Tapatalk support?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
about the skin: that's not how it works.
when you visit the regular site with your mobile you automatically get to use the mobile theme.
you don't need to do any switching.
and when you use your account again on your computer, you still have the main default skin.

so yeah, still no point in using Tapatalk IMO
of course, I can understand that people are used to it if they already browse other sites with it :)
I just want to make sure people dont start recommending each other an application that costs money AND that doesn't do anything better than the mobile skin itself.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Spoiler: Tapatalk is too unified to support each forum's unique features. It's designed around the concept of a forum, not how a forum actually works.
The mobile skin can be edited by staff as needed, whereas Tapatalk would limit the improvements that can be made to the board.

EDIT: IPB do offer a free iPhone app, and from what I understand it will be making it's way to Android soon.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When there's a functional mobile skin, it doesn't necessarily make Tapatalk worth getting exclusively, but if you want to get it, whether including using it for other sites or not, it's there. I know I've repeated this probably way too often, but I appreciate the ability to make a choice of the options rather than being stuck to one, even if it is preferable.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
When there's a functional mobile skin, it doesn't necessarily make Tapatalk worth getting exclusively, but if you want to get it, whether including using it for other sites or not, it's there. I know I've repeated this probably way too often, but I appreciate the ability to make a choice of the options rather than being stuck to one, even if it is preferable.
I can see exactly where you're coming from, but Tapatalk is designed around a stock installation of any forum software. Start adding, and modifying chunks of code (as GBAtemp does quite extensively) and things start to break and behave differently. It's a very selfish view that "WE MUST HAVE SUPPORT FOR X CLIENT", because while yes, it does give you another option, it does so at the expense of the customizations that make this site unique. (i.e. the "options" of the majority, and the administration team)

EDIT: Exactly what Costello said.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm in the minority here but when I visit the site on my iPod I do get the mobile site. However, when I get back on a PC the site loads with the mobile skin and I have to change it. Every time.

Also, the new blog section is awesome. But...the fact that it's not accessible from the forum index means the only time I'll ever check it is when I'm at work. That's not a bad thing. I don't visit GBAtemp to read blogs, I usually just end up there after I've caught up on everything I care to catch up on.

As far as the gallery is concerned, no offense at all but that's not a feature I will ever use.

The only thing I'm not getting on Tapatalk is notifications, which is another thing I will not miss. It's nice to know when you've been quoted or who likes your posts but it is not an essential function of the forum. When someone's name is mentioned, somehow, they always find their way to it. It's like a sixth sense or something :P

So, for my purposes, Tapatalk does everything I need it to. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I appreciate the ability to utilize it.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can subscribe to threads in Tapatalk (separate from following a topic via GBAtemp itself) too. If you're on the Android version, you can access the subscribe option from the menu or holding down on the thread in the list.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe I'm in the minority here but when I visit the site on my iPod I do get the mobile site. However, when I get back on a PC the site loads with the mobile skin and I have to change it. Every time.

I had that problem before, but clearing my pc cash fixed that somehow. Might do the same for you.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP

I had that problem before, but clearing my pc cash fixed that somehow. Might do the same for you.

I didnt try logging in to my account from my ipod so i wouldnt know.
I have only used the mobile theme as a guest... will need to look into it some time but it seems strange.
would be weird if the IPB developers hadnt thought of that, it seems logical to me

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I didnt try logging in to my account from my ipod so i wouldnt know.
I have only used the mobile theme as a guest... will need to look into it some time but it seems strange.
would be weird if the IPB developers hadnt thought of that, it seems logical to me
I've tried the same on both an iPod, and an Android phone. In the wise words of the Apache bug reports team: "Cannot reproduce". However, changing the theme to it's full version while logged in, and switching to the mobile skin again DOES do this. My advice is, if you've accidentally switched to the full site view, refresh your cache and cookies (easy enough with Mobile Safari).

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The mobile theme is automatic on my phone as it should be, and it doesn't change when on my computer. Haven't tried with an iPod yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.