Hacking Question SX OS and emunand question

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you enable AutoRCM while upgrading your emuNAND with ChoiDuJourNX, autoRCM will NOT be activated on sysNAND but emuNAND, which is useless. It'll only work if you do it on sysNAND.

So that's what happened to me.

I installed the 6.2.0 update using ChoiDuJourNX after creating an emuNAND and had the scare of my life after the system rebooted into sysNAND/OFW/Horizon.

AutoRCM was definitely enabled in ChoiNX (as it is by default), but my heart sank when I saw the console booting normally instead of giving me a black screen (RCM).

Checked the system version: still 1.0.0. Rebooted into RCM, injected CTCaer-Hekate and checked the number of burned fuses: 1. Crisis averted.

Later, I enabled AutoRCM using SX OS's bootloader, so that should work from now on, right? And is there any way of disabling whatever form of AutoRCM was implemented in the emuNAND by ChoiDuJourNX, since it doesn't really work? I don't want conflicting software.

That doesn't make any sense.

You either use the dongle to boot into CFW or CFW emunand
You don't use the dongle to boot into OFW

If you use the dongle, then decide to boot into OFW you just press the OFW option.

You could use a dongle to inject a bootloader in order to boot into OFW without burning fuses, no?

Only starting the system normally (without booting into RCM first) would burn fuses - if the sysNAND's version doesn't match the fuse count, that is.

wiewiec

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What do you even mean "official firmware via emunand"?

Emunand set to "enabled" or "disabled" toggles between booting into emunand or normal nand when you press the CFW option.

Emunand via OFW could be good for on-line, like x-box 360 dual nand have some time ago

eliboa

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Later, I enabled AutoRCM using SX OS's bootloader, so that should work from now on, right? And is there any way of disabling whatever form of AutoRCM was implemented in the emuNAND by ChoiDuJourNX, since it doesn't really work? I don't want conflicting software.
Yes, if you enable autoRCM with any bootloader it'll work. I don't think you can disable autoRCM on emuNAND but don't worry, only 1 byte is altered in boot0.bin at offset 0x0210 (if i recall correctly), nothing dangerous.

Last edited by eliboa,
Reactions: CapCaveman

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, if you enable autoRCM with any bootloader it'll work. I don't think you can disable autoRCM on sysNAND but don't worry, only 1 byte is altered in boot0.bin at offset 0x0210 (if i recall correctly), nothing dangerous.

Probably enough to get him banned if he conectt to internet

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i have a question , if i want to preserve my 2.30 OFW , and i use emunand and update emunand with choidoujour to the current FW version then i will still have to enable auto RCM unless it will burn my efuses right?
there is no way to preserve my 2.30 sysnand without using auto RCM correct?
and what is the worst that can happen with auto RCM?
i see it is possible to get a completely dead battery and not be able to boot at all , although shetix has a video how to fix this without opening the console and removing the battery for charging
but how does your console even get to this state using auto RCM?
can i use sleep mode with auto RCM without this happening?

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you use legit games on emunand?

I own Dragonball Xenoverse 2 and I installed the dlc for it via .nsp. but I can't seem to play using my actual game card.

How do you update emunand firmware too by the way? My emunand was created on 6.1 but is asking me to update to 6.2 to boot some games.

wiewiec

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
so i have a question , if i want to preserve my 2.30 OFW , and i use emunand and update emunand with choidoujour to the current FW version then i will still have to enable auto RCM unless it will burn my efuses right?
there is no way to preserve my 2.30 sysnand without using auto RCM correct?
and what is the worst that can happen with auto RCM?
i see it is possible to get a completely dead battery and not be able to boot at all , although shetix has a video how to fix this without opening the console and removing the battery for charging
but how does your console even get to this state using auto RCM?
can i use sleep mode with auto RCM without this happening?

It is also my concern... and really wanna know how AutoRCM handles also emunand... maybe TX made some option to virtual handle emunad fuses count emunand it will be great... i think maybe it is somehow possible I am not tech guy... but I do not know what situation is in xbox 360 that also have fuses to burn and sometime ago was possible to have dual nand on console (that case was phisycal nands) - do not know if microsoft fixed this by some stability improvement or not... but TX could have some knowledge about this kind of crap.

Anyway my experience with AutoRCM was bad... I thought let's try... and try to power off was pain in the ass and probably when you try to fuck up process to special kind of turning off the console and you have like I have... 12 hours later console not turning on - but it is not problem to fix it, but only pc or maybe smartphone wandle it - dongles isn't working in this case - I found tutorial on Youtube with quic search.... Because console stays in RCM mode, you must inject hekate, use desync fix from options, and inject cfw payload to boot on cfw and charge console to 100%, but I also have problem even after 100% console still not cope up I must to deactivate AutoRCM, because my dongle still not inject SX OS, so done hekate and disable rcm, reboot and rebooted as normal...

This is messy becuse, normal cutt of kick to rcm, and you do not know if you're there without dongle connected.

Maybe some hackers exploit RCM to show up sth on screen to notice that you're there... or make homebrew like Vita have to totally cut of power - one of this kind soulutions make me to another use AutoRCM.

But if you fuckup badly and forget about console on rcm for for a mont you have problem... but it is possible to kick in battery to charge externally since it is li-ion

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes ;) on card only staty licese and sx os after creating emunand -> then copy back content that you backuped -> boot to sx loader, set emunand as enable on main screen and boot to cfw, but as I stated in this thread I do not know what really do booting to oficial firmware when emunand is set as enable, so i will update emunand to 6.2 and will see...
Just to be clear- my SXOS is now on the latest beta. I have copied the contents of my SD card to my computer. I have booted the Switch back up using the dongle and jig and have selected option>emmunand>make emmunand.

Once I have done this, the SD card will be wiped, correct? Is it then just a simple case of me copying the contents back onto the card and booting it up again?

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes, if you enable autoRCM with any bootloader it'll work. I don't think you can disable autoRCM on emuNAND but don't worry, only 1 byte is altered in boot0.bin at offset 0x0210 (if i recall correctly), nothing dangerous.

Thanks for the answer!

As for AutoRCM on emuNAND, I could reinstall the same firmware using ChoiDuJourNX and make sure to disable AutoRCM in that software. That would probably disable the useless AutoRCM on emuNAND, no?

But, like you said, there may not be a point to it until at least there’s an actual update to the firmware.

Unrelated, but I haven’t linked my Nintendo Account yet. Where should I do it? SysNAND/OFW/Horizon? OFW via bootloader? Or on emuNAND/CFW/SX OS (the least likely option, from what I understand)?

Can you use legit games on emunand?

I own Dragonball Xenoverse 2 and I installed the dlc for it via .nsp. but I can't seem to play using my actual game card.

How do you update emunand firmware too by the way? My emunand was created on 6.1 but is asking me to update to 6.2 to boot some games.

What version were you in before creating the emuNAND? Or what version is your sysNAND, currently? I believe that if you were on a firmware lower than 4.0.0 and then update without burning fuses, your game card slot becomes unusable depending on the method used (preventing the GC slot update in order to allow a future downgrade; or updating the GC card slot and rendering it useless if you downgrade).

Also, to update to 6.2.0, I’m pretty sure you just use ChoiDuJourNX while making sure that you’re actually on emuNAND.

Think I did it:) Can I update my games/play smash bros/update to latest firmware over wi fi now? System firmware on CFW is currently 5.1.0

I recommend always updating offline, especially on CFW.

Boot into SX OS’s emuNAND (make sure that it says emuNAND on the logo) and update using ChoiDuJourNX. Since you’re on emuNAND, you can disable AutoRCM in ChoiDuJourNX, since it won’t do anything. You can’t enable AutoRCM in SX’s own bootloader (while in RCM, go to options and select install AutoRCM).

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
Think I did it:) Can I update my games/play smash bros/update to latest firmware over wi fi now?
Thanks for the answer!

As for AutoRCM on emuNAND, I could reinstall the same firmware using ChoiDuJourNX and make sure to disable AutoRCM in that software. That would probably disable the useless AutoRCM on emuNAND, no?

But, like you said, there may not be a point to it until at least there’s an actual update to the firmware.

Unrelated, but I haven’t linked my Nintendo Account yet. Where should I do it? SysNAND/OFW/Horizon? OFW via bootloader? Or on emuNAND/CFW/SX OS (the least likely option, from what I understand)?

What version were you in before creating the emuNAND? Or what version is your sysNAND, currently? I believe that if you were on a firmware lower than 4.0.0 and then update without burning fuses, your game card slot becomes unusable depending on the method used (preventing the GC slot update in order to allow a future downgrade; or updating the GC card slot and rendering it useless if you downgrade).

Also, to update to 6.2.0, I’m pretty sure you just use ChoiDuJourNX while making sure that you’re actually on emuNAND.

I recommend always updating offline, especially on CFW.

Boot into SX OS’s emuNAND (make sure that it says emuNAND on the logo) and update using ChoiDuJourNX. Since you’re on emuNAND, you can disable AutoRCM in ChoiDuJourNX, since it won’t do anything. You can’t enable AutoRCM in SX’s own bootloader (while in RCM, go to options and select install AutoRCM).
when you say “boot into emunand,do you mean turn off the switch and boot into the recovery mode and then select emunand? Sorry,it’s confusing me a bit that’s all

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
when you say “boot into emunand,do you mean turn off the switch and boot into the recovery mode and then select emunand? Sorry,it’s confusing me a bit that’s all

Yes. Turn off the Switch entirely, boot into Recovery Mode (RCM) using the jig and by pressing down the volume + and power buttons. If you have the dongle inserted, it should display SX’s bootloader screen (if no dongle is inserted, a black screen will appear until you actually insert a dongle). If using SX’s dongle, make sure that it’s charged (using a MicroUSB cable, for example) before using it. It only take a few seconds until the green light shows up, meaning that it’s charged.

In SX’s bootloader, if you already created an emuNAND, it should say “emuNAND enabled” above the first option from left to right - load CFW. Tap that icon and you should be taken to the Switch’s home screen (as if it were a regular boot).

Open your album (third icon from left to right, I believe) and it should load SX OS’s home. Make sure that it says “emuNAND” on the SX logo.

On another reply, I mentioned the process of using ChoiDuJourNX.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Speaking of banning, if one is banned on emuNAND, is that ban localized to emuNAND? Or does that apply to sysNAND as well?

Nintendo bans consoles, so it should affect the entire thing, I believe.

Last edited by CapCaveman,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. Turn off the Switch entirely, boot into Recovery Mode (RCM) using the jig and by pressing down the volume + and power buttons. If you have the dongle inserted, it should display SX’s bootloader screen (if no dongle is inserted, a black screen will show up until you actually insert s dongle). If using SX’s dongle, make sure that it’s charged (using a MicroUSB cable, for example) before using it. It only take a few seconds until the green light shows up.

In SX’s bootloader, if you already created an emuNAND, it should say “emuNAND enabled” above the first option from left to right - load CFW. Tap that icon and you should be taken to the Switch’s home screen (as if it were a regular boot).

Open your album (third icon from left to right, I believe) and it should load SX OS’s home. Make sure that it says “emuNAND” on the SX logo.

On another reply, I mentioned the process of using ChoiDuJourNX.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo bans consoles, so it should affect the entire thing, I believe.

So,I did an emunand dump earlier. When I use the dongle and jig and boot up it says "Emunand enabled",do I then just hit "start/boot/LOAD CFW"?

I found this
https://team-xecuter.com/forums/thr...on-a-Banned-Nintendo-Switch-with-ChoiDujourNX

and it mentions a NAND dump, should I do this also?

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So,I did an emunand dump earlier. When I use the dongle and jig and boot up it says "Emunand enabled",do I then just hit "start/boot/LOAD CFW"?

I found this
https://team-xecuter.com/forums/thr...on-a-Banned-Nintendo-Switch-with-ChoiDujourNX

and it mentions a NAND dump, should I do this also?

There are two different types of NAND: regular NAND (also called sysNAND), which is your original SYStem’s NAND; and emuNAND (created using SX’s bootloader), a copy of your system NAND where you’ll be using homebrew (CFW - custom firmware).

If you already backed up (or dumped - those terms are interchangeable) your regular NAND/sysNAND, you don’t have to do anything else. It should be a “clean” backup, performed before you do anything out of the ordinary with your switch (such as loading CFW) or even updating it for the first time.

Make multiple copies of your NAND, along with the BIS keys, and store them in different safe places before continuing, as you’ll need them to restore your system to its original state (or even as a safe measure in case something goes wrong).

Once you’ve done that, you can create and use the emuNAND. The emuNAND serves to “separate” what’s going on inside of it from your system’s NAND. It’s not a perfect implementation, but it helps alleviate some of the issues and concerns regarding modifications.

That guide you linked talks about the regular NAND (sysNAND) backup, which you’ve said you already did. It seems that you’ve also already successfully created an emuNAND. So, yeah, just tap that icon where it says load CFW with “emuNAND enabled” above it and you’ll boot into SX OS on emuNAND.

Last edited by CapCaveman,

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Speaking of banning, if one is banned on emuNAND, is that ban localized to emuNAND? Or does that apply to sysNAND as well?

You share the same cert , unless someone is kind with you and give you his cert so you can have 2 consoles on 1(and if the method is available)that's why from now on emunand is only for offline use because if you upload 2 different status from the same console (I know you can put stealth method but we don't know what file is nintendo looking for)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You share the same cert , unless someone is kind with you and give you his cert so you can have 2 consoles on 1(and if the method is available)that's why from now on emunand is only for offline use because if you upload 2 different status from the same console (I know you can put stealth method but we don't know what file is nintendo looking for)
Well I was asking for more along the lines of using homebrew network stuff, not going on official Nintendo servers (for instance, connecting to WiFi to use In-Home Switching). Is stealth mode inside of emuNAND adequate for that, or is that far too big a risk?

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I was asking for more along the lines of using homebrew network stuff, not going on official Nintendo servers (for instance, connecting to WiFi to use In-Home Switching). Is stealth mode inside of emuNAND adequate for that, or is that far too big a risk?

I see ,I don't see why not but probably insta ban the moment you forget something ,maybe you can try it out and fill in the ban report as the first emunand ban jk ,from now on "offline emunand" is the 99% ban free but as you can see no one from sxos emunand with online has been banned(with stealth mode(according to more recent reports) so you are safe until next update server side? Fw? Who knows

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: make up his mind dude