Hacking Question Switch "update" for SDXC / exfat?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually not true unless Cold Boot does happen (in which case you don't need emuNAND). While the emuNAND would have the exFAT update to support exFAT formatted cards, the stock OS would not. Since you would likely need to load an exploit from the SD card to boot into the emuNAND in the first place, then the SD card would need to be formatted in FAT32 for the Switch to read it and use the exploit. Since the emuNAND is on the SD card and you cannot switch SD cards without rebooting the Switch, you would not be able to swap the SD card to an exFAT one after booting the emuNAND. So this still ends up being an issue.

However, while we cannot downgrade, we may still be able to manually upgrade to a SDXC update through homebrew and solve the issue that way.
Didn't think of that, though with trustzonehax there is probably a way to install the sdxc update without the firmware update to sysNAND. But we'll see

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I’m on 3.0.2 and tomorrow I’m going to update to 4.1.0 via cartridge (DK:TF).

What’s the best way (if any) to get official exFAT support while staying on 4.1.0? I gather 4.1 is still current enough to get it? (and maybe people should get the official exFAT update on 4.1 before it’s too late?)

My Switch never went online. Should I quickly connect it to wifi while a 200GB microSD is inside? That would both get me the exFAT license but also the 5.0.x background download, right? Would I get nags?

Thatcher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I’m on 3.0.2 and tomorrow I’m going to update to 4.1.0 via cartridge (DK:TF).

What’s the best way (if any) to get official exFAT support while staying on 4.1.0? I gather 4.1 is still current enough to get it? (and maybe people should get the official exFAT update on 4.1 before it’s too late?)

My Switch never went online. Should I quickly connect it to wifi while a 200GB microSD is inside? That would both get me the exFAT license but also the 5.0.x background download, right? Would I get nags?

As far as I know this won't work, the whole point of needing to connect to the internet is so Nintendo can acknowledge the device is using a license for exFat...the Switch will also force an update to the latest FW as part of this.

I'm on 4.1.0 and when putting my 256GB card in the Switch also tried forcing the 5.0.2 update.

GyTe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
with mine 64GB I've formatted in windows 10 in fat32 and everything works fine... Firmware on my Switch 4.0.1

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know this won't work, the whole point of needing to connect to the internet is so Nintendo can acknowledge the device is using a license for exFat...the Switch will also force an update to the latest FW as part of this.

I'm on 4.1.0 and when putting my 256GB card in the Switch also tried forcing the 5.0.2 update.

I see, thanks...I thought I read it was a separate update and could be done independently...I wish there was some kind of DNS trick to just get the exFAT license...

with mine 64GB I've formatted in windows 10 in fat32 and everything works fine... Firmware on my Switch 4.0.1

Yes but I’d like to have exFAT from boot for more flexibility in the future...good for the lucky ones who got the license when their fw was current...

Reactions: Unknown77

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Even if you are at 4.1.0 when you insert a SDXC card for the first time, it will prompt a system update.

After the "update" it will still report 4.1.0 but you can now use the bigger card.
Not if you had airplane mode on since u updated like me. Doesn't ask for anything. It didn't even ask to format the card. First card was Fat32 & this new card I just got was ExFat. But I had did that update when I first got my switch if I remember right.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Curious, what happens if you insert the card without an internet connection (thus, no update to download)? Does it still force an update?

It presumably at least has to add system files to the card like the 3DS does.
It adds the Nintendo file to the card when u first insert it. I believe it does even when u rip the NAND as I put my card blank into my brothers switch and when I took it out the Nintendo folder was on it again. For pictures and all that stuff.

Last edited by link42586,

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to add that my brother has A 4.1.0 switch like mine and he just got this update as well. And I literally just got my sd card two days ago and it's exactly the same and I didn't need an update. So Fat32 it is for people in this situation. No biggy.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What “update”?
He got the exFAT license on 4.1?
No no no don't try to update. He went back and formatted to Fat32. He was trying Exfat which the card comes preinstalled and it asked for the update. Mine didn't as I just got the same stick as him and didn't get asked for the update. Before that we had different ones. DON'T UPDATE. Idk if it would be just for the drivers or full FW update so I wouldn't try it.

Thatcher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth mentioning that the the exFat update will only be triggered when a card of 64GB or higher is inserted, this is regardless of firmware.

Nin just make you update to the latest firmware as part of the exFat update process to ensure everyone is on the latest one.

The reason that you only get the update when the higher cards are inserted is because Nin pay a license per device for exFat use and it only makes sense to pay for the devices using them.

Reactions: DollyWhipDoll

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth mentioning that the the exFat update will only be triggered when a card of 64GB or higher is inserted, this is regardless of firmware.

Nin just make you update to the latest firmware as part of the exFat update process to ensure everyone is on the latest one.

The reason that you only get the update when the higher cards are inserted is because Nin pay a license per device for exFat use and it only makes sense to pay for the devices using them.
Yeah we both had 64GB cards before this except his was sandisk and mine was samsung so I must have got hit with it and updated before and he just never got it which I must have just fat32'd his right off the bat for whatever reason (3DS scene probably or I looked it up which it should be on idk) And when I got my switch just put the card directly in mine without formatting to Fat32 and kept it Exfat. We both have 128GB cards now sandisk. He just formatted to Fat32 and it's all good now..As long as it works doesn't matter what format it is...For now.

Last edited by link42586,

Nemean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah we both had 64GB cards before this except his was sandisk and mine was samsung so I must have got hit with it and updated before and he just never got it which I must have just fat32'd his right off the bat for whatever reason (3DS scene probably or I looked it up which it should be on idk) And when I got my switch just put the card directly in mine without formatting to Fat32 and kept it Exfat. We both have 128GB cards now sandisk. He just formatted to Fat32 and it's all good now..As long as it works doesn't matter what format it is...For now.

I have my 128GB as FAT32 and in OFW I have no issues as the switch is happy with it however when I try to use Hekate it says it has failed to mount my SD card. Just wondering if you have the same issue with yours in Hekate this happens when I try to dump NAND or load CFW it is in red writing at the top of the screen.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my 128GB as FAT32 and in OFW I have no issues as the switch is happy with it however when I try to use Hekate it says it has failed to mount my SD card. Just wondering if you have the same issue with yours in Hekate this happens when I try to dump NAND or load CFW it is in red writing at the top of the screen.
Hekate has alot of issues with SD cards from what I understand.

Check this thread out-https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-mod-raw-full-nand-backup.502604/page-5#post-7963339 as long as the red text doesn't go to try 10...it should be good and go through as I was getting red errors and it's just the first try at reading it as mine said (try 1) in red. But that means it only took 1 try to read it after the fail and then got it. But the thread i'm sending u to would probably help u more than me as i'm A and the guy who made A fork of hekate can explain things better than me. Might be A good idea to just read through that entire thing.

XpertXP1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now that SX OS is out, how is everyone getting these larger games onto the microsd card. Fat32 only allows up to 4GB, but some of the newer games are 8GB or larger. Also, my Switch is currently on 4.1.0.

Thanks

JupiterJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now that SX OS is out, how is everyone getting these larger games onto the microsd card. Fat32 only allows up to 4GB, but some of the newer games are 8GB or larger. Also, my Switch is currently on 4.1.0.

Thanks

There is a method to inject the update directly into your emmc without "installing" it. It is easy, imo, and I just did it yesterday. Search the tutorial forum.

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
Most people probably know what I am talking about, but in case not....

When you insert a micro SD card into your switch, it prompts for a system update. If you take the update, it allows your Switch to use SDXC format cards and exfat file format. As far as I know this update is "safe" in itself as long as you already have 4.1.0. PLEASE Correct me if theres any reason to believe this is incorrect.

Now - If you are less than 4.1.0 (ex: 3.0.0) there is no way to get this update unless you did it while 3.0.0 was current a long time ago.... or maybe this update didn't even exist back then, I don't know.

My question is..... will this be problematic for 3.0.0 users if/when backups can be used? Right now, backups are a single file with an XCI extension. Games can be 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB each. The limitations on fat32 are 4GB maximum per file.

Anyone know what the devs have to say about this subject? I guess no one wants to openly discuss piracy which is fair, but not being able to use the larger cards for ANYTHING, even emulators or other homebrew is kind of a bummer.
Just a heads-up for people .Doing the update disables Auto RCM mode and you will need to re-enable if you use that or not.

Edit: Why was the thread bumped? It was asked in March . It should be closed, and not necroed.

Last edited by Chipidy,

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks
I posted because you necro posted and confused me. Read the date of the Threads, if it's dead, don't post. You can ask a Question Inca new thread or look for answers haha. Only because it confuses people, plus against the rules

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks

download the latest version of XCI-Cutter , it the trim the XCI and it can split it into 4gb parts, I'm using fat32 and not had a problem with games over 4gb.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in