Switch not getting past Atmosphere logo after changing speakers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ryan90
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 4,521
  • Replies Replies 24

ryan90

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
9
Trophies
1
XP
626
Country
I followed a guide to change the speakers as they kept buzzing and have installed the new ones. The switch will not load past the atmosphere logo now sadly. Holding down R also does nothing. I was able to boot into hekate and tried to make a new EMMC on another SD card but even that seems to be stuck as the atmosphere boot logo. I'm very confused any help appreciated.
 
I followed a guide to change the speakers as they kept buzzing and have installed the new ones. The switch will not load past the atmosphere logo now sadly. Holding down R also does nothing. I was able to boot into hekate and tried to make a new EMMC on another SD card but even that seems to be stuck as the atmosphere boot logo. I'm very confused any help appreciated.
You sure yiu didn’t upgrade anything? This feels like you upgraded something. New speakers shouldn’t be messing you up like that. Open it back up and make sure everything is seated well and you didn’t drop a screw in there somewhere. If you’re superstitious you could put your old speakers back in temporarily while everything is open again. It will help you move forward w/ your troubleshooting if you’ve eliminated that concern.
 
I didn't upgrade anything, just changed the speakers. I noticed one of the new speakers has a slight bit of damage on the cable so tried disconnecting that one but it changed nothing, i'll try disconnecting both and see what happens. Would it be fundamental to reconnect the old ones also?

I did notice that the fan hasn't turned on also but I'm not sure if the fan does normally turn on before the atmosphere logo if anyone could confirm?

I haven't touched anything else on the board though so I'm hoping it's not damaged.
Post automatically merged:

Ok I removed both speakers and still having the same issue
 
Last edited by ryan90,
I didn't upgrade anything, just changed the speakers. I noticed one of the new speakers has a slight bit of damage on the cable so tried disconnecting that one but it changed nothing, i'll try disconnecting both and see what happens. Would it be fundamental to reconnect the old ones also?

I did notice that the fan hasn't turned on also but I'm not sure if the fan does normally turn on before the atmosphere logo if anyone could confirm?

I haven't touched anything else on the board though so I'm hoping it's not damaged.
Post automatically merged:

Ok I removed both speakers and still having the same issue
Plug in your old ones just to prove it’s not some kinda voodoo. Give everything another look to make sure that you didn’t bump your eMMC for instance. It’s typically adhered with double sided tape but who knows.

E: You also might want to try going into maintenance mode one time. Just do steps 1 and 2…no need to do 3. Some times it works magic and fixes things.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-update-nintendo-switch-in-maintenance-mode
 
Plug in your old ones just to prove it’s not some kinda voodoo. Give everything another look to make sure that you didn’t bump your eMMC for instance. It’s typically adhered with double sided tape but who knows.

E: You also might want to try going into maintenance mode one time. Just do steps 1 and 2…no need to do 3. Some times it works magic and fixes things.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-update-nintendo-switch-in-maintenance-mode
When I try to enter maintenance mode it just stays on a black screen. but ive noticed it does show up in tegra rcm as normal. I can boot anything from tegra just not atmosphere or even official firmware. How do I check my EMMC
 
Last edited by ryan90,
When I try to enter maintenance mode it just stays on a black screen. but ive noticed it does show up in tegra rcm as normal. I can boot anything from tegra just not atmosphere or even official firmware. How do I check my EMMC

For right now, see if you can see it in Hekate. Click on the eMMC tab and see if you can pull up info.
 
Yes, it loads a lot of info. I ran an eMMC benchmark too and it shows that its all working fine. I noticed the fan didn't spin up at all again but the system says its running at 26'c so maybe thats why .
 
  • Like
Reactions: impeeza
Yes, it loads a lot of info. I ran an eMMC benchmark too and it shows that its all working fine. I noticed the fan didn't spin up at all again but the system says its running at 26'c so maybe thats why .
I actually wasn’t expecting that to work. Can you backup your eMMC (both BOOT0/1 and Rawnand.bin)?

Yeah…fan won’t turn on until it reaches the first heat level.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: whisky9 and impeeza
how do I check what It lets me backup, It seems like it backs up everything takes some time though I've just tried
Post automatically merged:

I wish there was a way I could restore the firmware of reinstall the firmware and see if that works. But I can't enter the maintenance mode and can't get into daybreak since it's an NRO. Is there maybe a way to try using some kind of bootloader?
 
Last edited by ryan90,
how do I check what It lets me backup, It seems like it backs up everything takes some time though I've just tried
Post automatically merged:

I wish there was a way I could restore the firmware of reinstall the firmware and see if that works. But I can't enter the maintenance mode and can't get into daybreak since it's an NRO. Is there maybe a way to try using some kind of bootloader?
Hekate is that bootloader but it needs a good copy of a previous backup. If you happen to have one laying around you can move it to the restore directory inside the /backup directory that your recent process created. Any chance you have one handy?
 
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza
Hekate is that bootloader but it needs a good copy of a previous backup. If you happen to have one laying around you can move it to the restore directory inside the /backup directory that your recent process created. Any chance you have one handy?
I didn't have a backup but ended up following a guide using EMMCHACCGEN which allowed me to rewrite the stock firmware using tegra explorer and a system restore script. Sadly this has made no difference. So far stock firmware, EMUMMC and custom firmware all boot to a black screen and the system power button has to be held in to shut down. If I boot using atmosphere it brings up the atmosphere logo and then just hangs there with nothing happening. the bootloader apps are fine it just can't get into the OS at all. I feel like there is some check that is being run that is crashing everything. The switch is out of warranty so I'm no even sure where to take it.
 
I didn't have a backup but ended up following a guide using EMMCHACCGEN which allowed me to rewrite the stock firmware using tegra explorer and a system restore script. Sadly this has made no difference. So far stock firmware, EMUMMC and custom firmware all boot to a black screen and the system power button has to be held in to shut down. If I boot using atmosphere it brings up the atmosphere logo and then just hangs there with nothing happening. the bootloader apps are fine it just can't get into the OS at all. I feel like there is some check that is being run that is crashing everything. The switch is out of warranty so I'm no even sure where to take it.
Have you remade the SD card, all of the atmosphere files ECT?
 
When I try to enter maintenance mode it just stays on a black screen. but ive noticed it does show up in tegra rcm as normal. I can boot anything from tegra just not atmosphere or even official firmware. How do I check my EMMC
If OFW doesn't start something is wrong beyond the sdcard/atmosphere/emunand. Are you 100% sure you've been working with the emunand and not the onboard emmc (sysnand)? If the sysnand is not working, any attempts to create an emunand will fail as the emunand is built from the sysnand. You will need to find out what is wrong with your sysnand and get OFW working again before an emunand can be created. I suppose someone could send you a working emunand backup as a test but that presents its own problems.

Given that all your issues began after disassembly for the speaker replacement I would expect the problem to be a hardware problem. EMMC not fully connected or some other component was damaged/disconnected/misaligned while it was apart. Diagnosing that is going to be difficult though since you've made a number of software changes since then. Are you using a modchip or is this an unpatched Switch?
 
If OFW doesn't start something is wrong beyond the sdcard/atmosphere/emunand. Are you 100% sure you've been working with the emunand and not the onboard emmc (sysnand)? If the sysnand is not working, any attempts to create an emunand will fail as the emunand is built from the sysnand. You will need to find out what is wrong with your sysnand and get OFW working again before an emunand can be created. I suppose someone could send you a working emunand backup as a test but that presents its own problems.

Given that all your issues began after disassembly for the speaker replacement I would expect the problem to be a hardware problem. EMMC not fully connected or some other component was damaged/disconnected/misaligned while it was apart. Diagnosing that is going to be difficult though since you've made a number of software changes since then. Are you using a modchip or is this an unpatched Switch?
it's an unpatched switch I'm using, Is there an app you can use to test for not working hardware components. Everything seems to be working fine it just wont boot. I'm starting to think i'll need to buy a new switch
 
anyone know where know where I can find an emummc to test?
To clarify a couple things. The storage hardware built into the Switch is an eMMC chip. Often referred to as the sysnand or just emmc. Then there is the emunand or emuemmc that is created from a copy of the hardware chip and stored on the SD card. The Switch OFW always and exclusively uses the hardware eMMC chip.

Since your system cannot boot OFW nor can you get into maintenance mode, you likely have a problem there that must be resolved. You can try to restore from a backup or possibly swap the hardware and rebuild. I believe the eMMC chip is on a removable board for V1. These can be found relatively easily.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted