Switch OLED teardown V1/V2

lufeig

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just in case anyone wants to see the status led of the modchip: cut and strip a small piece of an optical cable and redirect the light from the led.

Attachments

• 67F58BE1-F036-4F91-98FE-BD91FC58EAF6.gif
    67F58BE1-F036-4F91-98FE-BD91FC58EAF6.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 117
  • E132B2D2-A662-4BAF-AB19-2195426FD0AF.jpeg
    E132B2D2-A662-4BAF-AB19-2195426FD0AF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 136

HellsBoyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So, what about that bespoken DAT0 issue with HWFLY Core chips and the OLED. Is is true? I mean, do we need to disconnect DAT0 every time (or eventually) when booting the console?
Can anyone confirm or deny it? Is is an "urban legend"? LOL

I'm asking because my Lite stash is done and I've some Core laying around here and I still have 2 OLEDs to do. :)

Also, I've seen someone posting how we should install Core.
Does anyone have this pic at hand?

Thanks!
At my place, lots of seller/modder use core/clone core for their modding oled service. It ran without any issue.

I say the person told us about dat0 connect issue with clone core, is bad luck. Maybe his clone was on bad batch production. Maybe his was v1 v2, not v3, even bad v3, the odd like 1%, I don't know.

Reactions: mvmiranda

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
At my place, lots of seller/modder use core/clone core for their modding oled service. It ran without any issue.

I say the person told us about dat0 connect issue with clone core, is bad luck. Maybe his clone was on bad batch production. Maybe his was v1 v2, not v3, even bad v3, the odd like 1%, I don't know.
How does the core mod chip fit in the OLED, is there room to close the metal back panel?

s3m80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

yes like I told earlier I also use hwfly and as long as I exprienced it boots faster and also never failed

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I was considering cutting the Core "excess". Like so:
View attachment 287134

What do you guys think?
Of course the chip would be ruined, but at least I think it'd fit better.
Cores are almost same size if not smaller footprint. Im sure you can fit either in there nice and snuggly. No need to cut the chip honestly. In fact cut the alumi heat plate to acommadate the Core.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Cores are almost same size if not smaller footprint. Im sure you can fit either in there nice and snuggly. No need to cut the chip honestly. In fact cut the alumi heat plate to acommadate the Core.
Right!
At least, if your OLED dies, god forbid :) or if, for whatever reason you need to removed the chip to use in a V1 or V2, you'd still have a working one.

Someone posted this picture here in this thread some pages ago (I don't remember).
SX Core in OLED Switch_Position.jpg

I'll try fitting the Cores like so.

mattyv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right!
At least, if your OLED dies, god forbid :) or if, for whatever reason you need to removed the chip to use in a V1 or V2, you'd still have a working one.

Someone posted this picture here in this thread some pages ago (I don't remember).
View attachment 287136

I'll try fitting the Cores like so.
I have an SX core laying around and was thinking it would be better to use that and be able to flash/upgrade Spacecraft. If you do try this, let us know your results. I am interested

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I finally did it guys...couldn't have done it with the help of @sthetix on Twitter. His diagrams and videos were great. I don't have the tools to properly reflow the eMMC so I bought the DAT0 adapter off PCBWay. Originally got the SX Core and realized it was too big, possible, but was too much of a headache...so I threw that SX Core in my original V1 Switch just for fun. Picked up a HWFLY Lite for this. Fits beautfully. Got the red light on boot many times, had to completely disassemble and check all points with a mulitimeter and reflow/rewire a few points. Definitely the most difficult, time consuming, and expensive mod I've ever done, but it was worth it...fun, educational, and hella stressful :D

Edit: If anyone in Canada needs the DAT0 adapter (only shipping within Canada, pay me via Paypal) then PM me. ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20211126_203158430.jpg
    PXL_20211126_203158430.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20211126_212517421.jpg
    PXL_20211126_212517421.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20211127_013447864.jpg
    PXL_20211127_013447864.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 54

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I finally did it guys...couldn't have done it with the help of @sthetix on Twitter. His diagrams and videos were great. I don't have the tools to properly reflow the eMMC so I bought the DAT0 adapter off PCBWay. Originally got the SX Core and realized it was too big, possible, but was too much of a headache...so I threw that SX Core in my original V1 Switch just for fun. Picked up a HWFLY Lite for this. Fits beautfully. Got the red light on boot many times, had to completely disassemble and check all points with a mulitimeter and reflow/rewire a few points. Definitely the most difficult, time consuming, and expensive mod I've ever done, but it was worth it...fun, educational, and hella stressful :D

Edit: If anyone in Canada needs the DAT0 adapter (only shipping within Canada, pay me via Paypal) then PM me. ;)
wow nice

Did you use a microscope?
Do you have much expereience with soldering/micro soldering before?
How hard was it to do the micro soldering?

I have soldering a few things here and there, no real experience with micro solder though.

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow nice

Did you use a microscope?
Do you have much expereience with soldering/micro soldering before?
How hard was it to do the micro soldering?

I have soldering a few things here and there, no real experience with micro solder though.

No microscope. Not much soldering experience, last time I solder this much was a PS2 modchip, lol...feels like 20 years ago. Huge wires and giant solder points.

I have good eyes and a steady hand. I bought a SMT soldering learning kit to learn microsoldeing. Was about $25, sooo worth it.

I just used my eyes to quicky tap each solder point after tinning and fluxing both ends to be soldered. I inspected with a small magnifying glass with LED. For points A and D cpu connector cable I used a head visor, pic attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20211127_033141014.jpg
    PXL_20211127_033141014.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20211127_033149922.jpg
    PXL_20211127_033149922.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Where did you get it from? And without reballing it, how is the alignment wire attaching to the point under the Emmc? Just direct pressure?

Hi Grubgrub

I have some spare parts DAT0 left:). Please PM me if any interest.

fair price per pice + registeres international Mail (= 5,50 Euro)

1-4 = 15 Euro per piece
5-10 = 12 Euro per piece
10 - = 10 Euro per piece

Gregor is selling some Dat0 eMMC adaptors (I bought mine from him)
Also noticed them selling on Aliexpress as well now

lufeig

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Gregor is selling some Dat0 eMMC adaptors (I bought mine from him)
Also noticed them selling on Aliexpress as well now
I’ve been searching for days on AliExpress and could never find them.

Would you mind posting the url? Or maybe the search keywords?

Thanks!!
———————
Edit: I found it! They even have a newer version which is allegedly better!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMnvO2S

Last edited by lufeig,
Reactions: hippy dave and jnl1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...