Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Niyoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004689811101.html

This is the one. I have no knowledge of this particular seller, but I paid $120 for these on 2 different occasions. This is nice, if legit. (make sure you specifically click on OLED in the "color" choices)
Thanks! I'll make a separate thread because I noticed now the V5 is available, maybe someone has experience on it!

Sorry but since I'm new in this kind of tech I might not catch the point right away, so thank you for being patient

Apache81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello forum !! :)
Today I am here to ask you a question.
I have a Switch OLED and a first edition Switch in my possession. After all this time I decided to hack my first edition Switch to be able to use cheats on some of my games (I'm tired of grinding and in all honesty I am too old for it). So, mostly infinite money or max consumables/materials.
All my games and DLC are 100% legit and bought from the eShop or in cartridge form.

I followed the tutorials on https://switch.homebrew.guide/hacking/fuseegelee/sdsetup and now I have Atmosphere working on my first edition Switch !! :)
I have the DNS properly setup so that my Switch cannot connect to Nintendo's servers when I run Atmosphere on it.

Aaaaand... at this point I think you can guess my question.
My main Switch is, of course, the OLED one, therefore, I cannot run the games I bought from the eShop, nor access all the legit DLC I purchased on my first edition Switch without being connected to the internet.
In order to use cheats on my games, I need to run Atmosphere on the Switch and I don't feel comfortable in NOT using the DNS in this case.
My first edition Switch is not banned and when I reset the console on the stock firmware, I remove the custom DNS, connect to the eShop, download games, DLC and updates and all works properly. Then I reapply the custom DNS and enter in Atmosphere.

The question is: can I run my legit digital games or games with legit DLC on my first edition Switch whilst it runs Atmosphere WITHOUT the need to be connected to Nintendo's servers?

I hope I have been clear enough in what I am asking :) but if you have questions, please, don't hesitate to ask me.
Thank you very very much for your help :)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another thing
I cannot understand if I can go back flashing original fw even if the fw version is not the same as the original one
In other words: originally, I had 13 fw version. I did the back up. I made the hack, the I updated to fw version 14. Now, I can flash back the original fw or not?
If not, I can flash a new fw version, remade the back up and then flash back the back up just done?
I do not want to brick my console...I want to be 100% sure
Thank you
Regards
Assuming you installed 14.1.2 on sysnand, you probably have 16 burnt fuses. If the nand backup you have was done with firmware 13.1.0 or below, the Switch will probably not boot normally if you restore the old backup. This is an anti-downgrade feature. But it's no biggie, you can still boot through Hekate, which ignore burnt fuses. That would be a temporary situation until you get back to 14.1.2, anyway. The goal is to start on a clean slate, and try again to hack properly your console. So in other words, yes, you can restore the firmware 13 you have, see if everything works (besides the boot process through Hekate), and then try again to hack following a guide.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you installed 14.1.2 on sysnand, you probably have 16 burnt fuses. If the nand backup you have was done with firmware 13.1.0 or below, the Switch will probably not boot normally if you restore the old backup. This is an anti-downgrade feature. But it's no biggie, you can still boot through Hekate, which ignore burnt fuses. That would be a temporary situation until you get back to 14.1.2, anyway. The goal is to start on a clean slate, and try again to hack properly your console. So in other words, yes, you can restore the firmware 13 you have, see if everything works (besides the boot process through Hekate), and then try again to hack following a guide.

Really depends if he burnt his fuse or not, you can be on 14.1.2 on lower fuse if he preserve them

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really depends if he burnt his fuse or not, you can be on 14.1.2 on lower fuse if he preserve them
Sure! Always booting through Hekate, the fuses are in no danger to be burned. Using an emunand is also safe for fuses. I'm on firmware 2.3 sysnand, and 14.1.2 emunand.

WiiU_Funkionz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo I've acquired myself a very good condition unpatched V1 that I will be modding this weekend. It's a clean switch. I haven't even linked my Nintendo profile yet on it.

My question is this. Starting with a blank template, what is my best process for setting this up when doing the mod? Should I setup my Nintendo acct. before doing anything, and then do the mod, OR, should I start the process, setup my Emunand and Sysnand, and then link my Nintendo account on my Sysnand side?

Any advice is appreciated as I'd like to make this process smooth as butter...

AlphaBravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been a while since i used my switch. I did some reading and plan to boot into atmosphere using my SX Pro dongle. Is it better to boot into hekate or atmosphere as default as you cant have two boot.dat files in root?

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo I've acquired myself a very good condition unpatched V1 that I will be modding this weekend. It's a clean switch. I haven't even linked my Nintendo profile yet on it.

My question is this. Starting with a blank template, what is my best process for setting this up when doing the mod? Should I setup my Nintendo acct. before doing anything, and then do the mod, OR, should I start the process, setup my Emunand and Sysnand, and then link my Nintendo account on my Sysnand side?

Any advice is appreciated as I'd like to make this process smooth as butter...
link nintendo account.
go airplane mode.
proceed with hacking it, back up sysnand for safe keeping, inject hekate, create emunand, apply exophere or incognito to emunand. after thats done you can take airplane mode off.

starting with a linked profile on emunand will save you the trouble of having to spoof one just to play certain games later on. and yes its safe because you would be exosphere/incognito'ing (blocking nintendo servers) your emunand the moment its created.

AlphaBravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aside from hekate, atmosphere, sigpatches and tinfoil, is there a recent thread on essential switch apps and homebrew stuff? This page is two years old. TIA.

PineappleCrab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noobie here, after looking into Switch hacking stuff for a few days I came up with some questions (appreciate the "no dumb questions" assertion in the OP:D)

I've got a v1 u patched Switch to work with, and I mostly just want to emulate pre-Gamecube era stuff and run the occasional dumped Switch rom. I have another Switch for legit stuff, so not at all worried about getting this one banned. The rentry guide looks easy enough to follow, but i was looking for clarity on a couple of things before diving in.

- after following the guide and getting set up with Hekate and Atmosphere, will i need to enter RCM by bridging the pins every time i want to turn the switch on? This is what it seems like, but i just want to be sure. If so, is there any way around this? I've seen some posts about doing it internally via Soldering, but I'm not totally sure what this actually accomplishes - does it just make it so you don't have to use a jig? Would i still need some kind of payload injector?

- I'm fairly experienced with soldering, and a modchip (like HWFLY) looks comfortably within my skill level. I can't really find what they DO though, or how they work, or what part of the process they fit into. Do they just remove the need for a payload injector? Are they their own CFW?

Big thanks in advance for reading/answering!

BrothaJayWilson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noobie here, after looking into Switch hacking stuff for a few days I came up with some questions (appreciate the "no dumb questions" assertion in the OP:D)

I've got a v1 u patched Switch to work with, and I mostly just want to emulate pre-Gamecube era stuff and run the occasional dumped Switch rom. I have another Switch for legit stuff, so not at all worried about getting this one banned. The rentry guide looks easy enough to follow, but i was looking for clarity on a couple of things before diving in.

- after following the guide and getting set up with Hekate and Atmosphere, will i need to enter RCM by bridging the pins every time i want to turn the switch on? This is what it seems like, but i just want to be sure. If so, is there any way around this? I've seen some posts about doing it internally via Soldering, but I'm not totally sure what this actually accomplishes - does it just make it so you don't have to use a jig? Would i still need some kind of payload injector?

- I'm fairly experienced with soldering, and a modchip (like HWFLY) looks comfortably within my skill level. I can't really find what they DO though, or how they work, or what part of the process they fit into. Do they just remove the need for a payload injector? Are they their own CFW?

you only need the jig to enter rcm mode IF your Switch is OFF (i.e. not in standby or rcm) once your in and RCM is enabled you won't need the jig, unless your switch battery dies while in rcm mode

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi.
I was thinking of starting to use auto-rcm soon, and I just wanted to make sure about some things around it.

-Is it safe and reversable if I want to revert it to normal?
-If I update the system side normally, I heard it removes auto-rcm. I keep my modded side offline, so is there a way to update it that doesn't turn it off ? (without risking anything, like with using modded components)

Also since I've been just using the emummc, I'm just wondering if it's fine that the system version becomes higher than the emummc version?

RayG90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Edizon SE. I did a value search and found what I am looking for. But changing the value/freezing it doesn't work. It just goes on like normal. And when I switch back to Edizon, I see that it switched back, too.
Is there a way of taking this memory address and making a cheat from it? How does that work? Am I just missing something basic?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from hekate, atmosphere, sigpatches and tinfoil, is there a recent thread on essential switch apps and homebrew stuff? This page is two years old. TIA.
Nothing is technically essential in the Switch scene aside from CFW so any thread like the one you linked contains the subjective opinions of what one user thinks other users may use but that is not always the case. I just recommend looking up whatever homebrew apps you may think you need and download them. There is usually a homebrew app for everything.
Hi.
I was thinking of starting to use auto-rcm soon, and I just wanted to make sure about some things around it.

-If I update the system side normally, I heard it removes auto-rcm. I keep my modded side offline, so is there a way to update it that doesn't turn it off ? (without risking anything, like with using modded components)

Also since I've been just using the emummc, I'm just wondering if it's fine that the system version becomes higher than the emummc version?
  • Not sure what you mean by safe but it is definitely reversible
  • You can update using the homebrew application Daybreak which comes bundled with Atmosphere
  • Its not really an issue

The exploit is not persistent so if you ever turn off the console and want to load CFW, you will need to re-enter RCM. On one hand, you can bridge the pins every time or you could enable AutoRCM which, as the name implies, boots the console AUTOmatically into RCM. Alternatively, you could just never turn off the console and keep it in Sleep Mode. The battery consumption is fairly low.

The modchip is a way to inject payloads within the console and without the need for an external device. The modchip doesn't replace RCM but there are some mods you can perform that will boot the console automatically into RCM without a jig or AutoRCM.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  • Not sure what you mean by safe but it is definitely reversible
  • You can update using the homebrew application Daybreak which comes bundled with Atmosphere
  • Its not really an issue

Thanks for your reply.
What I'm concerned about for using Daybreak for the sysmmc is that I wanted to not use any mods for that side (only emummc). I don't want any chance to be banned from nintendo online so making that decision saves me worry.

And the only reason I don't want auto-rcm to be turned off is because I don't want to use the jig if I don't have to, to not damage the pins. I might be willing to use the jig instead of daybreak, to save me the worry of some possibility the mods get detected, or things like that.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.
What I'm concerned about for using Daybreak for the sysmmc is that I wanted to not use any mods for that side (only emummc). I don't want any chance to be banned from nintendo online so making that decision saves me worry.

And the only reason I don't want auto-rcm to be turned off is because I don't want to use the jig if I don't have to, to not damage the pins. I might be willing to use the jig instead of daybreak, to save me the worry of some possibility the mods get detected, or things like that.
Well there are 2 other ways to update the firmware of sysMMC without using Daybreak while maintaining AutoRCM.

The first method is very risky and should only be used if you have a jig with 100% efficiency. AutoRCM is removed when the stock bootloader of the Switch is used so avoiding the stock bootloader is the key to this method. Basically, you boot the console into RCM after you finish installing the update. However if you fail to boot the console back into RCM, the stock bootloader will run removing AutoRCM as well as burning the anti-downgrade fuses.

The second method is more reliable but still involves exposing your console to a potential ban. Daybreak takes advantage of AutoRCM not being removed during a system update because CFW protects BOOT0 during system updates which is where AutoRCM is installed. Instead of using Daybreak, you can manually install the system update you downloaded from Nintendo while in CFW. In order to minimize risk, you can download the system update in Stock then go back offline when you switch to CFW to install the update. This is the method that I've been personally using and I have not been banned yet but your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well there are 2 other ways to update the firmware of sysMMC without using Daybreak while maintaining AutoRCM.

The first method is very risky and should only be used if you have a jig with 100% efficiency. AutoRCM is removed when the stock bootloader of the Switch is used so avoiding the stock bootloader is the key to this method. Basically, you boot the console into RCM after you finish installing the update. However if you fail to boot the console back into RCM, the stock bootloader will run removing AutoRCM as well as burning the anti-downgrade fuses.

The second method is more reliable but still involves exposing your console to a potential ban. Daybreak takes advantage of AutoRCM not being removed during a system update because CFW protects BOOT0 during system updates which is where AutoRCM is installed. Instead of using Daybreak, you can manually install the system update you downloaded from Nintendo while in CFW. In order to minimize risk, you can download the system update in Stock then go back offline when you switch to CFW to install the update. This is the method that I've been personally using and I have not been banned yet but your mileage may vary.

That's useful I think! I won't be using the first method, so I'd be interested in that second one.
Is it easy to download the update in stock without it installing? Does it involve canceling it?
And then when offline, where do you go to install that one?

If it's installed offline, how would nintendo have any idea of what happened? Just wondering how it would be exposed like you said.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

It is reversible, just disable autorcm, and use a jig to enter rcm mode, you can use daybreak to update your firmware, but you need a custom bootloader to preserve your fuse, if you have a low fuse count and a high firmware and it boot without a custom bootloader, it burnt your fuse. Shouldn't be a problem if your sysmmc firmware is higher than emummc, no conflict.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1