Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does autorcm mode do?

a) any guide you follow will include turning it on.
b) autorcm means that whenever you turn on your console or reboot your console it will go into rcm mode, rcm meaning like recovery mode, like the debug mode you enter to try and do something like factory reset a smartphone.
c) this means your switch will not work, like at all, it'll just be powered on and show a black screen. waiting in rcm mode. you then use a usb device (like your computer or phone or specially made device dongle for this express purpose) to send a payload to the switch. this is how the "hack" works. this then boots you into hekate.
d) rcm mode is what almost all hacks are based on, and is what all popular hacks are based on.
e) autorcm bypasses the part of an initial switch bootup procedure which would burn fuses.

f) you can of course just put your switch to sleep when you're not using it to avoid the added pain of needing a usb cord to turn your switch back on.

edit: Sorry if I've explained this poorly, but TL;DR 99.9% of people are using autorcm, you probably will be too.

Last edited by namad,

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a) any guide you follow will include turning it on.
b) autorcm means that whenever you turn on your console or reboot your console it will go into rcm mode, rcm meaning like recovery mode, like the debug mode you enter to try and do something like factory reset a smartphone.
c) this means your switch will not work, like at all, it'll just be powered on and show a black screen. waiting in rcm mode. you then use a usb device (like your computer or phone or specially made device dongle for this express purpose) to send a payload to the switch. this is how the "hack" works. this then boots you into hekate.
d) rcm mode is what almost all hacks are based on, and is what all popular hacks are based on.
e) autorcm bypasses the part of an initial switch bootup procedure which would burn fuses.

f) you can of course just put your switch to sleep when you're not using it to avoid the added pain of needing a usb cord to turn your switch back on.

edit: Sorry if I've explained this poorly, but TL;DR 99.9% of people are using autorcm, you probably will be too.

Hmm. Well I only need rcm mode for modding right? Or are you saying I need it everytime I want to boot into hekate? (and use the emunand)

Is it without autorcm that someone would need a usb cord? or with it? I want it to be the simplest possible.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If autorcm is useful for booting more easily into things, I could still turn it on even if I've burned fuses right?
Is there any advantage to keeping fuses unburnt besides dowgrading? That's probably one thing I wanna know.

If nintendo eventually checks what's going on with fuses, maybe it's better to burn them as I go along. Altho if autocrn prevents that later on too, then maybe it's problematic anyway?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Last edited by Windsall,

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Well I only need rcm mode for modding right? Or are you saying I need it everytime I want to boot into hekate? (and use the emunand)

Is it without autorcm that someone would need a usb cord? or with it? I want it to be the simplest possible.

If autorcm is useful for booting more easily into things, I could still turn it on even if I've burned fuses right?
Is there any advantage to keeping fuses unburnt besides dowgrading? That's probably one thing I wanna know.

If nintendo eventually checks what's going on with fuses, maybe it's better to burn them as I go along. Altho if autocrn prevents that later on too, then maybe it's problematic anyway?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

You've misunderstood me. 99% of switch hack users are using autorcm in order to easily access rcm. You need this in order to boot into hekate (I mean maybe not technically, maybe there's another solution that's MORE complicated, but all the guides you'll read will instruct you to use autorcm). That is how you will always boot your hacked switch. autorcm kicks you into rcm mode, you deliver the payload via usb in order to see hekate, then tap to launch your switch CFW (probably your CFW will be atmosphere).

So to be clear, you will be using rcm to boot hekate. Yes. Autorcm makes accessing rcm 1000% simpler and more foolproof. Without autorcm you'd need to use the jig 1000s of times instead of just once ever total. autorcm replaces the need for the jig after you've used the jig correctly just one time.

I usually use this as a reference for myself, because I'm not that technically savvy
myself.

https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html

Reading a few key threads on gbatemp provides you with lightyears more detail than that of the above link. (covering all sorts of interesting/moreadvanced topics). But if you have to ask questions like, what is rcm, what is autorcm, what are fuses? Things like this. Then I do think you might want to read the above link. It's nicely sorted and color coded with hyperlinks to go between sections it covers.

You only need to deliver a payload to your switch when you turn it on. The main reason to turn my own switch off is because I've decided to just change a bunch of files on my switch sdcard, so I had to take my sdcard out. So I'm at my computer already anyways. Although you only need to do this to update things like your CFW, you can actually transfer files via homebrew file transfer apps via usb without the turning the switch off. Then personally I just put the switch to sleep when I'm not using it instead of turning it off, others may handle it differently though.

Last edited by namad,

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You've misunderstood me. 99.9 of switch hack users are using autorcm in order to easily access rcm. You need this in order to boot into hekate (I mean maybe not technically, maybe there's another solution that's MORE complicated, but all the guides you'll read will instruct you to use autorcm). That is how you will always boot your hacked switch. autorcm kicks you into rcm mode, you deliver the payload via usb in order to see hekate, then tap to launch your switch CFW (probably your CFW will be atmosphere).

So to be clear, you will be using rcm to boot hekate. Yes. Autorcm makes accessing rcm 1000% simpler and more foolproof. Without autorcm you'd need to use the jig 1000s of times instead of just once ever total. autorcm replaces the need for the jig after you've used the jig correctly just one time.

I understand, thanks. I'm discouraged though because I thought I wouldn't need to inject a payload everytime, that makes it very inconvenient if I'm not near a computer or something. I don't have a phone or anything. Is there no way to avoid this? (besides a modchip)

3 more questions since I know this now:

1) If I disable auto-rcm, will the system boot normally into the sysnand? (without needing anything, but obviously no access to the cfw)

2) I've seen some places talk about updating through the cfw, but I thought doing that would mean nintendo would detect a change compared to last time online and so possibly ban. Which is why I was going to update with nintendo, with the sysnand. For someone who wants to be able to play online, it's better to update through nintendo right?

3) I also heard that doing a system update disables auto-rcm on next boot, is that true? As in I'd need to use the jig when I update to make sure it doesn't burn a fuse (if there's a good reason not to burn them)

Last edited by Windsall,

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, basically, I'm thinking I probably won't ever need to downgrade, which is why I might not bother with the fuses being burned or not. (and use nintendo to upgrade, as a safer method)

Does any booting of the system without rcm burn fuses based on the version? That means at some point, when I don't want to use rcm, it's going to happen anyway. I might not always be around payloaders, so i wanna be able to set up so I can just use it normally sometimes too.

I'm open to a different path though, but it seems like a lot more trouble when upgrading, to make sure fuses aren't burnt.
So I don't mind if they burn. This seem fine?

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, basically, I'm thinking I probably won't ever need to downgrade, which is why I might not bother with the fuses being burned or not. (and use nintendo to upgrade, as a safer method)

Does any booting of the system without rcm burn fuses based on the version? That means at some point, when I don't want to use rcm, it's going to happen anyway. I might not always be around payloaders, so i wanna be able to set up so I can just use it normally sometimes too.

I'm open to a different path though, but it seems like a lot more trouble when upgrading, to make sure fuses aren't burnt.
So I don't mind if they burn. This seem fine?

I still think autorcm is vitally important to most users, even in your position. You could allow your fuses to become burned today. That won't really hurt things, but even then you will likely still want to use autorcm if you can. Otherwise nintendo could put out a new firmware that breaks your setup and your switch might automatically update to it, then reboot and burn a new fuse. Now you might not care about always being able to downgrade to firmware 1 or 4 or 10.... but in 2023 maybe you'll desperately want to downgrade from firmware 15 to firmware 14 for unknown reasons we cannot see in the future.

Of course if you never go online the above section doesn't matter at all.

Without autorcm you will need to use the jig every time you enter hekate/cfw/hacking/etc. Whereas with autorcm you will instead need a usb cord+computingdevice every time you turn on your switch (but keep in mind that resuming from sleep mode doesn't count).

So even if you don't care at all about the fuses. You have to ask what is easier? Using the jig 40 times or using a usb cord 100 times. Keep in mind, even if you think a computer or phone are too cumbersome, you could always buy a custom 3rdparty switch payload injector usb dongle thingie (it's a real thing many people have). I myself I use my computer, although maybe that isn't feasible for you.

Last edited by namad,

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still think autorcm is vitally important to most users, even in your position. You could allow your fuses to become burned today. That won't really hurt things, but even then you will likely still want to use autorcm if you can. Otherwise nintendo could put out a new firmware that breaks your setup and your switch might automatically update to it, then reboot and burn a new fuse. Now you might not care about always being able to downgrade to firmware 1 or 4 or 10.... but in 2023 maybe you'll desperately want to downgrade from firmware 15 to firmware 14 for unknown reasons we cannot see in the future.

Of course if you never go online the above section doesn't matter at all.

Without autorcm you will need to use the jig every time you enter hekate/cfw/hacking/etc. Whereas with autorcm you will instead need a usb cord+computingdevice every time you turn on your switch (but keep in mind that resuming from sleep mode doesn't count).

So even if you don't care at all about the fuses. You have to ask what is easier? Using the jig 40 times or using a usb cord 100 times. Keep in mind, even if you think a computer or phone are too cumbersome, you could always buy a custom 3rdparty switch payload injector usb dongle thingie (it's a real thing many people have). I myself I use my computer, although maybe that isn't feasible for you.

Yes I understand, I'll use autorcm most of the time because I prefer that to using the jig.
And I will put it to sleep also most of the time so that I don't need the usb.
I can look for a dongle in the future when I need things more on the go. I don't need it for now.

I will be using online, though whenever there's an update I'll wait and look into things first (unless the update is automatic?)
Basically, I want to be able to have the option to boot it without rcm, mostly in cases where I'd take my switch with me somewhere, and maybe sleep mode would use too much energy so I'd want to turn it off and don't have a pc or something nearby (or just, not able to payload it)

Thanks for your input, and of course I'm open for more if you think of something based on what I said.
I guess it comes down to that I'd like to keep my switch up to date as I can, and it seems simpler using nintendo's update online.

Not sure how to avoid burning a fuse if I'd sometimes boot it without rcm.

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I understand, I'll use autorcm most of the time because I prefer that to using the jig.
And I will put it to sleep also most of the time so that I don't need the usb.
I can look for a dongle in the future when I need things more on the go. I don't need it for now.

I will be using online, though whenever there's an update I'll wait and look into things first (unless the update is automatic?)
Basically, I want to be able to have the option to boot it without rcm, mostly in cases where I'd take my switch with me somewhere, and maybe sleep mode would use too much energy so I'd want to turn it off and don't have a pc or something nearby (or just, not able to payload it)

Thanks for your input, and of course I'm open for more if you think of something based on what I said.
I guess it comes down to that I'd like to keep my switch up to date as I can, and it seems simpler using nintendo's update online.

Not sure how to avoid burning a fuse if I'd sometimes boot it without rcm.

I think sometimes people have ended up updating their switch accidentally, that's why I'm so paranoid about it I guess. Someone else probably has a more experienced opinion than me though. You are correct though, you can turn autorcm on/off (it's a hekate option; guides explain it) depending on what your life is like that day/week. My life is quite boring so I never really considered needing to choose both rather than either/or.

Last edited by namad,
Reactions: Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think sometimes people have ended up updating their switch accidentally, that's why I'm so paranoid about it I guess. Someone else probably has a more experienced opinion than me though. You are correct though, you can turn autorcm on/off (it's a hekate option; guides explain it) depending on what your life is like that day/week. My life is quite boring so I never really considered needing to choose both rather than either/or.

Good to know.

I took a look at the tutorial for how to install anything without burning fuses (I assume that includes upgrading firmware) and it's way too long for me I find. If it's the only way to keep up to date offline, then I'd rather not wrack my brain over it xD.

I am concerned for if ever I'd need to downgrade though.
So that's why I'm open to other thoughts on things.

Braden Scholes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a nand backup and played online on sysnand without cfw. I had to restore the old nand backup after updating some games and playing online for about a week. I haven't gone online since I restored because I am scared of an account ban. I want to try to go online again to see if I am banned. Is it worth factory resetting before going back online or would that make any difference? I only ask because I wonder if nintendo checks for playtime decreases to detect hackers.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a nand backup and played online on sysnand without cfw. I had to restore the old nand backup after updating some games and playing online for about a week. I haven't gone online since I restored because I am scared of an account ban. I want to try to go online again to see if I am banned. Is it worth factory resetting before going back online or would that make any difference? I only ask because I wonder if nintendo checks for playtime decreases to detect hackers.
Factory resets do not prevent bans. It is a well-known fact in the hacking community and it would be silly for Nintendo to implement anti-banning features in their own console. Furthermore, people have been banned even after performing a factory reset. On top of that, you have already gone online so Nintendo would already have the ability to ban you because they have whatever information you gave them. Anything you do from this point toward cannot decrease your chances but increase them.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Factory resets do not prevent bans. It is a well-known fact in the hacking community and it would be silly for Nintendo to implement anti-banning features in their own console. Furthermore, people have been banned even after performing a factory reset. On top of that, you have already gone online so Nintendo would already have the ability to ban you because they have whatever information you gave them. Anything you do from this point toward cannot decrease your chances but increase them.

What about upgrading until it works?

@Braden Scholes Why did you have to downgrade it? I think only upgrading it (done properly) would not trigger online to see that the versions dont match last they saw you.
(newb talking, so i may know much tho)

Braden Scholes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, I guess what I'm trying to say is that while a console ban is likely inevitable, wouldn't a factory reset keep me safe from a account ban since hypothetically I could have factory reset the switch and sold it to somebody who then proceeded to hack it.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gotcha, I guess what I'm trying to say is that while a console ban is likely inevitable, wouldn't a factory reset keep me safe from a account ban since hypothetically I could have factory reset the switch and sold it to somebody who then proceeded to hack it.

That's actually something I wondered a while back, because if it's the version that nintendo checks,to see if it matches or not, why would a factory reset be ok? (assuming it takes it back to v1.0.

(hoping someone knows the anser xD)

Braden Scholes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

@Braden Scholes Why did you have to downgrade it? I think only upgrading it (done properly) would not trigger online to see that the versions dont match last they saw you.
(newb talking, so i may know much tho)
I didn't actually mean to restore it I'm just an idiot and didn't know the difference between emmc and emummc. The there were no firmware updates between when the backup was made and the last time I went online, but I played and updated games so my playtime decreased and my games were downgraded.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrading until what works exactly?

As I have previously stated, nothing you can do from this point onwards can decrease your chances of a ban as you have already went online. To put it another way, by previously going online, data was already transmitted to Nintendo's servers. A factory reset will not affect the data that has already been submitted.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't actually mean to restore it I'm just an idiot and didn't know the difference between emmc and emummc. The there were no firmware updates between when the backup was made and the last time I went online, but I played and updated games so my playtime decreased and my games were downgraded.

I didn't know the game versions and playtime were tied to the nand.
Upgrading the game versions might be possible, but if the playtime would matter then you're probaly screwed. So IF those things matter, then a factory reset might be a good question to ask.

As I have previously stated, nothing you can do from this point onwards can decrease your chances of a ban as you have already went online. To put it another way, by previously going online, data was already transmitted to Nintendo's servers. A factory reset will not affect the data that has already been submitted.

He only went online before the restore, I think, which means nintendo has no reason to ban them right now. It's for when they go back and things are checked.

Considering that, maybe there's some solutions (like a factory reset)?

Last edited by Windsall,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He only went online before the restore, I think, which means nintendo has no reason to ban them right now. It's for when they go back and things are checked.

Considering that, maybe there's some solutions (like a factory reset)?
The only ways to prevent a ban are by either not hacking or going online. There aren't really ways to reduce the chances of a ban. I suppose the best thing he can do is to do as you suggested and update to the same firmware he was on before the restore.

Braden Scholes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry I think I'm having trouble conveying what I mean here. It is my understanding that there are two types of bans, "console bans" which are limited to specific hardware, and "account bans" which locks your entire mynintendo account and you lose access to all of your digital games. I have accepted that my console will likely receive a ban if I ever take it back online, but I would really like to avoid an account ban as I own a lot of digital games. So let me retrace what happened so far...
1. Created nand backup
2. Played online and updated games (firmware did not change between backup and last time online)
3. Restored nand
4. Have not gone online since nand restoration

As it sits right now Nintendo has little reason to suspect anything since the last time I went online I had not done anything fishy. I understand that they will be able to tell that the switch has been tampered when I go back online, but if I perform a factory reset before going back online then my account will not be currently linked to the tampered switch (they still know my account was linked to the console in the past) but they would not have full confidence that my account was ever involved with the tampering therefore they likely wouldn't ban the account... right?

Last edited by Braden Scholes,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock