• Replies 761
  • Likes 32

renA21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your experience with it so far? Have you reached fast stable timings on your RAM?
I managed to make my Micron RAM run comfortably at 2400MHz with some adjustments. TOTK manages to hit 60fps most of the time. This is all from my mariko switch though, I have yet to tweak the Hynix RAM on my oled.

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'm obviously not knowledgeable enough but look, me pulling some micron documentation I googled least shows I've serious level of interest and looking to get this issue I have sorted 😆Now tell me how would I know if I should overvolt and if I should leave the timings on auto or not and I'm gonna run.Thanks!
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the advice I've decided to place it at 2064 with no overvolt and default timings.Now what I really think would help many of us is a way of finding optimal timings without having to go through trial and error and possibly corrupt the nands.
yeah there's no such way. you have to go thorough trial and error to find right timings for your ram.

but if you don't want to , just set max clock to 2131 and just call it a day. 2131 will still give you much improved perf over 1600

AlicatFit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I managed to make my Micron RAM run comfortably at 2400MHz with some adjustments. TOTK manages to hit 60fps most of the time. This is all from my mariko switch though, I have yet to tweak the Hynix RAM on my oled.
Hi,just made another adjustment so what I did was I left it at 2131 @meha and used the config you posted last night of your adjustments for your oled micron (mine is oled micron too).I runs fine so far but only got to test it for a few minutes. @meha @renA21 Before I had it at 1998 with default timings so question is how could I test it to see if the costum timings work faster than default ones?I used saints row 3,the game has memory as bottleneck but it's a mess of a game and the frame drops can drop from 60 to 43-44 often and the improvements feel very much the same as 1998 at default timings.Any other ways I could test and see if the costum timings work faster than the default 1998 without having to go back to the default 1998 config?

Had a look at borderlands the pre sequel just there.In the hub/town with 60fps patch I was getting 48fps at 1600, when I bumped to 2131 it resulted in 59-60.

Last edited by AlicatFit,

TeleTubby666

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recently updated to 1.6.2 (coming from 1.6.0) which is the first version ever I have issues with.

As soon as I use a loader.kip (either edited or the default one from the downloads page) AMS does not boot any more. If the loader.kip is removed, AMS boots as usual with OC-Suite complaining about the missing .kip file:

[2023-06-28 10:46:38.006] === sys-clk-OC 1.6.2 ===
[2023-06-28 10:46:47.663] [!] Cannot locate loader.kip in /, /atmosphere/, /atmosphere/kips/ and /bootloader/
[2023-06-28 10:46:47.674] Exit

Unfortunately, there is no log created when trying to boot with the .kip file in place.

I am using an Aula console on firmware 16.02 using AMS 1.5.3 and hekate 6.0.5.

Any idea how to debug that problem?

Last edited by TeleTubby666,

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I recently updated to 1.6.2 (coming from 1.6.0) which is the first version ever I have issues with.

As soon as I use a loader.kip (either edited or the default one from the downloads page) AMS does not boot any more. If the loader.kip is removed, AMS boots as usual with OC-Suite complaining about the missing .kip file:

Unfortunately, there is no log created when trying to boot with the .kip file in place.

I am using an Aula console on firmware 16.02 using AMS 1.5.3 and hekate 6.0.5.

Any idea how to debug that problem?
Update your atmosphere to 1.5.4

Reactions: TeleTubby666

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing that makes me wonder is why maximum RAM clocks are lower on erista? Is it the SoC manufacturing process (bigger)? Less fine tunable plls/timings? If the RAM spec allows for clocks above 2000 MHz we should be able to reach that on any Switch, no?

v1.6.3

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
One thing that makes me wonder is why maximum RAM clocks are lower on erista? Is it the SoC manufacturing process (bigger)? Less fine tunable plls/timings? If the RAM spec allows for clocks above 2000 MHz we should be able to reach that on any Switch, no?
there are multiple reasons.
and erista rams are 3733 specs ones, so you wouldn't do much higher than 2133Mhz anyways

Switch OC Suite 1.6.3 version is out

• timing adjustment for erista was fixed
  • new value for preset tRFC was added as requested (tRFC 70)
  • changed cvb patch to consider lowering of cpu max voltage on erista

Last edited by meha,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
there are multiple reasons.
and erista rams are 3733 specs ones, so you wouldn't do much higher than 2133Mhz anyways
Can you list these reasons? You can go technical. I don't mind.
Having a "safe" RAM clock around 2 GHz would already be a huge improvement over what we have now. Not gonna lie.

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Can you list these reasons? You can go technical. I don't mind.
Having a "safe" RAM clock around 2 GHz would already be a huge improvement over what we have now. Not gonna lie.
what you mean? you can already do 2131 on erista
anyways if you want higher than 2131, compile yourself. not gonna lift limit for my public releases
same for mariko 2400

Last edited by meha,

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Everything above 1862 is not considered "safe". If the specs allow it i wonder why.
ah i didn't write safe unsafe. Kazu did. and what distinguishes safe is if almost all consoles can do it or not.
So not every console are capable of clocks higher than 1862, so reason why clocks higher than 1862 are unsafe

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by ghjfdtg,

Zap Rowsdower

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For what little it's worth I have the same DRAM ID and a few versions ago I tried to push it to 1996 with no voltage changes. It stress tested just fine for hours on a very hot day, but then when I applied it to TotK the game did eventually crash for the first time, where I'd previously put hundred hours into the game @ 1862 (1224CPU/844GPU)
Maybe an overvolt would fix that, but that crash shook my confidence :rofl:

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
hekate says for my erista Switch it has Samsung K4F6E304HB-MGCH 4GB. If it depends on the RAM how high it goes is there a list of known RAM chips that can go higher without issues?

edit:
Seems to be this one: https://download.datasheets.com/pdfs/2017/8/13/7/9/30/2/sam_/manual/pgurl_k4f6e304hb-mgchia3107.pdf
According to this datasheet the highest it will go is 2666.
you have 3200Mbps spec chip, so even 1862 might not work for you. 2666? it's a joke for that chip.
and you obviously misunderstood the document. 2666 is not the chip's max, but it's just explaining the labeling letters of the ram chips.
and it's for ddr chips. has nothing to do with lpddr

For what little it's worth I have the same DRAM ID and a few versions ago I tried to push it to 1996 with no voltage changes. It stress tested just fine for hours on a very hot day, but then when I applied it to TotK the game did eventually crash for the first time, where I'd previously put hundred hours into the game @ 1862 (1224CPU/844GPU)
Maybe an overvolt would fix that, but that crash shook my confidence :rofl:
mgch is 3600 specs chip, so 1862 is gonna barely work for this chip

btw, if you have problems with AUTO_ADJ on erista, use NO_ADJ_ALL instead (same as before timing adjustment came to erista)
erista timing adjustment is still meh, and it's better to use NO_ADJ_ALL on erista.
i don't actively develop for erista because i only use mariko, but hopefully it gets better in future

Last edited by meha,

Zap Rowsdower

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

btw, if you have problems with AUTO_ADJ on erista, use NO_ADJ_ALL instead (same as before timing adjustment came to erista)
erista timing adjustment is still meh, and it's better to use NO_ADJ_ALL on erista.
i don't actively develop for erista because i only use mariko, but hopefully it gets better in future
Yea when I tried that I'd made no timing adjustments. I know others have pushed it beyond the ' erista official maximum', probably without an overvolt even, but what I gather now is I should probably just consider myself lucky that 1862 has been perfectly stable for my RAM and 'cash in my chips' where any gain isn't worth the risk or stress on the chip
Edit: Gonna try 1932.8 for a while, no ov

Last edited by Zap Rowsdower,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
you have 3200Mbps spec chip, so even 1862 might not work for you. 2666? it's a joke for that chip.
and you obviously misunderstood the document. 2666 is not the chip's max, but it's just explaining the labeling letters of the ram chips.
and it's for ddr chips. has nothing to do with lpddr
No, no, i understand what it says. The number is the actual real clock if we consider it's sampling on both clock edges so 1333 MHz becomes 2666 because that's how DDR (double data rate) works. If it's rated for this clock speed it should reach that without issues. Whenever it has good timings to take advantages at this speed is another story.

Doesn't that contradict what you just said ("3200Mbps spec chip")? Because i have the MGCH one too.
Been playing TotK for 200 hours with 1862 MHz without issues. The reason i would want to go higher is because there are still frame drops in certain situations a higher GPU clock does not solve. CPU is pretty much always below 80% so that can't be it.

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
No, no, i understand what it says. The number is the actual real clock if we consider it's sampling on both clock edges so 1333 MHz becomes 2666 because that's how DDR (double data rate) works. If it's rated for this clock speed it should reach that without issues. Whenever it has good timings to take advantages at this speed is another story.

Doesn't that contradict what you just said ("3200Mbps spec chip")? Because i have the MGCH one too.
Been playing TotK for 200 hours with 1862 MHz without issues. The reason i would want to go higher is because there are still frame drops in certain situations a higher GPU clock does not solve. CPU is pretty much always below 80% so that can't be it.
contradicts what? only 1600Mhz is guaranteed to work for that chip. (3200Mbps(or MT/s actually) = 1600Mhz) 1862 might work because hardware are manufactured with margin and some tolerance. limits and capabilities differ for each individual chip.

and why don't you just go and try raising the clock for seeing if your chip can go higher instead of asking the question. again, limits and capabilities differ for each individual chip.

and DDR4-2666 on the pdf file has no relevance here. like i said it's for describing specs of the ram chip. and it's not even ddr4. we are lpddr4. and jedec official max for ddr4 is 1600Mhz. anyways point is it has nothing to do here and 1333 is not the max

Last edited by meha,

TeleTubby666

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I have been testing mem stability on 2400MHz for several hours now in MemTesterNX and there were no issues so far.

From what I’ve heard there are some specific games (e.g. Bowser’s Fury) that are more sensitive for mem clock and timing issues and therefore recommended for stability testings.

What are your experiences and recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hi,

I have been testing mem stability on 2400MHz for several hours now in MemTesterNX and there were no issues so far.

From what I’ve heard there are some specific games (e.g. Bowser’s Fury) that are more sensitive for mem clock and timing issues and therefore recommended for stability testings.

What are your experiences and recommendations?

Thank you in advance!
yeah MemTester doesn't properly stress CPU and GPU, so not good for testing stability.

ToTK should be good game for testing stability

Reactions: TeleTubby666

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright