ROM Hack Question Switch Saves

DarkenedMatter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that we are getting homebrew and more knowledge on how the Switch ticks in a way I was wondering where I could get more information or the best place to keep up to date on taking save data from once Switch and adding it to another.

I recall reading about it a few times and think I remember reading about someone had already done it once before so there might be some knowledge that has been kept secret so far.

Would love to experience the new BotW DLC and tasty updates. I have a 4.1.0 console but of course, my BotW saves are stuck on 3.0.0. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that we are getting homebrew and more knowledge on how the Switch ticks in a way I was wondering where I could get more information or the best place to keep up to date on taking save data from once Switch and adding it to another.

I recall reading about it a few times and think I remember reading about someone had already done it once before so there might be some knowledge that has been kept secret so far.

Would love to experience the new BotW DLC and tasty updates. I have a 4.1.0 console but of course, my BotW saves are stuck on 3.0.0. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Homebrew save transfers will only transfer to another homebrew system. There won't be a way to transfer from 3.0.0 to 4.1.0 unless we get homebrew on newer firmware.

DarkenedMatter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew save transfers will only transfer to another homebrew system. There won't be a way to transfer from 3.0.0 to 4.1.0 unless we get homebrew on newer firmware.
Yeah, I agree but I also feel like due to SD cards there is a possibility that in future updates regardless they might add in some feature officially that we can try to mimic on a homebrew based console to bring saves back and forth but probably not.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I agree but I also feel like due to SD cards there is a possibility that in future updates regardless they might add in some feature officially that we can try to mimic on a homebrew based console to bring saves back and forth but probably not.
If ninty learned their lesson from the 3ds that's probably not going to happen. Though the likelihood of having a save game exploit on switch is minimal due to its much better security, so we'll see

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I wished that too, I really enjoyed hex editing saves on the Xbox 360, would be a nice thing on the switch too, but even after getting them, we would also need a way to ressign\rehash the saves after modding...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand if the idea is to prevent exploits of saves but least have SOMEWAY to recover saves. Losing the wii u saves is already a problem, least on playstation vita, while there no way to share saves, you have cloud storage on playstation plus. Or even some games with cross platform play can transfer saves. :glare:

zkitX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If ninty learned their lesson from the 3ds that's probably not going to happen. Though the likelihood of having a save game exploit on switch is minimal due to its much better security, so we'll see

With ASLR that won't be very possible. The need for multiple exploits would be needed. It would be more feasible to exploit through other entry points.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I understand if the idea is to prevent exploits of saves but least have SOMEWAY to recover saves. Losing the wii u saves is already a problem, least on playstation vita, while there no way to share saves, you have cloud storage on playstation plus. Or even some games with cross platform play can transfer saves. :glare:
The PS Vita can backup saves with CMA. Although it is a bit annoying for digital games, since you have to back the whole game up.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Well that doesn't help much, is way easier with playstation plus. O_O
Well, it certainly helps. At least you have an official way of not losing your saves. And if you have a lot of physical games, it's fast to do.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it certainly helps. At least you have an official way of not losing your saves. And if you have a lot of physical games, it's fast to do.
Yeah, that was my point, wii u didn't have any way to do it, and the switch should have fixed that. What if I lose my system or it breaks and need to replace it? Just start ALL OF THOSE GAMES OVER? Some games take long to get such progress like Xenoblade chronicles. 90 Hours to finish the game, Breath of the wild, all the items and quest I collected. It just scares me to lose all that cause I can't back up save data. I don't even care if is encrypted, just let me preserve it the game data.:blink:

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, that was my point, wii u didn't have any way to do it, and the switch should have fixed that. What if I lose my system or it breaks and need to replace it? Just start ALL OF THOSE GAMES OVER? Some games take long to get such progress like Xenoblade chronicles. 90 Hours to finish the game, Breath of the wild, all the items and quest I collected. It just scares me to lose all that cause I can't back up save data. I don't even care if is encrypted, just let me preserve it the game data.:blink:
Homebrew life for those. And for the Vita too, actually, CMA digital game backups are a pain, especially when one such as me has a broken charging port so have to do everything over WiFi. My PS3 is still my CMA backup machine, though.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew life for those. And for the Vita too, actually, CMA digital game backups are a pain, especially when one such as me has a broken charging port so have to do everything over WiFi. My PS3 is still my CMA backup machine, though.
I just thing it should be normal in this day and age to be able to properly preserve data without complications. On ps3 it is as simple as copying data to a flash drive, sure some data can't be copied (probably cause some advantage in games through sharing perhaps) but is shouldn't need such complex and long time consuming steps.

The ps vita main problem is the one of a kind memory card it uses as well as the "CONTENT MANAGER" unlike psp which doesn't need such a software, is just too good and that was 2005. This is a disgrace to making steps forward in advancements. It makes me appreciate the 3DS game cards saving data on each game more than this.:nayps3:

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I just thing it should be normal in this day and age to be able to properly preserve data without complications. On ps3 it is as simple as copying data to a flash drive, sure some data can't be copied (probably cause some advantage in games through sharing perhaps) but is shouldn't need such complex and long time consuming steps.

The ps vita main problem is the one of a kind memory card it uses as well as the "CONTENT MANAGER" unlike psp which doesn't need such a software, is just too good and that was 2005. This is a disgrace to making steps forward in advancements. It makes me appreciate the 3DS game cards saving data on each game more than this.:nayps3:
Advantage in games? I disagree. Saves should only affect the single-player progress, anyway. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to back it up in any case. If I do get a 100% complete save for whatever reason, it doesn't affect anyone but me.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just chill for a bit. 34c3 is coming up after Christmas, and new hacks tend to be released shortly after the conference. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the only reason we've not seen any real progress in the Switch scene is that the groups are planning to demo the new exploits/homebrew/hax, and explain how and why they work at the conference before releasing them immediately after. And really, it makes sense. These people spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours working for free to exploit the best new security systems console manufacturers can think up. The least they deserve is some recognition for it, and this is the only way they're going to get that since once their work is made public, most people won't care about where it came from or what went into it.

Mark my words: the Switch scene will see some huge progress by January. Maybe it'll be a kernel exploit that works on higher firmware versions, maybe it'll be actual homebrew for 3.0 that can transfer saves, maybe a method of spoofing your firmware version to get eshop access on 3.0 and play downloaded games that typically require a higher version. Maybe all of those things, and then again it could be something completely different.

Last edited by Nyteshade714,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advantage in games? I disagree. Saves should only affect the single-player progress, anyway. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to back it up in any case. If I do get a 100% complete save for whatever reason, it doesn't affect anyone but me.
Not if you can share the saves, that kinda gives someone else advantage since they didn't earn it themself, and I only speculated the reason why some saves aren't able to be backed up on some games, such as ps3 games with system data saves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended