MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
neoxephon said:
That's right, donelwero and I have decided to start a Tales of Hearts English translation project. This will be a full translation and as such it will be quite awhile before it is ready. The project literally just started today, so we are not too far along. I have completed about 90% of the game menu. Besides the game menu, everything else is untouched at this moment.

Some screenshots of the game menu:
gamemenu.jpg

gamemenucombat.jpg

gamemenuitems.jpg

gamemenuload.jpg

gamemenusave.jpg

gamemenumonsters.jpg

gamemenusystem.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Project Started: 7/22/09
Game Menu: 90% complete
Battle System: 0% complete
Items, Artes, etc: 2% complete
Script/Dialogue: 0% complete

Hackers on the team...
neoxephon
donelwero

Translators on the team...
None yet

Programmers on the team...
None yet

------------------------------------------------

We are in need of a translator or two and possibly a programmer!

We need one, maybe two, people that can and are willing to translate the Japanese in the game to English. I say one or two because if we get too many then there will not be a consistency with the script in the game.

We could use at least one person that can program some small utilities for the project. For example, the script will be a lot easier if we can get a script dumper/inserter made for the game.

Also, the game uses extensively a custom archive under the file extension .dat with a corresponding .b file. We would need a utility that allows us to unpack the files, edit them, then repack them. We have one person that has written a program to do this for the game in the past. However, it has not been confirmed if he is willing to do it for us.

If someone else has the knowledge to write these programs, your help will be greatly appreciated.

If you're interested in taking one of these job spots, please PM either donelwero or I or both of us.

More screen shots of other areas in the game will come as they are available!
and what hacking skills/experience do you have? it seems to me that in most translation projects the hackers are the programmers

neoxephon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolfmanz51 said:
and what hacking skills/experience do you have? it seems to me that in most translation projects the hackers are the programmers

When I say programmer, I am talking about someone that can program utilities in C or .NET or a similar language. This isn't really a requirement for hacking a ROM, mostly because the utilities are not always required. A script dumper/inserter is not a requirement, however it does lessen the pain of changing a game script.

donelwero and I are capable enough to hack the rom. We didn't just download a popular game and say lets translate it. We looked through the various files for the games, determined how things were developed and decided that the game would not be categorized as one of those impossibly insane games to hack.

Don't worry, we know what we are getting ourselves into.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great, I love these projects. Just looking back on the older ones to systems like the SNES and you see how many games people would have missed out on if somebody hadn't bothered to hack them. Someday the DS is going to be defunct, and kids will be picking up these obscure titles for emulation and patching them.

Was this the game that had two versions of FMVs? Does it make any difference in the patch, and if so which will it work for?

I'm still amazed at their reluctance to localize some of these. That Tales of Innocence never arrived either, and it seems like they did pretty good work developing it--for a DS game.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Bleh, if I could I would translate but like I stated on the DQIX menu translation I'm not sure I can ATM.
Anyways I'm really happy since I played till like half of ToH(but then decided not to play anymore for some reason :S) and it's a great game!
AND it makes me even happier(and proud in a certain way
tongue.gif
) that possibly if I hadn't started my little translations for DQIX this may not be happening!

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice someone is working on it. I was going to do this Noitora but we ran into some problems. I probably won't be able to help though as I have some other things to do but I can point you in the right direction. You can follow Kouli's guide for the Artes, Skills, Unison Attacks, etc. He has everything translated. I use this for reference if I don't know wtf I'm reading.

As for the dialogue, look for someone named GreenFire1. He has almost all the skits completed (I believe he is on #172 right now. I'm not sure.) He has the first part of the skits here. You can see his first part here. You can probably get into contact with him and he can possibly help.

I wish you the best of luck with this. If you need any help, you can try pming me but my Japanese is nothing to brag about. It's enough to get me by to play Japanese but again, I'm not fluent in the language but I'll help as much as I can. But again, I wish you luck.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah this is very generous of you, I just hope you know that you don't get discourage by all the insensitive people whining when its going to be done.

Big Kong Boss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I pray to God that this does not end up like the KH: 358/2 Days Mini-translation thread.

I too wish you the best of luck with this project. It is very generous that people devote the time to work on this.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good start so far. Wish I could help, but I have no useful skills. Instead I'll be cheering from the sidelines and hoping this gets completed.
smile.gif

neoxephon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argh, multi-quote doesn't seem to work for me, so here we go...

@dib and Icleong: Currently, we have been working on the anime edition. However, we will eventually test it on the CG edition. I haven't really looked at the CG edition, but as far as I know the only difference between the two are the movies. Another words, I'm pretty sure that when everything is said and done, it should work on both editions.

@golio: Yeah, the game is awesome and the 2D graphics make it all the more better. And yeah, if it wasn't for the DQIX menu translation, donelwero and I probably would have never worked together and then this project wouldn't exist. Him and I work quite well together.

@Rock Raiyu: Thanks for all the links, I'm sure they'll be useful.

@DarthNemesis: We'll do that and take you up on your offer!
smile.gif

@Canonbeat234: If they do, I plan on either ignoring them or using the famous "It'll be done when it's done." line.

@linkenski: By the time we release the patch, it'll be 100% English (besides the voice acting, of course). We plan on doing something similar to how Absolute Zero has done the ToI translation. This means there will be no patch until everything is 100% complete.

@mrfatso: We sure will.
smile.gif

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
but still i think u guys should lie and say that this is a hoax and start doing work on the translation in secret , since u guys know just how impatient the guys at gbatemp are, so ...
biggrin.gif

translation would be something that i am unable to do other than literal translation haha or typing them to just be their romaji version :X or the mother of all bad translation, google power
tongue.gif

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Good luck. I appreciate good people like you all.

And don't let noobs get to you (if there will be any coming), just ignore them, you don't even need to give a damn to read their posts when they don't read yours.

Actually I appreciate translations only released when completely finished, so I can just play through the thing without waiting for further updates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game