T-Mobile Claims Right to Censor Text Messages

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
5ytvm.jpg

T-Mobile told a federal judge Wednesday it may pick and choose which text messages to deliver on its network in a case weighing whether wireless carriers have the same "must carry" obligations as wire-line telephone providers.

The Bellevue, Washington-based wireless service is being sued by a texting service claiming T-Mobile stopped servicing its "short code" clients after it signed up a California medical marijuana dispensary. In a court filing, T-Mobile said it had the right to pre-approve EZ Texting's clientele, which it said the New York-based texting service failed to submit for approval.

EZ Texting offers a short code service, which works like this: A church could send its schedule to a cell phone user who texted "CHURCH" to 313131. Mobile phone users only receive text messages from EZ Texting's customers upon request. Each of its clients gets their own special word.

T-Mobile, the company wrote in a filing (.pdf) in New York federal court, "has discretion to require pre-approval for any short-code marketing campaigns run on its network, and to enforce its guidelines by terminating programs for which a content provider failed to obtain the necessary approval."

Such approval is necessary, T-Mobile added, "to protect the carrier and its customers from potentially illegal, fraudulent, or offensive marketing campaigns conducted on its network."

It's the first federal case testing whether wireless providers may block text messages they don't like.

The legal flap comes as the Federal Communications Commission has been dragging its feet over clarifying the rules for wireless carriers. The FCC was asked in 2007 to announce clear rules whether wireless carriers, unlike their wireline brethren, may ban legal content they do not support. The so-called "network neutrality" issue made huge headlines last month, when Google, along with Verizon, urged Congress not to bind wireless carriers to the same rules as wireline carriers.

EZ Texting claims it will go out of business if a judge does not promptly order T-Mobile to transmit its texts. T-Mobile accounts for 15 percent of the nation's wireless subscribers.

A similar text-messaging flap occurred in 2007, but ended without litigation, when Verizon reversed itself and allowed an abortion-rights group to send text messages to its supporters.[/p]

Source

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
You know what T-mobile you already gave me hell to pay a fucking bill that could of have been paid if you could of just let get my pay at that end of the week. That's why I removed myself from EasyPay. T-mobile is also making me pay for something that they didn't explained to me. Now it wants to control my txting?! Heaven forbid, this decision can cause a backlash on them.
dry.gif

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone explain this to me in easier words?
I have tmobile but I can't read this right now

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:

Basically, the short code providers want the cellular network to work as a "dumb pipe" If a user signs up for alerts on Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, AA Meetings, Lavalife, or Ringtones (in so far as it is not illegal) it should come through. T-Mobile argues it's their right to "object" to material transmitted on their network, even on just moral grounds.

Let me know if that helps.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn you T-Mobile. If I want to send and receive horrible, explicit, immoral messages that is my choice, not yours.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
Gore said:

Basically, the short code providers want the cellular network to work as a "dumb pipe" If a user signs up for alerts on Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, AA Meetings, Lavalife, or Ringtones (in so far as it is not illegal) it should come through. T-Mobile argues it's their right to "object" to material transmitted on their network, even on just moral grounds.

LOL@Taking Gore seriously.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dangy said:
jesterscourt said:
Gore said:

LOL@Taking Gore seriously.
why wouldn't you?
I do have T-Mobile and I was really fucked up when I wrote that so I wanted it to be explained to me

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
craplame said:
Are you serious? I have T-Mobile. Ugh, I don't want them reading my texts. This just makes me hate my service so much more.

They already read your texts. Rod bless the patriot act.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-