Homebrew Discussion Switch overclocking released (improved N64 & PSX emu)

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't say an OC would cause your switch to explode. I said it is "Use at your own risk" and nothing that has been said has any bearing on that fact.

Dude, are you not getting tired of this lectures? Did you ever stop to think that maybe some people do not care if their switch burned down? It’s 300 bucks game console not Tesla.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
The SoC's stock clock is 1.9 Ghz, yet we run at 1020 mhz ;)
It's really just a question about the other components and only time will tell that in detail.

Well their cooling solution might not be great enough for stock clock speed. And then Nintendo want to be well whithin safe temps. Just a thought..

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well their cooling solution might not be great enough for stock clock speed. And then Nintendo want to be well whithin safe temps. Just a thought..
It is inadequate for full clocks on all components, but the CPU is the last thing you would damage.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, are you not getting tired of this lectures? Did you ever stop to think that maybe some people do not care if their switch burned down? It’s 300 bucks game console not Tesla.

I am responding to direct questions and comments that keep trying to twist this notion around into it being "completely safe." This is divorced from reality. I'd rather take the 10 seconds it takes to type a comment on a forum than face 4 years of un-ending Discord support for people who refused to listen.

Grind your axe elsewhere.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
DOCKED CREATES WAY MORE HEAT GOOD LORD

Do you even know what stock clock means? Im not talking about handheld or docked...

As I understand it we are running the CPU at 1020mhz regardless of if it's docked or undocked, while the GPU is getting a boost in docked mode from 307mhz to 768mhz.
And this is most likely why you get higher temps in docked mode. So what you are talking about has nothing to do with the CPU clock...

GOOD LORD

Last edited by DaniPoo,

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you even know what stock clock means? Im not talking about handheld or docked...

As I understand it we are running the CPU at 1020mhz regardless of if it's docked or undocked, while the GPU is getting a boost in docked mode from 307mhz to 768mhz.
And this is most likely why you get higher temps in docked mode. So what you are talking about has nothing to do with the CPU clock...

GOOD LORD
Yea and like I said, I don't think the package will support full CPU clock in combination with full GPU clock under full load (we won't expose GPU clocks in RA, also we don't put a heavy load on the GPU)
I mean as long as you have this shitty stock thermal gum

Last edited by m4xw,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I edited my post, if you have a good thermal paste, this can very well be possible IMO.
It has loads of heatsinks with high surface areas (so as long its not the stock gum^^)

Have you tried it and measured the heat at load? Re-applying thermal paste on the switch seems like a kinda easy thing to pull off for someone that has some experience opening handhelds.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I edited my post, if you have a good thermal paste, this can very well be possible IMO.
It has loads of heatsinks with high surface areas (so as long its not the stock gum^^)

Would you advise adding more heat pads over the ram and along the copper pipe like in this video?

M7L7NK7

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Dunno if m4xw's tweet i posted worked but this is pretty exciting

Attachments

• DtHXxWRXoAENf6B.jpeg
    DtHXxWRXoAENf6B.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 203
  • DtHXxWWXQAAL2ew.jpeg
    DtHXxWWXQAAL2ew.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by M7L7NK7,
Reactions: angelhp

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Would you advise adding more heat pads over the ram and along the copper pipe like in this video?
I took the little metal shim in between the CPU die and the heatsink completely off, and just applied thermal paste. I also put thermal pads directly contacting the ram chips underneath of it so they connect to the heat shroud. I've been playing non-stop Mupen64 and pcsx-rearmed at 1.78 GHz the past two days and it's been nothing but peachy. Temperatures don't feel any different than it normally runs.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took the little metal shim in between the CPU die and the heatsink completely off, and just applied thermal paste. I also put thermal pads directly contacting the ram chips underneath of it so they connect to the heat shroud. I've been playing non-stop Mupen64 and pcsx-rearmed at 1.78 GHz the past two days and it's been nothing but peachy. Temperatures don't feel any different than it normally runs.
hmmmm? how did you get RetroArch to compile with the OC patch? I always get an error

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, I don't know who all is testing it but are they all testing it after replacing the thermal paste and taking other such precautions or are most of the testers just using the stock hardware? I'd assume the latter but I could understand the former if they wanted to test the max potential of the hardware.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am responding to direct questions and comments that keep trying to twist this notion around into it being "completely safe." This is divorced from reality. I'd rather take the 10 seconds it takes to type a comment on a forum than face 4 years of un-ending Discord support for people who refused to listen.

Grind your axe elsewhere.
I feel so bad for you. :(

These unending questions and misinformation is not fun to have to deal with. You have my respect, if that means anything.

M7L7NK7

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I feel so bad for you. :(

These unending questions and misinformation is not fun to have to deal with. You have my respect, if that means anything.

Now that it's been stated that it carries risks it's fine, it just when the GitHub with the code was posted a few days ago there wasn't a warning, so it seemed like it was okay. I get that all homebrew is implied that it isn't 100% safe it's just good to know officially now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv