity said:
I wouldn't mind running debates, but as I would also participate actively in them, I dunno if people would want me to.

I'd be up for that. I think if it's going to be a regular thing it needs some finessing though, like a set of rules etc.

D

Deleted User

OP
phoenixgoddess27 said:
jet™ said:

How can it help you when you tried to cheat though? That's not a debate. Yes, we had fun with the beginning debates, but then they just got out of control and should have either stopped or had control regained. The debate itself would have been great. If it was actually a religion debate. Was Buddism in the entire topic? No. Taoism? No. Catholicism? No. Islamic? No. Mormonism? No. And etc. It was just about whether God existed or not. When you play fairly, then be proud.

This isn't a debate. Please stop. My fingers hurt from typing. You're right. Enjoy.

QUOTE(Shinigami357 @ Sep 12 2010, 04:39 PM)
wow, seriously, i missed this??? (newly repaired pc broke down on me, lol)
Same here.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o