Hacking SX Brickcode is Worse Than Expected, Can Trigger From Use

Jungle_Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
"All this will be discussed in a future write-up by @naehrwert and myself, but in the mean time, if you are that eager to disprove us, feel free to run their "data_80000000.bin" payload using something like hekate. Reboot your console and enjoy the brick magic!" - https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1012363021124079622

It's always hilarious when people are obviously wrong. It's just sad when you're able to look back at everything when it gets proven and see how many people spew falsities and ignorance and won't admit it still.

No one is denying the brick code being there, but outside of the Open Software Warriors (OSW ?) , people just don't care that it's there as long as it doesn't effect end users (i.e non hackers cant trigger it).

And for the people that have seemingly taken TX OS as a personal insult, if it's so bad how's your open source alternative coming along ?, you are working on one right . (last statement not aimed at kornychaos).

Last edited by Jungle_Jon,

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should we trust hexkeyz?
I'd say his reputation is probably higher than tx

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No one is denying the brick code being there, but outside of the Open Software Warriors (OSW ?) , people just don't care that it's there as long as it doesn't effect end users (i.e non hackers cant trigger it).

And for the people that have seemingly taken TX OS as a personal insult, if it's so bad how's your open source alternative coming along ?, you are working on one right . (last statement not aimed at kornychaos).

I think the issue highlighted within this very topics point to miss-triggering via os updating (could happen)

As yes the end user doesn't really care because it does what they actually want (backup loader)

Problem with open source is they don't want a piracy tag next to their work again this is a ethics issue, they have a right not to develop it but in the same breath they want to discredit TX and the shady practices, if they just made a backup loader to begin with tx wouldn't even be on the switch scene.

Jungle_Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the issue highlighted within this very topics point to miss-triggering via os updating (could happen)

As yes the end user doesn't really care because it does what they actually want (backup loader)

Problem with open source is they don't want a piracy tag next to their work again this is a ethics issue, they have a right not to develop it but in the same breath they want to discredit TX and the shady practices, if they just made a backup loader to begin with tx wouldn't even be on the switch scene.

The moment an end user get banned that changes everything.
Where is the source on Console updates potentially triggering the brick code ?

My point on Open software alternative still stands.

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should we trust hexkeyz?
He's been a notable player in the Wii U, Vita, and now Switch scenes for a while. The only people crying foul and questioning the validity of his claims are butthurt TX fanboys that can't stand the notion of having their precious CFW regarded as anything short of Xecuter's holy blessed gift to mankind, instead of the paywalled, brick-bombed heap of stolen code it actually is, hence the goalposts shifting from:

"TX DID A BETTER JOB THAN ATMOSPHERE EVER COULD YOU'RE JUST MAD BECAUSE YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT", through
"ATMOSPHERE GETS YOU BANNED BECAUSE RESWITCHED ARE INCOMPETENT AND STUPID AND TEAM XECUTER ARE SUPER MEGA SMART BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN IN THE SCENE FOR A VERY LONG TIME YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS", through
"THEY'RE JUST REUSING OPEN SOURCE CODE THAT THEY DON'T NEED AS A SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THEY'RE WILLING TO ACKNOWLEDGE HOMEBREW AT ALL YOU'RE JUST MAD LOL", to
"YEAH WELL THEY MADE ATMOSPHERE'S CODE ACTUALLY DO WHAT EVERYONE WANTED IT TO DO YOU'RE JUST MAD THAT THEY MADE ATMOSPHERE BETTER AND ARE CHARGING PEOPLE FOR IT HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW KIDS".

We get it, you'd rather take the side of the people that personally benefits you at others' expense rather than the people actually putting forth the effort to make any of this possible. You've made that more than clear already.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another problem, who is going to believe a new account that signs up just to say they got an SX OS brick..

The only way to sort this out is a very high quality write up (and not just any high quality, SciresM high quality) that provides a purely objective description of what is in the code, and the subsequent verification from independent non-biased sources.

That way, people have the necessary information to be able to make their own choices and accept any risks.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many licence agreements is a ton of licence agreements? One or two?

It amuses me how those discussions always turn irrational for the sake of defending the own view.

Btw, I don't want to add an opinion to this. I better stay out of this war of fanboys. But it's nice to watch.
One is too good damn many. However from what I've seen they've stolen open source work from at least half a dozen sources....

benecol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I did not ever think of that but yes that is true they can push an update out that would trigger it as soon as you boot the cfw.
They should just remove the brick code really.
I wonder whether this is possible, especially from a legal point of view. For me, this is unlikely to happen. I imagine a situation in which you buy a car, in which you modify engine power by custom ECU firmware and software update in the car detects it and immobilizes it. I do not know how to do it in the US, but in Europe, the law does not allow this. This of course is not a perfect example because the solution from TX is a classic jailbreak and this one in turn is legal in the USA, and in Europe this one is legal only if it is not used to circumvent DRM security:)

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The moment an end user get banned that changes everything.
Where is the source on Console updates potentially triggering the brick code ?

My point on Open software alternative still stands.

There is no source just hyperthetical(edit:a few pages back). I don't see it triggering myself, but it's definitely food for thought. if the os people just dropped a fw with a backup loader we wouldn't be in this issue.
Instead as soon as piracy is mentioned near their work they stop (sorry Hekate)

Last edited by SodaSoba,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder whether this is possible, especially from a legal point of view. For me, this is unlikely to happen. I imagine a situation in which you buy a car, in which you modify engine power by custom ECU firmware and software update in the car detects it and immobilizes it. I do not know how to do it in the US, but in Europe, the law does not allow this. This of course is not a perfect example because the solution from TX is a classic jailbreak and this one in turn is legal in the USA, and in Europe this one is legal only if it is not used to circumvent DRM security:)
Perfectly possible. They can clame the code safe all they want but even a small change to the system software could easily trigger it. Look at the gateway mess. They too claimed there code was safe.... Til legit users started bricking....

DeuX

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Who wants to use SX OS uses, who wants to wait for a free alternative feel free to do so. Aren’t we all (or mostly all) adults and responsible for our own decisions? I see allot of butthurt people around here

Phoenixx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only people crying foul and questioning the validity of his claims are butthurt TX fanboys
I keep seeing a number of people coming up with this "point", yet, aside from one obvious TX shill, I've seen more "fanboys" of this developer then of TX. You guys are just upset that we aren't coming out in arms against TX based solely on the blatant fearmongering from someone who openly hates, and is openly trying to steal the product of a specific company.

If this respected developer actually has something, if he has proof that SX Os can just out of the blue brick switches on normal use, yeah things will change, many of us probably will dump it. But so far all I'm seeing is a blatant smear campaign from someone who openly hates the company who's product he is decrying.

And I'm going to again reiterate a point many have already made. Why waste so much time trying to crack an OS that's so allegedly dangerous, rather than using the same time and effort to make an alternative? People want backup loaders, it's the primary reason most people outside of homebrew communities like this one even hack consoles. If SX OS is so dangerous, and these devs care so much to protect us, then why keep fiddling with the allegedly timebomb laden option, rather than working on a bomb-free alternative?

And don't even bother with the "but they'd be associated with piracy" stuff, as it's more than easy to release it anonymously.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep seeing a number of people coming up with this "point", yet, aside from one obvious TX shill, I've seen more "fanboys" of this developer then of TX. You guys are just upset that we aren't coming out in arms against TX based solely on the blatant fearmongering from someone who openly hates, and is openly trying to steal the product of a specific company.

If this respected developer actually has something, if he has proof that SX Os can just out of the blue brick switches on normal use, yeah things will change, many of us probably will dump it. But so far all I'm seeing is a blatant smear campaign from someone who openly hates the company who's product he is decrying.

And I'm going to again reiterate a point many have already made. Why waste so much time trying to crack an OS that's so allegedly dangerous, rather than using the same time and effort to make an alternative? People want backup loaders, it's the primary reason most people outside of homebrew communities like this one even hack consoles. If SX OS is so dangerous, and these devs care so much to protect us, then why keep fiddling with the allegedly timebomb laden option, rather than working on a bomb-free alternative?

And don't even bother with the "but they'd be associated with piracy" stuff, as it's more than easy to release it anonymously.
I'm in no way upset what you have to say about said developer. However I'd say you clearly don't care about theft of other people's hard work.... That's why people should be mad at TX. Not because of what someone has to say about them but because they are stealing others work and churning a profit from said work. In short they are the same as the one customer base. Blatent pirates who don't care about such things....

DeuX

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm in no way upset what you have to say about said developer. However I'd say you clearly don't care about theft of other people's hard work.... That's why people should be mad at TX. Not because of what someone has to say about them but because they are stealing others work and churning a profit from said work. In short they are the same as the one customer base. Blatent pirates who don't care about such things....

That’s a two way street. Maybe TX used a chunk of code from someone else without crediting them, but isn’t some developers doing the same by decrypting and releasing TX OS? One thing you can’t deny is that TX simply didn’t stole everything from developers, they actually wrote a functional backup loader from scratch

Phoenixx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, they aren't profiting off of stolen code. So far Atmosphere doesn't have a (at least publicly known) backup loader outside of brute forcing it with layerdfs. And the backup loader is the only part of SX Os software being sold. You can freely download and use the rest of it without paying for a license, and unless TX stole the code for the backup loader, I really don;t see an issue.

And before anyone calls me a TX fanboy, I've already pointed out in a previous thread that I'm not at all happy with SX OS as most of what I've tried on it doesn't even work right, and that I'm waiting for it to be fixed or a free alternative. I couldn't care less what happens to TX, I just can't stand obvious fearmongering.

Reactions: MehMeh27

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I wonder how many people really care that tx didn't credit some code.
I understand about brick code, some people might get worried, but, about not crediting code...?

Is that really going to make someone decide against tx?
People don't care if sx os is some artisanal, beautifully coded work of art, developed by a family in a bright room with flowers. If TX pirated CLion (or whatever they use) it doesn't make a difference to me.
Some people weren't happy to use freeshop when the creator was jailed for child abuse stuff.
Some people don't eat eggs from caged hens.
Some people are paralyzed by worrying so much about ethics and morals.

TX didn't credit some code, ok, move on.
If the original authors care, let them attempt to take legal action themselves.
I for one am not surprised what TX did, about the brick code, or taking code. I expected it.

Bigger injustices happen in this world.
If you want to make a difference, don't start bothering users on gbatemp.

Last edited by cearp,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We need kids to restrain themselves on the soap opera quality drama. Grow up already. 14 pages out BS... this is disappointing. Stop replying like hooligans unless something relevant comes up, like the promised technical write up. The stupidity of taking sides and acting like fanatics is nauseating.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how many people really care that tx didn't credit some code.
I understand about brick code, some people might get worried, but, about not crediting code...?

Is that really going to make someone decide against tx?
People don't care if sx os is some artisanal, beautifully coded work of art, developed by a family in a bright room with flowers. If TX pirated CLion (or whatever they use) it doesn't make a difference to me.
Some people weren't happy to use freeshop when the creator was jailed for child abuse stuff.
Some people don't eat eggs from caged hens.
Some people are paralyzed by worrying so much about ethics and morals.

TX didn't credit some code, ok, move on.
If the original authors care, let them attempt to take legal action themselves.
I for one am not surprised what TX did, about the brick code, or taking code.

Bigger injustices happen in this world.
If you want to make a difference, don't start bothering users on gbatemp.

Forgot about the free shop guy going down for cp, someone forked it and it still lives on...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu