System-wide button remapping for the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by aydio, Aug 13, 2014.

1. aydio
    OP

aydio Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Hi guys,
    I wonder if it's possible or if there's a homebrew application that allows me to remap certain buttons on the DS. The reason I want this is because I have a handicap on my right hand which doesn't allow me to press for example the B and R buttons simultaneously. Depending on the game, I want to remap less important actions to the shoulder buttons.
    Thanks for your help!

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    there is no homebrew which can do this AFAIK...

but i do think you can use cheat codes to remap the keys, the problem is you have to build them yourself or ask a friend who is experienced to do it.. it is not easy.. or someone to make a rom patch...

do you will stay handicaped for a really long time? or it is a temporary thing?

3. aydio
    OP

aydio Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I was born that way. It worked out well with other consoles/handhelds so far but the DS is giving me some trouble. Using a cheat code is a good idea.. but can I search for game values within the game (R4i RTS 3 DS) or do I have to use an emulator for that?

4. 7iven8Nine

7iven8Nine Shrek's Memelord

Nov 29, 2014
    United States
    Here
    Anybody ever get anywhere with this? I need o switch my L and R buttons

5. xalphax

xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Nov 18, 2006
    Croatia
    here'n'there
    Theoretically one could use an altered version of FlashMe to remap the buttons I guess.
    If you alter the ARM7 code for reading the hardware registers for the buttons.
    Then the buttons would be permanently switched though, until you reflash your DS.