Switching SD card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ArviDroid, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ArviDroid
    OP

ArviDroid Infamous temper

Mar 26, 2016
    Hi. I was thinking that I should fix A9LH for my cousins 3DS. He has the stock SD card at the moment and he won´t get a new one for some time. When I do fix A9LH for my cousins 3DS (on the stock SD card) and after that he gets his new SD card, is it as simple as just copying all files from the stock to the new one and A9LH and everything will still work? Sorry if this is extremely nooby, but I´m not taking any risks. Thanks in advance.

2. rikumax25!

rikumax25! Keyblade Wielder

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Process: 1)Turn on console with old SD, 2)move files to new SD, 3)Insert new SD while console is still on

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

that way you wont lose any data

3. ArviDroid
    OP

Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks!

Oh, I found how it was done on Nintendos website just now! It doesn´t say that you should leave the 3DS on though. Does leaving the 3DS on while switching SD card have anything to do with the files I inserted myself?

4. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    the 3ds creates data within a randomized number named folder (this name is saved into the console) so if a card is inserted that doesnt finds that folder with the exact name it will créate a new one with a different name, rendering the first one useless (the data that SD had)

5. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Why would you need to boot with the old sd card and hot swap? This is completely unnecessary. All you need to do is copy the files from the old sd card to the new one.

So copy the data to the new sd card before inserting it.

6. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    I've had some problems with passing over with console off (mostly day 1 o3ds consoles) so i take that precaution

7. ArviDroid
    OP

Mar 26, 2016
    Okay, now I´m not sure how to do it... Not a big deal but...

8. rikumax25!

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    Do as masher's said

9. ArviDroid
    OP

Mar 26, 2016
    Okay then. Thank you both for your help!

10. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Power off your 3DS. Put the old sd card in your computer and copy all the files. Then put the new sd card in your computer and copy the files to it. Put the new sd card in your 3DS and power on. It's that simple.

ArviDroid likes this.
  11. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    If he does ike mashers said, his downloaded games and saves may not transfer over. That is from experience with a friend's 3ds when he upgraded from 32 to 64 gb. Not sure if the same would happen though

12. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Downloaded games and saves are stored on the sd card. As long as everything is copied over, there will be no problem.

13. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    I know that but like i said, when my friend and i tried just moving the files over, it didnt work but it could of been an error or something. I guess the op can do what you said but keep the original sd card with the content still on it in case it doesnt work. Better to be safe than sorry right?

Last edited by uribemaster, Nov 19, 2016
  14. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    The only reason this would happen is if you didn't copy the files correctly.

15. VioletX

VioletX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2016
    IIRC this can also happen if you previously had an emunand.

16. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    Never had an emunand and everything copied correctly. I am not trying to argue or anything if that is what you think. All i am saying is for people to be careful whenupgrading sd cards. Just want to state what had happened to my friend and i.

17. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    If you had emunand and just copied the sd card files not the emunand partition, then the symptom would not be missing games and saves. It would be that the system would fail to boot due to the missing emunand. OP clearly said he is going to be installing A9LH which does not use emunand any more, so this is a non-issue.

There's really no need to over complicate what is actually a very simple process.