Homebrew Discussion Switch online hacked already.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this the only way to add games by swapping it out with the games in the Nintendo library? We can't just add games and make a boxart for it?

Oh you can add games including boxarts. You use LFS to load replacement ROMS/boxarts or you unpack the NES nsp and add in the ROMS there by editing the JSON file called "lclassic.titlesdb", so they show up. You can now load these new ROMs via LFS.

I can't link it for obvious reasons (piracy) but someone on the Switch Hacks discord is doing just this. This is the latest changelog for it:

Newly Added
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Dragon Warrior Dragon Warrior II
- Dragon Warrior III Dragon Warrior IV
- Final Fantasy
- Final Fantasy II
- Final Fantasy III
- Wonderland Dizzy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bug Fixes
- Fixed the corrupted Adventure of Lolo ROM

Also taken from the same Discord server:

Creating custom box art and screenshots for Nintendo Switch's NES App:-

Creating the images:-

To create the images you'll need an app that can create TGA (Targa) image files. This includes Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint.NET. You'll need to make two images, a 355x512 image for the cover art and a 400x300 image for the screen shot shown on the details page. These files should be saved as TGA file type with 32bit colors. You can name them cover.tga and screenshot.tga or whatever you want.

Converting to XTX:-

The Switch's NES app uses Nvidia X1 Tegra Texture files. This part currently requires an official Nintendo SDK program (Windows only but can run in WINE). An open source equivalent doesn't exist yet, hopefully that will change soon. The tool is NvnTexpkg.exe. If you have acquired this tool, simply run this command from Command Prompt for both cover.tga and screenshot.tga: NvnTexpkg.exe -i filename.tga -o filename.xtx --mip-filter box --minmip 5 -f rgba8

Compressing the XTX files:-

To save space the Switch's NES app uses zLIB compress textures. If you have python install (2 or 3) you may use the attached script. This is run as so: python zlib_compress.py filename.xtx. Do this for both cover.xtx and screenshot.xtx. Final Steps Now all you need to do is rename the files to the product code you're using for your game (Ex. CLV-P-NAACV.xtx.z for cover art and CLV-P-NAACV00.xtx.z for screenshot) and add the game's entry to your lclassics.titlesdb and strings.lng files

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

arthur_bleme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1) Extract the nsp of the official nes emulator with this :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract-nsp-nca-xci-update-all-in-one-tool-for-layeredfs.511156/
(choose Eshop NSP, NSP to LayeredFS)
you should have a folder named Ready_LayeredFS_Game with exefs and romfs.bin
2) Extract the RomFS.bin file in Ready_LayeredFS_Game with hacktool and name it romfs
3) in the extracted romFS folder go to titles and replace the .nes rom in one of the CLV-P folders.
(i choose CLV-P-NADPE for exemple, it's baseball and i hate this game)
rename your custom rom as the official one.
4) put exefs and romfs in a folder named as the titleID of the official NES emulator, copy it on your sd card in your LayeredFS folder
5) play !

Last edited by arthur_bleme,
Reactions: matias3ds

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Extract the nsp of the official nes emulator with this :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract-nsp-nca-xci-update-all-in-one-tool-for-layeredfs.511156/
(choose Eshop NSP, NSP to LayeredFS)
you should have a folder named Ready_LayeredFS_Game with exefs and romfs.bin
2) Extract the RomFS.bin file in Ready_LayeredFS_Game with hacktool and name it romfs
3) in the extracted romFS folder go to titles and replace the .nes rom in one of the CLV-P folders.
(i choose CLV-P-NADPE for exemple, it's baseball and i hate this game)
rename your custom rom as the official one.
4) put exefs and romfs in a folder named as the titleID, copy it on your sd card in your LayeredFS folder
5) play !

You can also add new games by editing the "lclassic.titlesdb" file and adding a new folder for the ROM. They're loaded via LFS anyway so you don't necessarily need to replace ROMS to play new ones, but it's still an alternative approach.

Reactions: andyhappypants

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you can go into more detail into doing this?

The guys n'gals from the Switch-Hacks discord cracked it first, but from what I understand:

1. Extract the NES NSP into a LFS format (follow arthur_bleme's post). Inside the [titleID]/title folder is a JSON file called "lclassic.titlesdb". This is used to draw the GUI (surprisingly).
  2. Copy one of the existing NES folders (CPV-....) and rename the last 4 bits to whatever you want.
  3. Copy whatever .nes ROM you want into your new folder - only one .nes rom per folder!!
  4. Open lclassic.titlesdb in Notepad (or Notepad++) and add in that folder you just made (you can just copy-paste the existing JSON code for 1 title and edit it to suit - i.e point to your new NES folder + NES rom).
  5. Load up the NES app with LFS and see if your new title has appeared!
Obviously if you want a custom titleart - you'll need the leaked SDK for 1 specific tool (for making XTX files) which I mentioned in my previous post.

You can find the Japanese Famicom NSP floating about, so it's entirely possible to merge the Famicom games into the US/EU NES app and have pretty much all the NES games currently on offer (or even add your own custom ones). You can also repack the NES app with your edits back into an NSP and install that, but LFS is easier if you intend on adding games frequently.

Reactions: andyhappypants

HOv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed guide. I'll give this a try. Is there an nsp out there that's already preinstalled with games that were added, with their own boxart and everything? I would really appreciate it if someone could share it or point me to the right direction where I can get them? Sorry if it seems like I'm being lazy. It's just that it's hard for me to do anything at the moment with a baby on the way and everything. Thanks.

Reactions: matias3ds

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed guide. I'll give this a try. Is there an nsp out there that's already preinstalled with games that were added, with their own boxart and everything? I would really appreciate it if someone could share it or point me to the right direction where I can get them? Sorry if it seems like I'm being lazy. It's just that it's hard for me to do anything at the moment with a baby on the way and everything. Thanks.

There's a LFS version with bonus games + boxart but can't link it (piracy). It's on the Switch Hacks discord. Might be able to PM you a invite link if you can't find it.

Reactions: HOv

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released