Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to make sure my new modded switch is properly set up before I reconnect it to wifi.
I followed the reentry guide and got atmosphere working, part of the setup included exosphere and something else to block ninty servers. I have a few questions now in fear of the banhammer:

- Am I able to connect emummc to wifi now? (So many forum posts say you should never connect to wifi, but then why the incognito setup?)
if you followed the guide to the letter with exosphere and dns:mitm setup you can connect to the Internet without going Online with Ninty. Doing so is not 100% guaranteed but so far folks have been running this way (being on the Internet but blocking Online) for years, self included, without issue.
If so:
- Can I use emummc to play online-safe modded smash (I was a part of he Smash 4 modding scene and know what that means)?
Do not play any Online games with a dirty Emunand. it is accepted practice to only play Online games using your clean Sysnand.
- Can I also use sysnand to play online games/eshop purchases despite those games having different save files from emummc?
Yes..this is the way. The only way. Clean Sysnand, yes. Dirty Emunand, no.

Reactions: Mattshark

carlcromwell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should be able to restore them with DBI as well. DBI to DBI or JKSV to JKSV is the ideal way to execute the process. Game saves are game saves so as long as they are in the right order you can restore backups from another app.
Well, that brings me back to my previous question. I started DBI and copied all the savegames on my PC hard drive via copy and paste.

When I open DBI app and the connection to my PC with my new Switch, I can not copy them back with copy + paste. How do I install them again?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that brings me back to my previous question. I started DBI and copied all the savegames on my PC hard drive via copy and paste.

When I open DBI app and the connection to my PC with my new Switch, I can not copy them back with copy + paste. How do I install them again?
You say copy/paste…let me make sure I understand…

Did you use save manager built into DBI?

image.jpg

Do you have a /switch/DBI/saves directory with date stamped folders and individual zip files for each game?

F793A406-92B6-4248-B2A1-962EFAAD9302.jpeg

Memodellocos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

I'd appreciate any help figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it.

Leadup:
While using emummc, I fired up a new game where it immediately gave me the following error:
IMG_7335.jpg

I turned it off and decided make a backup and then up update:
atmosphere 1.2.6 to 1.3.2
hekate from 5.7.0 to 5.7.2
sigpatch

While trying to delete the current sigpatches to make room for the new, I run into these files in the folder which is basically gibberish and can't be deleted afaik. And so I rename the folder, move it aside and called it a good. This makes me suspect that the backup I just made might also be bad:
IMG_7337.jpg

Now - I can't load emummc. I select the emummc option, hekate_ipl icon shows up, atmosphere icon shows up, and the it is just a black screen now.

I am able to load symmmc and stock is fine as well.

Additional troubleshooting I tried:
Delete and replace the atmosphere and bootloader folder completely (vs originally merging the updates). - same outcome
Using a different sd card with the backup I just made - same outcome.

I fear the sd card was corrupted which caused the first error and I've lost all my saves.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

I'd appreciate any help figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it.

Leadup:
While using emummc, I fired up a new game where it immediately gave me the following error:
View attachment 314200

I turned it off and decided make a backup and then up update:
atmosphere 1.2.6 to 1.3.2
hekate from 5.7.0 to 5.7.2
sigpatch

While trying to delete the current sigpatches to make room for the new, I run into these files in the folder which is basically gibberish and can't be deleted afaik. And so I rename the folder, move it aside and called it a good. This makes me suspect that the backup I just made might also be bad:
View attachment 314205

Now - I can't load emummc. I select the emummc option, hekate_ipl icon shows up, atmosphere icon shows up, and the it is just a black screen now.

I am able to load symmmc and stock is fine as well.

Additional troubleshooting I tried:
Delete and replace the atmosphere and bootloader folder completely (vs originally merging the updates). - same outcome
Using a different sd card with the backup I just made - same outcome.

I fear the sd card was corrupted which caused the first error and I've lost all my saves.
Yes, you have corruption. You can try to check your backups for anything that might have escaped unscathed but long story short you will need to start from scratch.

Now would be a good time to check you SDCard for hardware issues using h2testw.

To avoid file system corruption, it Is best to format sd cards to FAT32 with 32k blocks using something like rufus.

Once you’ve confirmed your card is OK, read through this guide and chose the options for your Switch.

https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

Last edited by binkinator,
  • Love
Reactions: Memodellocos

Poshkapish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just successfully updated Atmosphere to the latest version (1.3.2) and I'm currently in EmuMMC. I want to update my OFW from 13.2.1 to 14.1.2. In the past I remember using Chu Dujoir to update the Switch without burning fuses and then I switched to Daybreak to do the same. But now when I go into Daybreak to install the latest OFW update it isn't reading the files like it did in the past. Am I missing something that changed recently? I am connected online (blocking Nintendo's telemetry of course) and I have had AutoRCM active since I started shortly after the Switch's launch.

I've been using this guide: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

It says I can just update the OFW from the System Settings menu (without Daybreak), but won't that burn fuses? And can I do that update in EmuMMC or do I have to load into the SysNAND to do that update. I'm guessing after I update the OFW I'll have to do the steps to update the EmuMMC too.

Thanks ahead of time for any answers.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just successfully updated Atmosphere to the latest version (1.3.2) and I'm currently in EmuMMC. I want to update my OFW from 13.2.1 to 14.1.2. In the past I remember using Chu Dujoir to update the Switch without burning fuses and then I switched to Daybreak to do the same.
good choice. Choi is outdated. Daybreak is the right way.
But now when I go into Daybreak to install the latest OFW update it isn't reading the files like it did in the past.
Download them from that Dathsternie Firmware site and unzip them in /firmware directory. Not much else to it really.
Am I missing something that changed recently? I am connected online (blocking Nintendo's telemetry of course) and I have had AutoRCM active since I started shortly after the Switch's launch.

I've been using this guide: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

It says I can just update the OFW from the System Settings menu (without Daybreak), but won't that burn fuses?
It will only burn fuses if you don’t boot with Hekate. Hekate protects from running the fuse checker/burner.

That said, unless you are running something with really low fuse count, “not burning fuses” is not a goal worth pursuing these days.
And can I do that update in EmuMMC or do I have to load into the SysNAND to do that update.
If you go this route you will need to dump your firmware from Sysnand for redeployment to your Emunand. It’s worth it for proving street cred I guess, but Darthsternie gets you the exact same thing so you can bypass the whole upgrade of Sysnand altogether if you want to. Easy life…
I'm guessing after I update the OFW I'll have to do the steps to update the EmuMMC too.

Thanks ahead of time for any answers.
You bet! Enjoy!

Reactions: Poshkapish

Poshkapish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your help! Got it all sorted out. It tuned out I couldn't see the firmware files I had downloaded from Darthsternie through Daybreak because somehow a hekate CTCAER folder or something got put in the firmware folder -- I probably did it when I was copy pasting everything for updates. After I removed that folder everything worked and Daybreak recognized the OFW update properly.

Reactions: binkinator

its_tyl3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
HI! I've lost my legal island on Animal Crossing New Horizon, so I decided to do another one in my modded Switch and tranfer it on my vanilla Switch. Since I wish to cheat something on the modded Switch Island, I risk ban by using the transfer tool? Thanks in advance

iepuras

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
HI! I've lost my legal island on Animal Crossing New Horizon, so I decided to do another one in my modded Switch and tranfer it on my vanilla Switch. Since I wish to cheat something on the modded Switch Island, I risk ban by using the transfer tool? Thanks in advance
I've done transfers that way for over a year - no problems so far 🤷🏼‍♀️ haven't heard anyone report of bans strictly because of that either

Reactions: binkinator

prof72

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Correct. The instructions I sent will get you to an upgraded FW. You don't want to have upgraded FW before you've updated your CFW to handle it.

No need to improvise your own instructions. The guide I sent you has everything you need.

Daybreak.nro is installed by default. It's already on your switch. No worries. It will update if needed.

Yes, you will need to update your CFW (Atmosphere). I highly recommend you follow the PC (not AIO) way. AIO is for experts who know what to do if things break.

Correct. Go to the link I sent you and execute them in the following order:

First do the one circled in Red.
Then do the one circled in Blue.
Lastly you will need to do the one circled in Black.
Unless you have a Mod Chip you don't likely need to do the rest.

View attachment 312613
sorry ive been busy
so now im just on the first step (red circle)
follow the instruction with the 3 zip files
then im trying to boot the hekate 5.7.2 using tegra

now i tried launching it without tegra cause its not working
i chose "atmosphere" but imt re-directing to hekate
and the version of hekate is at v5.7.2 (top left corner)

then i continued on the next step
"
  • TegraExplorer
  • Lockpick_RCM
  • FirmwareDump Script"

11 Select <- Exit explorer and then select Reboot to bootloader/update.bin to boot back into Hekate.
12 Your firmware dump will now be in /tegraexplorer/Firmware/.

still when i launch atmospher im redirected to hekate

then i went on the 3rd step

You will first need to create a folder named firmware on the root of your SD card
Then you can place your firmware files in your firmware folder.
Afterwards, proceed with the following steps:

1. Launch Daybreak from the homebrew menu
  2. and so on

but the problem is that im not launching in the atmosphere, i am redirected to hekate.

im using v2, is this mariko?

this part im also confuse but i tried it
  • fusee
    • Only download this if you are using fusee.bin.
do i even need tegra? it seems its not working for me injecting it.

Move fusee.bin to /bootloader/payloads/.
  • If you inject fusee.bin with a payload injector, then update the payload on your injector.
should i follow this one? if yes how to what? i dont understand..

where to download firmware files? 14.1.2

Attachments

• tegra 1.png
    tegra 1.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by prof72,

its_tyl3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've done transfers that way for over a year - no problems so far 🤷🏼‍♀️ haven't heard anyone report of bans strictly because of that either
You have transfered island with cheated items? And if yes, how have you done it? Have I to connect to Nintendo Network?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry ive been busy
so now im just on the first step (red circle)
follow the instruction with the 3 zip files
then im trying to boot the hekate 5.7.2 using tegra

now i tried launching it without tegra cause its not working
i chose "atmosphere" but imt re-directing to hekate
and the version of hekate is at v5.7.2 (top left corner)

then i continued on the next step
we need to successfully complete this first step before moving on to the next one.
"
  • TegraExplorer
  • Lockpick_RCM
  • FirmwareDump Script"

11 Select <- Exit explorer and then select Reboot to bootloader/update.bin to boot back into Hekate.
12 Your firmware dump will now be in /tegraexplorer/Firmware/.

still when i launch atmospher im redirected to hekate

then i went on the 3rd step
again…don’t move on to the next step before completing the prior step.
You will first need to create a folder named firmware on the root of your SD card
Then you can place your firmware files in your firmware folder.
Afterwards, proceed with the following steps:

1. Launch Daybreak from the homebrew menu
  2. and so on

but the problem is that im not launching in the atmosphere, i am redirected to hekate.
we need to fix this piece right here.
im using v2, is this mariko?
yes, a v2 is a Mariko which means you will be using a mod chip.
this part im also confuse but i tried it
  • fusee
    • Only download this if you are using fusee.bin.
do i even need tegra? it seems its not working for me injecting it.

Move fusee.bin to /bootloader/payloads/.
  • If you inject fusee.bin with a payload injector, then update the payload on your injector.
should i follow this one? if yes how to what? i dont understand..
Since you are using Mariko there is no need to inject anything. Injecting is for V1 Erista only.

Please answer these two questions:

Which modchip are you using? (HWFLY or Original SX)
Do you use Emunand or Sysnand?

saggan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I have a question ⁉️
I tried to install atmosphere several times using different SD cards but couldn't
Keeps saying your SD card is corrupt
I even tried to just backup my nand and couldn't
Is the slot broken
Because it's functioning ok without the cfw !!!

Filya

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, i tried to perform an installation of hwfly chip by myself, after i did it, i noticed that i knocked off and missed this capacitor.. I need to order this one but i dont know which one is this. Help would appreciated. I have OLED version tho

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-191501~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-191501~3.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 25

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question ⁉️
I tried to install atmosphere several times using different SD cards but couldn't
Keeps saying your SD card is corrupt
I even tried to just backup my nand and couldn't
Is the slot broken
Because it's functioning ok without the cfw !!!

check you SDCard for hardware issues using h2testw, if it comes back good then it’s something on the switch side and you should look to replace the sd card reader.

iFixit is a big contributor to tear downs and other documentation and worthy of support.

Amazon has cheaper ones as well.

Last edited by binkinator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge