Switch OLED teardown V1/V2

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
What about the serial over USB connection on the modchip?
Iirc you could putty into it and press "r" to reset it - did they remove this feature?
No idea, I don't own a HWFLY myself so I can't test it, from what I have heard though going through USB does not seem to work, at least for updating, I would presume the reset command wouldn't work either, but feel free to test it should you acquire one.

Reactions: peteruk and FR0ZN

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
They are both using a variation of v1 it uses different APIs so it's not updatable even on V3 hwfly, it's also buggy because they made the storage that stores timing configurations to be read only, so it can never update timings per console and instead relies on the factory set timing.

That said all spacecraft-nx v2 allows is to use the OLED panel to display the NO SD screen, so you can make do with the status LED. Then again a legit SX Lite modchip is preferable assuming you can secure one.

What about the serial over USB connection on the modchip?
Iirc you could putty into it and press "r" to reset it - did they remove this feature?

No idea, I don't own a HWFLY myself so I can't test it, from what I have heard though going through USB does not seem to work, at least for updating, I would presume the reset command wouldn't work either, but feel free to test it should you acquire one.
I have some HWFLY laying around here and would LOVE to test this :)
@FR0ZN, any guidelines on how to do this?

@mathieulh, you're right! USB does nothing on HWFLYs. You can only use it once: when the chip is "blank" on the first write. After that the PC doesn't recognize them anymore.

Reactions: lufeig

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Seeing that the mentioned "clone" as well, I guess it should be possible to reset HWFLY modchips.
Even if you do reset the HWFLY, there is nothing to reset from, given how timings aren't being saved to begin with, it will always use the factory built in values no matter what. That's assuming the reset command even works.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Even if you do reset the HWFLY, there is nothing to reset from, given how timings aren't being saved to begin with, it will always use the factory built in values no matter what. That's assuming the reset command even works.
honestly speaking, I'm, actually, more interested in knowing whether it's possible to update a HWFLY to Spacecraft-NX 0.2.0 than to update the timings.
I know we can flash it once so I don't know the chip is write locked after the initial programming.

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just sharing in case anyone is wondering about the HWFLY chips and the OLED. I heard that they boot slowly and the connector that you solder to the capcitors on the CPU sucks and doesn't solder well.

Well...both of those were untrue for me.

I had no issues soldering the connector to the capacitors on the CPU. Fluxed and heated up the points, and solder stuck to it just fine, no issues.

As for booting, the HWFLY Lite in my OLED boots to hekate in 1 or 2 seconds. Only 1 or max 2 flashes of the blue/purple light then I get the green light, every time!!! Whereas the SX Core in my OG V1 Switch takes anywhere from 3-7 seconds to get the green light...

Anyways, I'm finally enjoying my OLED and playing games, hope you all can get to this point of bliss as well :) :D

Last edited by sean222,

nicway123

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hi everyone I try to install a sx core on my oled and I try to boot the light show light blue then red and the red light will stay there for while and The screen will show purple light anyone here know what the issue ?

Attachments

• A70D094B-A634-4CB9-921A-219C9CC82D35.jpeg
    A70D094B-A634-4CB9-921A-219C9CC82D35.jpeg
    808.8 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi everyone I try to install a sx core on my oled and I try to boot the light show light blue then red and the red light will stay there for while and The screen will show purple light anyone here know what the issue ?
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Panic_codes
Purple screen could mean a bootloader issue. Let's just hope your NAND code is not corrupted already.

Red light could mean short or bad communication to the NAND.
If it's instant red light on the chip then the issue is a short on top of the CPU.
If it's after the chip blinked some times purple/blue (your case) then it's, most likely, a bad DAT0 connection. You're either touching the wrong DAT line (or shorting two DAT lines) or an unsatisfactory connection (the DAT pin is not making good connection to your wire or adaptor).

Good luck on resolving your issue!

Last edited by mvmiranda,

heinrich_frei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello! I need help to identify the missing capacitor near emmc. Switch Oled. Would somebody be so kind to measure the capacitor from their own switch if possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20211205_193519.jpg
    IMG_20211205_193519.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 92

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Panic_codes
Red light could mean short or bad communication to the NAND.
If it's instant red light on the chip then the issue is a short on top of the CPU.
Can you clarify the difference between these two red lights? Mine boots straight to a solid red light. Does that mean there is a short on the ribbon connected to the CPU ( the flat thing with v1 v2 written on it)? Or is it the nand?

Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Can you clarify the difference between these two red lights? Mine boots straight to a solid red light. Does that mean there is a short on the ribbon connected to the CPU ( the flat thing with v1 v2 written on it)? Or is it the nand?
I just mentioned... :)

Yes! Instant red light means a short, most likely in your CPU flat cable!
in case of a short under the eMMC IC (NAND chip) the SX/HWFLY chip would work fine BUT would fail to get "access" to the NAND and would, depending on the short, RED or WHITE light.

This is not a "science" and I can be wrong. But this is the knowledge I got based on my experiences.

Good luck, bud!

Reactions: lufeig and BigOnYa

s3m80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just sharing in case anyone is wondering about the HWFLY chips and the OLED. I heard that they boot slowly and the connector that you solder to the capcitors on the CPU sucks and doesn't solder well.

Well...both of those were untrue for me.

I had no issues soldering the connector to the capacitors on the CPU. Fluxed and heated up the points, and solder stuck to it just fine, no issues.

As for booting, the HWFLY Lite in my OLED boots to hekate in 1 or 2 seconds. Only 1 or max 2 flashes of the blue/purple light then I get the green light, every time!!! Whereas the SX Core in my OG V1 Switch takes anywhere from 3-7 seconds to get the green light...

Anyways, I'm finally enjoying my OLED and playing games, hope you all can get to this point of bliss as well :) :D
yes like I said if it installed correctly it boots with no errors everytime also fasther then sxcore

Reactions: sean222

gregor4711

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi all,
I'm looking for an errorcode list and shema.

do the HWFLY chip show errorcode via led (blinking or via error report file to the micro sd card)?

Long storry short, when HWFLY is not booting is there any chance to see errorcodes from the booting process, which may indicate the issue?

Last edited by gregor4711,

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just mentioned... :)

Yes! Instant red light means a short, most likely in your CPU flat cable!
in case of a short under the eMMC IC (NAND chip) the SX/HWFLY chip would work fine BUT would fail to get "access" to the NAND and would, depending on the short, RED or WHITE light.

This is not a "science" and I can be wrong. But this is the knowledge I got based on my experiences.

Good luck, bud!
My switch still boots up normally as if nothing was installed though. Wouldn’t a short on the cpu cable prevent that?

gregor4711

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My Switch is blinking 15 times (blue and a litle bit red at same time(wondering)) than 1 sec full red and switch off (screen black)
any idea ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16