Team Cyclo and the DSi

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Blythe31, Apr 16, 2009.

Apr 16, 2009

Team Cyclo and the DSi by Blythe31 at 8:09 AM (6,120 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Blythe31
    OP

Member Blythe31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not going to ask if the evo works on the dsi, I know it doesn't.
    I'm just wondering if there are any updates from team cyclo?
    Any hint of progress? I'm not sure where to stay updated with this stuff since the forums have been down for so long.
    Also, I see people arguing back and forth whether TC will have to make a new flash cart to be able to run on the dsi, or be able to do a firmware update.
    Which is more likely? I don't see how they'd do the latter due to the cyclo having to update while running and the dsi not reading the flash carts whatsoever.

2. Mailyfesux

Newcomer Mailyfesux Advanced Member

United States
    If anything new happens and its not on TC's site, someone will know about it and probably post it here. Otherwise, everyone's on the same page. Nobody knows more or less than you.

I believe that they are already working on the new firmware. Dont know when it will be released.
    Dont know about the new flash cartridge either.

Just wait and see.

On a side note, i dont know what you mean by:
    please rephrase. haha

3. Blythe31
    OP

Member Blythe31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    everytime they release a firmware, you download the updater.exe and drag it onto you sd card right?
    then you load that onto your Evo and run it from the ds and your flashcart automatically updates.

Idk how they plan on doing that since the dsi wont even recognize the Evo.

4. kantaris

Newcomer kantaris Newbie

United States
    The answer is:

We don't know yet - if there was some groundbreaking news or something cool, don't you think it would either

A: Be posted on the GBAtemp frontpage
    or
    B: Splattered all over the forums?

5. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    Well, team cyclops released a video of the cyclo working on a DSi a long time ago. However, it apparently wasn't stable so they didn't release the firmware.

While TC may need to release a new cartridge altogether, I think it's possible that the original carts will work because of the cyclo's built in ram (which stores the firmware onto the cartridge itself and is upgradable). Granted, if you already own a cyclo, you might need a DSlite/DS to update the firmware first. they can also ship the new cyclos with an updated firmware so that the newer carts will work right out of the box.

This is all speculation of course.

edit: @PharaohsVizier great minds think alike? xD

6. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I would be really surprised if Team Cyclops isn't working on a DSi solution, but knowing them, they probably want to perfect it and make it resistant against Nintendo firmware updates. They may also want to release their highly anticipated new firmware with the release of the DSi solution, so that could also be delaying it. Either way, we'll get a DSi solution from Team Cyclops at some point.

7. moshn

Newcomer moshn Member

United States
    i don't know but, lets just hope it quick lol waiting for so long haven't even open my dsi just waiting for that day

8. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    This is what I don't get sure its business but look at all the competitors that are making flash carts for the DSi. Cyclo isn't just going to make it while everything is still buying, they are going to make the flash carts when the competition is going down.

Plus a CycloDS does cost a lot, even more than actual DS game. However its worth every cent

9. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's really no point in them bothering with DSi until there's a significant market which won't exist for some time...

10. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    correct me if im wrong but the cyclods does not have an updatable bootloader.

11. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States

It's firmware is flashed directly to the CycloDS itself. Whether that effects the bootloader....I don't know. The stuff in the CycloDS folder on the microSD are just support files the CycloDS wrote when a new firmware is booted for the first time. And TeamCyclops tends to update the firmware quite often.

12. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    To all those saying you'd need to use a DS Phat or Lite; Theoretically, you're wrong. You would, theoretically, update the CycloDS, and then update the DSi. If you update the DSi first, and don't have access to an old DS, you're theoretically screwed.

13. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    SO far, no new news what so ever about Team Cyclo's Dsi flashcard. Only time can tell.

14. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada

I looked it up and TC cannot change the image during the booting process, which leads me to assume the bootloader is not updatable.

15. punkyrule

Member punkyrule GBAtemp Regular

Philippines

This is what TC has, maybe this is what we'll get.

16. mo_thug_85

Newcomer mo_thug_85 Member

United States
    when do you think this will be launched. i got a dsi and really want a cart for it.

17. punkyrule

Member punkyrule GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    i'll get a DSi next week or befor june but maybe i'll get EZ flash Vi because of the upgrade or the newer version/kernel and also because the TC would take a lot more time in trying to figure out how to get in to the DSi mode using their flashcart. [​IMG]

18. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    I'm sure they've already "figured it out" (everyone seems to have; can't be that hard), it's a matter of whether they think it worth it to put a new model into production and sell it. Not a lot of people own the DSi at the moment and if Nintendo manage to block flashcarts for good then that's a lot of investment just vapourised into thin air.

19. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthrea...0062&page=7

Basically, no one knows if current flashcarts are future-proof as far as updates or DSi titles are concerned. Team cyclops is more concerned with releasing a quality product than a fast one so expect to be waiting.

20. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I've been hoping they can just do a FW update to get the half-assed compatibility like other carts have now in their "i" carts (you know, works in DSi, but doesn't unlock DSi mode), then once DSi mode is cracked, release a FULL CycloDSi that supports DSi mode too. If they could manage that, they would be gods in the flashcart community.