Hardware Switch won’t boot into stock OS and others.

Shadowler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m new to the Switch scene and have only been learning for a few days. Never temped to modify a Switch before. I’ve jailbroken iOS and rooted Android plenty in the past so I’m somewhat familiar to it.

Back in 2018 my launch Switch all of a sudden was having errors that told me to turn it off when I launched a game(once I was in a game it was fine). Over the next few days it kept getting worse where even just changing pages in settings would cause the error(don’t remember what the code was). When I shut it off sometimes it would get stuck on the Switch logo, but if I kept trying, it would boot. Eventually led to just showing the Nintendo logo and then the screen shut off, never to boot again. I managed to transfer my stuff to my siblings Switch right before it died luckily.

I took it apart and didn’t see anything wrong so I just left it for parts. Fast forward about a few days ago I saw a post that said he got his dead switch going by installing hekate and booting Linux. So I thought what the heck, I’ll try that out.

I managed to enter RCM and all that just fine. Got hekate working and checked out common problems, all seemed good with the battery etc. I got to the part where I’m booting into Ubuntu from Hekate but it just sits there on the black screen just like Horizon OS did. I let it sit there over hours and nothing, tried different SD cards at different sizes, reflashed lite and full, nothing worked. So I tried Android Lineage OS, same thing happens.

I was about to give up, but I thought I’d try Lakka yet. What do you know, it booted! It is able to do everything it was supposed to. So I can use it as an emulation machine. Trying to find anything else that worked, I stumbled upon Painless Linux and tried it out. The Linux desktop loaded! I was able to connect a bluetooth mouse and was using it. Bad thing about it though is it’s outdated and has problems like no sound, no joycons, no docking and everything, but at least it worked.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? It seems like anything that doesn’t use the dock works, but I can’t really confirm that as it could be a coincidence. Is there a way I could enable dock support in Lakka? That would help a lot.

I have a feeling it’s one of the chips inside, but I’m lost to what and I’m really not experienced with it either. I’ve searched for hours, but I can’t find someone with the same exact problem. From what I saw it’s usually the chip for charging, but that seems fine as I have no problems with it charging and I have never used a 3rd party dock or charger.

I’ve tried many other things as well, but none of it helped. I’m lost on what to try and I’ll see if you guys have any ideas.

TLDR: Switch shows the nintendo logo, then freezes with screen off on CFW and stock OS. I can access hekate and boot into Lakka and Painless Linux, but not Lineage OS and Ubuntu.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should have sent it back to Nintendo for repair before messing with homebrew or opening it. Even out of warranty, they would have fixed it.

Shadowler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have sent it back to Nintendo for repair before messing with homebrew or opening it. Even out of warranty, they would have fixed it.
I was going to, but then I saw it costed $115 to repair it. I wanted another dock and charger eventually anyways, so if you add that up plus another set of joycons it added up to be more than a official refurb Switch with all the accessories. Just didn’t find it worth it at the time.

Shadowler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understandable. At least you gave it a second life with Lakka, and it's still good for parts in a worst case scenario.
Yeah, that really surprised me it booted haha. It’s cool I can use it for emulation now. I just wanted to get either Ubuntu or Lineage OS working now as I’d like to use it as a moonlight streaming device mainly, it’d be perfect for that. I’m going to try a few more things yet

Anyone know of more bootable images I could try? I’m still wondering if it’s something to do with the hdmi out or not. I’m not sure if Ubuntu and Lineage OS relies on that to boot, but maybe they do? Just seems suspicious that the 2 things I get working are the 2 things without dock support.

Shadowler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, afaik Lakka is based on Linux, right? Why won't Ubuntu or Android boot then?
It is. That’s what I don’t get. It doesn’t make sense why it won’t boot them. That’s why I’m thinking there’s something special in Ubuntu and Android uses/does that my system doesn’t work with and it throws an error(that it doesn’t show) causing it to not boot, but who knows what.

Is there a way I could get logs? Maybe I could figure it out from there.

Last edited by Shadowler,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-