SXOS 1.6 is buggy

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Nincompoopdo, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    I just updated to SXOS 1.6 using ftpd to transfer the boot.dat to my Switch - once I exited the ftp app, it freezes. This never happened before, I use ftp to update every single time without any problems.

I hold down the power button until the display is off and send the payload but it refused to boot. I thought I bricked it, so I remove the SDcard and manually put back 1.5, guess what? It boots.

This time I did a proper shutdown and transferred 1.6 using SDcard, and it boots. I ran homebrew NX Shell to check the files, it crashed. Wow, this is one buggy update!

Edit: Since 1.5 there are error messages that I never encountered before, I think 1.4 is still the most stable.

Last edited by Nincompoopdo, Aug 27, 2018
  2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    I hang on me after exiting homebrew a few times before.

I can guess that file FTPed with error over to your sdcard.

3. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    1.6 update is fine here and so were the last ones. The problem is more their FTP implementation more than anything else.

4. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    though the OP is talking about using ftpd, i.e. a homebrew application. It should have nothing to do with TXs (horrible) FTP implementation in SXOX 1.5.

5. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    I don't have any problems, but if I switch games long enough (like maybe 20-30 times, not immediately but over a few days), it sometimes crashes when starting a game and I have to power off the Switch. This has happened since the first version though. Same with homebrew (with TX Menu and the Homebrew Launcher).
    You should not update the boot.dat while the system is running.

veddermandan likes this.
  6. coffinbirth

coffinbirth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Well, looks like I'm sticking with 1.5 for the time being. No biggie, as everything works pretty flawlessly. Yet to encounter an xci or nsp that hasn't worked. I've only had retroNX crash on me a couple of times whist fiddling with the video settings. Specifically, toggling "start in fullscreen".

Speaking of which, I cannot get it to display to the dimensions of the switch screen. I've tried everything. I got it to work once, but it did not save the config, apparently. Anyone know the solution? Delete and try again, or is there a newer version than 0.9.7? I cannot seem to find any info about this particular version of Retroarch, which seems odd. Sorry if this is off topic, but I guess it is related to SXOS issues, sort of.

7. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    I always update the boot.dat by replacing it with the new file, never have any problem with it until this version.

8. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    are you transfering the file over FTP, though or are you taking the microSD out of the switch?

Either way, I do remember a lot of people having issues with launching SXOS or stability when the card was fragmented. It might be worth a try to copy everything from the SD to your PC, formating the SD and putting everything back on so see if the problem persists.

9. BuriA

BuriA Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2018
    Philippines
    yes 1.4 is the most stable. got an error on 1.5 freezes switch.

10. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    that's not what I meant, you said:
    You should not do that. Turn off the switch, insert the microSD into your computer and replace the boot.dat. If it's still not working, try reformatting your microSD. Use FAT32, not exFAT because it has a lot of problems.

11. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    Don't use ftp to transfer the boot.dat

Andalitez, veddermandan and detonyle like this.
  12. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Like jakkal said dont ftp the boot.dat are you silly ?
    How can you overwrite a file that is in use by the sx os boot.dat is essentially its operating files and your trying to overwrite them whilst it is using it ? no wonder you freeze over ftp take ya sd card out and stop being lazy

jakkal likes this.
  13. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    No wonder it gets corrupted.
    Real stupid to try to replace a file while it's being used

14. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Excuse me why i go format my c drive and try to use windows .. F T S I O

15. oleg77

oleg77 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2016
    Belgium
    Maybe there's something else here : Nincompoopdo wrote : This time I did a proper shutdown and transferred 1.6 using SDcard, and it boots. I ran homebrew NX Shell to check the files, it crashed.
    Test with another SD card ?

16. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Home brew error, or user error if hes trying to transfer a file that is in use no wonder he may have issues else were due to in correct methods or bad sd

Last edited by Canna, Aug 27, 2018
  17. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Case closed this is just an end user issue

fixingmytoys likes this.
  18. The Real Jdbye
    This message by The Real Jdbye has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 27, 2018.
    Aug 27, 2018
  19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's probably loaded into memory and read from there.

20. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Everything required by SX OS is loaded into RAM at boot, modifying or even deleting the binary on your SD card makes no difference. The problem here has already been stated, their implementation of FTPD is old and outdated, the latest releases have fixed any and all issues I've seen from the SX OS fork of it.

21. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I stand corrected then

22. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    *facepalm* Y'know when you point a finger, there's three pointing back at you, right?