Hacking Sx os to atmosphere

Agim iljazi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm started to get annoyed by how long it's taking for the sx os to be updated. Is there much in it from going from sx os to atmosphere ?

Reactions: Barrytoo

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
All they need to do is literally copy&paste atmo to their boot.bin (or whatever is it called).

To get ams, Just copy&paste atmo to your SD and get sigpatches. Done. But you won't be able to use your EmuNAND, USB loading and XCI loading as of now.

deltamind106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm started to get annoyed by how long it's taking for the sx os to be updated. Is there much in it from going from sx os to atmosphere ?
Yeah they are going out of their way to be the last to release updates. The only reason I use SX OS is to play the .xci dumps that I made of my cartridge library, so the minute atmosphere has that feature, I'll be ditching SX OS.

I don't think TX cares much any more about updating SX OS. They made their money, and now the cash flow is slowing down since all the new switches are ipatched and fewer and fewer people are buying their product. The people who can use SX OS have already bought it.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All they need to do is literally copy&paste atmo to their boot.bin (or whatever is it called).

That is not really how it works. You can't just boot Atmosphere through SX OS, they block that.

But back to OP: ever noticed that window that pops up under the thread title form, the one that says "Similar threads with keywords"?
Would have been probably one of the best ideas ever to look at that when you type in titles, because it would have literally brought you to

[Tutorial] From SX OS to Atmosphere

which is not only a tutorial to make the move, but also lists the pros and cons.
Probably would also have been a convenient place to put your question.

Just sayin'.

TL;DR:

If you don't need
  • Emunand
  • XCI Loading
  • USB HDD support
then holding on to SX makes no sense.

You might as well set it up so that you can use both (well, as long as you don't update past 7.0.1). Tutorial covers that.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah they are going out of their way to be the last to release updates. The only reason I use SX OS is to play the .xci dumps that I made of my cartridge library, so the minute atmosphere has that feature, I'll be ditching SX OS.

I don't think TX cares much any more about updating SX OS. They made their money, and now the cash flow is slowing down since all the new switches are ipatched and fewer and fewer people are buying their product. The people who can use SX OS have already bought it.
Atmosphere is never getting xci loading

Just like luma never got .3ds loading

Installing nsps is likely the best you will ever get with atmosphere

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just like luma never got .3ds loading

Installing nsps is likely the best you will ever get with atmosphere

I'm just hoping for USB HDD support I like playing mainly in Tv mode and prefer to keep the smaller games on SD for when I am on the go best of both worlds plus after this year the Switch will have a good amount of games to play and files are growing

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just hoping for USB HDD support I like playing mainly in Tv mode and prefer to keep the smaller games on SD for when I am on the go best of both worlds plus after this year the Switch will have a good amount of games to play and files are growing
There isn't even USB support as mounted drive in Atmos yet, let alone the possibility to install nsps to this, which SX also can't do.

deltamind106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which begs the question... why? The reason seems to be "because it enables piracy." Well guess what, Atmosphere itself enables piracy. Yes there are many valuable non-piracy uses for Atmosphere, so they build it anyways. But, there are also valuable non-piracy uses for XCI loading, yet for some reason "Atmosphere is never getting XCI loading", because reasons?

I dumped my whole cart library to XCI files and store them on a USB HDD, and it's super handy to pick them off a menu from my sofa. This is the only reason I still use SX OS.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which begs the question... why? The reason seems to be "because it enables piracy." Well guess what, Atmosphere itself enables piracy. Yes there are many valuable non-piracy uses for Atmosphere, so they build it anyways. But, there are also valuable non-piracy uses for XCI loading, yet for some reason "Atmosphere is never getting XCI loading", because reasons?

I dumped my whole cart library to XCI files and store them on a USB HDD, and it's super handy to pick them off a menu from my sofa. This is the only reason I still use SX OS.
Another reason it won't happen is because nsps already serve the piracy function - so why would a dev spend time getting xcis working when he could focus on some new avenue?

Also, please see this article about "begging the question"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

It is a logical fallacy, and the term is commonly misused

deltamind106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, please see this article about "begging the question"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

It is a logical fallacy, and the term is commonly misused
Well buddy, "begging-the-question" is what regular people interested in having a conversation call 'slang'. Yes if you add up the words and apply strict grammar and interpretation, then they don't make logical sense, but everyone knows what you're talking about when you say it. But thanks for the 16th century latin history lesson. lol

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't even USB support as mounted drive in Atmos yet, let alone the possibility to install nsps to this, which SX also can't do.

SX has reading capabilities so it's possible they just chose to not allow writing capabilities in permissions correct? (files have to be added through pc to HDD)

as far as why Atmos chooses to not support reading/writing of HDD for this long is baffling to me

but yet tinfoil (game install program right?) allows reading of a HDD :glare: .. still haven't had the time to play around with all this stuff

deltamind106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as far as why Atmos chooses to not support reading/writing of HDD for this long is baffling to me
With 512GB micro SD cards running about $100 these days, do you really need a USB/HDD? Sure the HDD is cheaper, but I would think you can probably fit most people's entire cartridge library on a 512GB card. You'd only need a full HDD if you were mass-downloading hundreds of games.

I'd much rather have XCI support, so I don't have to fuss around with converting my XCIs to NSPs and then installing them to my console.

I guess everyone has their favorite feature that they want, and the devs prioritize what they think is best.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With 512GB micro SD cards running about $100 these days, do you really need a USB/HDD? Sure the HDD is cheaper, but I would think you can probably fit most people's entire cartridge library on a 512GB card. You'd only need a full HDD if you were mass-downloading hundreds of games.

I'd much rather have XCI support, so I don't have to fuss around with converting my XCIs to NSPs and then installing them to my console.

I guess everyone has their favorite feature that they want, and the devs prioritize what they think is best.
Nice thing about hdds is most people already have a few 500gb or so lying around

SD cards are a new expense

skinnyBIGGS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Crappy i really wanted to play switch games docked off of usb hdd. Just as my ps2 ps3 ps4 wii wiiu lol...the ability to preserve your games in prestine condition is always a must for me thanks to crippling OCD lol

Reactions: Teletron1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM