Gaming System will not turn off... Please help.

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the past week my computer system has taken the liberty of turning itself on whenever I try putting it into a sleep state or shut it down. Only way to keep it off is to manually switch it off in the back. Flipping it again keeps the system off until I press the power button. In some instances it's caused the BIOS to corrupt or something, erasing my settings partially or resetting the date and time. Anyway here's the specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
ASUS ExpressGate (Installed to C.)
ASUS P5QL PRO Motherboard (Latest BIOS available for motherboard)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz)
4GB DDR2 667 RAM (2x1GB sticks, 1x2GB stick)
Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

The trouble seemingly began once I updated the drivers for my wireless keyboard/mouse combo. I'm using the Logitech S510 keyboard and mouse combo. One night as I shut my PC into a slumber state I proceeded to remove the batteries from the keyboard for recharging. As I did the system suddenly reset and proceeded to say something went wrong in the BIOS. Upon checking my BIOS I discovered all my settings along with the date/time had been completely wiped. Not wanting to deal with it I just shut down the PC and tried again after work the next day. I reset all the settings back to how I had them and that night tried again to put the computer in a sleep state. It shut down as normal however suddenly powered back on again and sat with a blank screen, nothing would function at all. I was forced to reboot to get it working again.

Finally, tonight I just decided to shut it down all together instead of going into a sleep state. It shut down, then powered back on beginning the booting sequence. Once Vista loaded to the user screen I chose to try setting it to sleep. And of course, it goes into its sleep state then promptly awakens again with the blank screen and nothing responding. Took another manual shutdown via the switch in back to turn it off. I flipped the switch again, hit the power button and got the BIOS error. Went into the BIOS and it once again erased my settings except for the date/time. I set them again and rebooted. This time at the ExpressGate screen I chose to shut down the system before it would have a chance to boot via the option at the ExpressGate menu. For those who don't have an ASUS motherboard, ExpressGate is a mini OS built into the motherboard that when installed and read off the primary C drive lets users surf the net without having to wait for the main OS on their system to load and everything, it's extremely limited.

But anyway, when I turned it off the system turns off then promptly turns back on goes back to the ExpressGate menu. I've tried it several times but for some reason the system just won't turn off and STAY off. I don't know if the BIOS is somehow to blame for this or not but I've yet to try doing a full BIOS reset (CMOS clear or whatever it is by removing the cap from the motherboard.) to see if that'd help. If anyone's heard of this problem or knows why it may be doing this please help me out! I'm sick of my PC turning on all by itself... And to clarify, up until last week it wasn't doing this, the system would turn off/enter sleep state with no problems. I could leave it asleep for days on end and it would never awaken unless I hit a key on my keyboard or moved the mouse. Now it wakes up or turns out without any user interaction.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not seen anything like this before - but I've had (in the past) my PC switching on by itself for no apparent reason

I later found out that the BIOS battery was failing - & in doing so it was resetting the BIOS to 'default settings' - one of which was an option to 'wake on COM' (or something like that - so long ago I can't remember the exact text)

Found out that this option was to switch on the PC IF it receives a signal on the COM port (like from a Dial-up modem).

It could be something similar to your problem (except that the 'wakeup' signal could be coming from something else) - your battery COULD be failing & resetting the BIOS to a 'default' setting (hence the clock being wrong) & in doing so one of the 'wake-up' options (You might have a 'Wireless wake-up option' for example in the BIOS) is enabled when it wasn't before

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's possible but the system would still hold the settings even after being shut down and turned off so I'm not sure if that was the problem. But anyway I resolved it by removing the battery and putting it back in. Somehow something must have gotten corrupted in the BIOS causing the problem. To be sure I bought another battery and replaced it. Everything's running fine now, PC turns off and stays off. When I set it into a sleep state it stays that way until I wake it. Thanks for the info on the battery tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: I am trying to hack Fire Emblem Warriors on my 2DS XL, I have been trying to get it to work, but...