Hardware System update to use microsdxc card question

JS1025

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I recently purchased the sx pro kit. I read I don't know how many different threads talking about fat32 and exfat support. I finally decided on using exfat since some people talked like it worked fine for them and they didn't have the size restriction. I followed the tx guide and put the boot.dat and sxdumper.nro files on the microsd card. I created the emunand backup. I then did the license activation part and inserted the card back into the switch. Now when I turn it on, I get the "a system update is required to use the microSDXC memory card" message. I have read different things to do, but not sure exactly which threads are correct. Could I just reformat the microsd card to fat32 and redo the whole process over again and then be fine? Any help is appreciated.

Thank's

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest backup your your sd card and format back to fat32 because unless your just going to be using your sd card for switch games exfat should be okay but you will eventually get a corrupted sd if you decide to use homebrew like retroarch or other homebrew apps. I use to use exfat but I switched to fat32 because if I recall correctly my sd card corrupted like 3 times and I had to format it just to put all my games back in. That could take a good 2 hours or less depending how many files you have and how much memory each of them are.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For fat32 don’t worry about size restrictions since you could do things like usb install from your computer, you no longer have to remove your sd card to put in large files.

Last edited by fst312,

JS1025

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thank's for the reply. I don't have any homebrew applications or anything on it. Only planning on switch games. So just to make sure, backup everything on my card to my pc, then reformat from exfat to fat32, then drag everything back over to the newly formatted fat32 card and then everything including the license will be good to go? No need to redo the emunand backup or anything again?!

Thank's Again

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thank's for the reply. I don't have any homebrew applications or anything on it. Only planning on switch games. So just to make sure, backup everything on my card to my pc, then reformat from exfat to fat32, then drag everything back over to the newly formatted fat32 card and then everything including the license will be good to go? No need to redo the emunand backup or anything again?!

Thank's Again
Not to sure how sxos actually works but I think the license shouldn’t be affected but when it comes to dragging your files back in after you back up your files everything should be good to go.
The thing is I use atmosphere and for all that to work I just need the files in my sd card, so I believe sxos should be the same when it comes to the files required to make it work.

Last edited by fst312,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to be safe, it’s best to ask your sxos question here about your license file. When I don’t know something switch related I usually post here and someone would reply. I’m almost certain what I told you is all you have to do but it might be best to get a user that has sxos to confirm this for you.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs