Hacking Taking Screenshots?

leavemealone347

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be a really nice feature if you could go into the soft reset menu and have an option to take a screenshot of what was on the screen at the time. It would be handy for people who are running DS game sites or whatever.

It could then just save the picture file into a special folder using the ROMs name so it could be found easily (if multiple pics just append numbers onto it)

Is there homebrew that does this?

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
No but there is a hidden feature in the CycloDS firmware (not sure if its still in the latest version) where after pressing a certain button combination it dumps a .raw of the bottom screen to the root of your SD card. Raw bitmaps can be opened in a graphics application such as Adobe Photoshop etc and saved to a more suitable format like png, jpg etc.

I only found out by accident one day when i saw a capture.raw on the root of my media and wondered how the fuck it got there. So i went to Team Cyclops forums to complain about a bug and ended up finding out that its just a hidden beta feature that was never finshed.

Sorry i dont have a link to the thread where they mention it now, it was months ago when i last checked.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Interesting find, Tri...

Another option of getting Screenshots from DS games is opening the ROM up in an NDS emulator and saving them to your computer
smile.gif

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wondered where I got those capture.raw files from... I don't remember pressing a random button combo tho, it just appeared when I installed 1.3B1

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they actually got part of that feature worked out, did they? I'm surprised. I saw them discussing it at the CycloDS forums a month or two ago, but I didn't realize they actually got as far as creating the raw capture files. Perhaps they merely got stuck on the "how do we convert this to a human-viewable format on the DS itself?" part.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
L + R + Select screenshots a .raw file

You can use tools like irfanview... just drop the file and it will open. You must than enter the following parameters to see something looking like a screen cap : 256 bytes width, 24BPP, colors order: RGB, interleaved

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
So they actually got part of that feature worked out, did they? I'm surprised. I saw them discussing it at the CycloDS forums a month or two ago, but I didn't realize they actually got as far as creating the raw capture files. Perhaps they merely got stuck on the "how do we convert this to a human-viewable format on the DS itself?" part.
It only works in the CycloDS GUI, not in games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1