Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not recommend using the AIO updater to update your Switch because many people have been having issues with that. As a general rule of thumb, CFW should always be updated before firmware because newer versions of CFW have no downsides compared to older versions but newer firmware versions break older versions of CFW. As for updating your CFW, its as simple as deleting the old CFW files (namely the /atmosphere and /sept folders) and downloading the newest ones from the GitHub page. If you are going to update your CFW, you will need newer patches which you can find in the pinned thread on this forum. Lastly, your Nintendo Switch firmware can be updated with the homebrew application Daybreak which comes bundled with Atmosphere by default. All you will have to do is find the Nintendo Switch firmware files of the firmware you wish to update to online. Since those files are copyrighted however, they cannot be shared here on this forum even via private message but Google is your friend.

Thanks for this reply -- it was very helpful. Is there a downside to remaining on older firmware? I'm still on 10.2 -- but I imagine any game updates would require me to move forward to higher revision, no? Other than updates and newer DLC possibly being gated by higher firmware, is there anything else I would miss out on?

kruptah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could somebody please reply with the right links to the appropriate payload file to launch atmosphere with my new ns-atmosphere dongle as well as the right SD files????

Thanks in advance.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Reactions: impeeza

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello there! I have a couple of questions and I hope someone can help me with it.

I used my legal Sysnand online until Firmware 5.0, then I switched to SX OS (the one with the little dongle thing), created an Emunand from my Sysnand (Unpatched Switch) and left it untouched at this point. Since SX OS support seems to have reached its end, I now decided to install Atmosphere on Emunand basis as well.

Guide I used to install Atmosphere on Emunand: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/sd_preparation/

It seems to have worked and Atmosphere is running flawless on 12.0.2 AMS M.1.9.3 E. So far the explanation for the background I work with, now my questions:

1. So from what I understand, every time I shut down my Switch I have to inject the payload again. There is no permanent way of booting into Atmosphere?

2. The payloads are purely a way of getting "into" the system, is that correct? If so, why are there so many? There is Hekate, Fusee Primary, ReiNX and the SX Loader. Does every payload has other functions that are important?

3. Since I used SX OS before, I mostly have XCI games. I know that Tinfoil can run those games, but it seems not compatible with every payload? When I used Hekate, there occured an error. What other options do I have for installing those, except turning them into NSP or other formats? Goldleaf seems not capable of installing XCI games.

4. How does Chainloading work?

5. Since I want to keep SX OS as long as it breaks, is it possible to have a menu or hold a button on start to boot in Atmosphere or SX?

6. I use a 128 GB Micro SD card for everything and have 2 partitions at the moment. One is for the Atmo Emunand (30 GB) and the rest is for SX OS Emunand and everything else on the SD card. Should I make my Atmo Emunand bigger? 30 GB seems a little tiny when I think about it.

7. Are there any useful apps I'm missing out? I have HB App Store, Checkpoint, Daybreak, NX-Shell, NX Themes, Amiigo and FTPD Pro.

8. I updated my Switch through the official Nintendo server, not daybreak. Is that bad?

9. Are themes harmful to my Switch?

10. Can the SX OS Installer be used in Atmosphere? I get an error when I try to use it.

Sorry for the many things I'm asking. I would be really grateful if someone would read it either way. ;-)

Stay healthy!

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Should there be any other bin files written to the payload injector?

I've done as you said and still am unable to launch CFW.
No thats enough. Are you sure you are doing it correct? Use a jig in the right joycon rail and power on the Switch while holding volume +
Then send the payload using the dongle.

Reactions: kruptah

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this reply -- it was very helpful. Is there a downside to remaining on older firmware? I'm still on 10.2 -- but I imagine any game updates would require me to move forward to higher revision, no? Other than updates and newer DLC possibly being gated by higher firmware, is there anything else I would miss out on?
Hmm? You weren't the person I originally replied to. But I guess if my post helped you, it doesn't matter. Anyways, the only advantage to being on older firmware versions is in case a better exploit is released on a lower firmware version such as an untethered coldboot hack. However since we can update without burning fuses, fuses being the only roadblock to fully downgrading, then there is little reason to stay on lower firmware versions. On the flipside, the only reason you would update your firmware is to play newer content as newer games and updates will require higher firmware versions. There is also the obvious online play but that is not a good idea with a hacked console.

Hello there! I have a couple of questions and I hope someone can help me with it.

I used my legal Sysnand online until Firmware 5.0, then I switched to SX OS (the one with the little dongle thing), created an Emunand from my Sysnand (Unpatched Switch) and left it untouched at this point. Since SX OS support seems to have reached its end, I now decided to install Atmosphere on Emunand basis as well.

Guide I used to install Atmosphere on Emunand: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/sd_preparation/

It seems to have worked and Atmosphere is running flawless on 12.0.2 AMS M.1.9.3 E. So far the explanation for the background I work with, now my questions:

1. So from what I understand, every time I shut down my Switch I have to inject the payload again. There is no permanent way of booting into Atmosphere?

2. The payloads are purely a way of getting "into" the system, is that correct? If so, why are there so many? There is Hekate, Fusee Primary, ReiNX and the SX Loader. Does every payload has other functions that are important?

3. Since I used SX OS before, I mostly have XCI games. I know that Tinfoil can run those games, but it seems not compatible with every payload? When I used Hekate, there occured an error. What other options do I have for installing those, except turning them into NSP or other formats? Goldleaf seems not capable of installing XCI games.

4. How does Chainloading work?

5. Since I want to keep SX OS as long as it breaks, is it possible to have a menu or hold a button on start to boot in Atmosphere or SX?

6. I use a 128 GB Micro SD card for everything and have 2 partitions at the moment. One is for the Atmo Emunand (30 GB) and the rest is for SX OS Emunand and everything else on the SD card. Should I make my Atmo Emunand bigger? 30 GB seems a little tiny when I think about it.

7. Are there any useful apps I'm missing out? I have HB App Store, Checkpoint, Daybreak, NX-Shell, NX Themes, Amiigo and FTPD Pro.

8. I updated my Switch through the official Nintendo server, not daybreak. Is that bad?

9. Are themes harmful to my Switch?

10. Can the SX OS Installer be used in Atmosphere? I get an error when I try to use it.

Sorry for the many things I'm asking. I would be really grateful if someone would read it either way. ;-)

Stay healthy!
  1. Injecting a payload is how the exploit works. No part of that exploit is installed to the system nor is it possible to install to the system. If you want to simulate the feeling of an untethered coldboot hack, you can have a modchip installed to your system
  2. One reason for the variety of payloads is due to the variety of CFW. Each CFW has its own respective payload; ReiNX for ReiNX, SX Loader for SX OS, and Fusee for Atmosphere. Another reason is that payloads can serve special functions that is more advantageous than as a homebrew application. For example, AutoRCM is a feature that allows users to bypass the need for a jig by "bricking" the console but it is reversible. However it would be inconvenient to have to boot to homebrew in order to disable or enable this feature. That is why some payloads are dedicated towards toggling this feature.
  3. It is not due to the payload but rather the CFW. SX OS has patches built in that support backups however Atmosphere does not support launching backups out of the box. In order to do that, you need special patches which you can find in the pinned thread on this forum. Once you have the patches on your SD card, you are all set to install anything whether they are .NSP or .XCI files. I also highly recommend using TinWoo Installer instead to install your games instead
  4. Chainloading is a term used to describe launching a payload from another payload. The SX OS menu has an option for you to select another payload. The same applies to Hekate. This allows you to juggle multiple payloads on your SD card while only ever sending one to your Switch\
  5. There is no one button method of launching into the CFW of your choice but with chainloading and the right payload, you can still have the option of booting Atmosphere or SX OS. While you can chainload via the SX OS menu, I do not recommend doing so as there have been issues reported when chainloading from that menu. Instead, I would recommend chainloading from Hekate which has the ability to directly boot into Atmosphere or chainload into SX OS
  6. There is not much reason to make the Atmo partition larger. That partition is the "internal memory" of the emuMMC and to emuMMC, it is not that much different than the normal SD card storage space. Games do not load significantly faster if installed to the emuMMC internal memory versus the SD card because those are located in the same place; within the SD card"Useful" is hard to describe since homebrew applications mostly serve to fit niche needs within the community. If you do not desire the niche a homebrew app delivers, then it is not necessarily worthwhile to keep it. The only homebrew application I would advise on getting is the title installer I mentioned above, TinWoo Installer
  7. "Useful" is a subjective term as the purpose of homebrew applications are to serve the niche needs of the community. If you do not find the use of a certain homebrew app necessary, then it is not "useful" to you but the same cannot be said for everyone else. That being said, if there was one homebrew application I would recommend getting, it would be the one I mentioned above, TinWoo Installer
  8. It is not bad unless you care about fuses and/or are worried about being banned. Updating online normally burns fuses and fuses are the gatekeepers to downgrading. The only reason one would potentially care about downgrading is in case a better exploit is discovered on a lower firmware version such as an untethered coldboot hack similar to your first question. It is not the end of the world if you have burned fuses up until this point but the chances of such an exploit becomes greater the lower firmware version you can downgrade to. As for bans, it is common knowledge that bringing a hacked console online is asking for a ban. While it is not guaranteed, it is a risk some do not worth taking
  9. Themes aren't inherently harmful to the Switch but they are annoying, in a sense. Basically, the way themes are created involve modifying qLaunch also known as the Home menu. However qLaunch is usually updated every major firmware version or so and thus when updating across major firmware versions, themes tend to break which lead to unsuccessful launches of CFW characterized by a black screen and an error code. If you stay on top of updating your theme when updating your firmware, then themes are harmless otherwise you may find yourself creating a thread asking why your CFW won't launch only to realize the issue is your theme
  10. I do not know if it is compatible or not but since it has not been updated in forever, I cannot recommend you use it especially when there are much better title installers available such as the one I name dropped earlier

Reactions: Bimmel

kruptah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No thats enough. Are you sure you are doing it correct? Use a jig in the right joycon rail and power on the Switch while holding volume +
Then send the payload using the dongle.
Yes, exactly that. This isn’t my first switch mod btw, but perhaps I am not using this new payload injector correctly or the old hard mod (still inside switch) that died with the latest Nintendo firmware update is somehow interfering with the new soft mod.

Bimmel

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
  1. Injecting a payload is how the exploit works. No part of that exploit is installed to the system nor is it possible to install to the system. If you want to simulate the feeling of an untethered coldboot hack, you can have a modchip installed to your system
  2. One reason for the variety of payloads is due to the variety of CFW. Each CFW has its own respective payload; ReiNX for ReiNX, SX Loader for SX OS, and Fusee for Atmosphere. Another reason is that payloads can serve special functions that is more advantageous than as a homebrew application. For example, AutoRCM is a feature that allows users to bypass the need for a jig by "bricking" the console but it is reversible. However it would be inconvenient to have to boot to homebrew in order to disable or enable this feature. That is why some payloads are dedicated towards toggling this feature.
  3. It is not due to the payload but rather the CFW. SX OS has patches built in that support backups however Atmosphere does not support launching backups out of the box. In order to do that, you need special patches which you can find in the pinned thread on this forum. Once you have the patches on your SD card, you are all set to install anything whether they are .NSP or .XCI files. I also highly recommend using TinWoo Installer instead to install your games instead
  4. Chainloading is a term used to describe launching a payload from another payload. The SX OS menu has an option for you to select another payload. The same applies to Hekate. This allows you to juggle multiple payloads on your SD card while only ever sending one to your Switch\
  5. There is no one button method of launching into the CFW of your choice but with chainloading and the right payload, you can still have the option of booting Atmosphere or SX OS. While you can chainload via the SX OS menu, I do not recommend doing so as there have been issues reported when chainloading from that menu. Instead, I would recommend chainloading from Hekate which has the ability to directly boot into Atmosphere or chainload into SX OS
  6. There is not much reason to make the Atmo partition larger. That partition is the "internal memory" of the emuMMC and to emuMMC, it is not that much different than the normal SD card storage space. Games do not load significantly faster if installed to the emuMMC internal memory versus the SD card because those are located in the same place; within the SD card"Useful" is hard to describe since homebrew applications mostly serve to fit niche needs within the community. If you do not desire the niche a homebrew app delivers, then it is not necessarily worthwhile to keep it. The only homebrew application I would advise on getting is the title installer I mentioned above, TinWoo Installer
  7. "Useful" is a subjective term as the purpose of homebrew applications are to serve the niche needs of the community. If you do not find the use of a certain homebrew app necessary, then it is not "useful" to you but the same cannot be said for everyone else. That being said, if there was one homebrew application I would recommend getting, it would be the one I mentioned above, TinWoo Installer
  8. It is not bad unless you care about fuses and/or are worried about being banned. Updating online normally burns fuses and fuses are the gatekeepers to downgrading. The only reason one would potentially care about downgrading is in case a better exploit is discovered on a lower firmware version such as an untethered coldboot hack similar to your first question. It is not the end of the world if you have burned fuses up until this point but the chances of such an exploit becomes greater the lower firmware version you can downgrade to. As for bans, it is common knowledge that bringing a hacked console online is asking for a ban. While it is not guaranteed, it is a risk some do not worth taking
  9. Themes aren't inherently harmful to the Switch but they are annoying, in a sense. Basically, the way themes are created involve modifying qLaunch also known as the Home menu. However qLaunch is usually updated every major firmware version or so and thus when updating across major firmware versions, themes tend to break which lead to unsuccessful launches of CFW characterized by a black screen and an error code. If you stay on top of updating your theme when updating your firmware, then themes are harmless otherwise you may find yourself creating a thread asking why your CFW won't launch only to realize the issue is your theme
  10. I do not know if it is compatible or not but since it has not been updated in forever, I cannot recommend you use it especially when there are much better title installers available such as the one I name dropped earlier
First of all, thank you so much for your answer! Before I knew it, there was a wall of text and the questions kept coming.

1. I see, that's what I guessed. Since the Switch has a nice standby mode and I play more docked than anything else, I will work with the temporary payload exploit method.

2. Oh, I didn't know there were more CFW than SX OS and Atmosphere, interesting. Would you recommend the RCM feature for a user not that advanced?

3. Thank you. I tried TinWoo Installer and it worked just fine with my XCI game. So I guess I don't need any further patches? And may I ask why one should prefer TinWoo over Tinfoil?

4. I see. Thank you for explaining.

5. I managed to chainload Hekate into Fusee primary because of Tinfoil before. Has this any negative effect? I'm not sure how to reverse that since I've read so many different guides by now and I don't want to mess anything up. In the meantime I managed to implement SX OS as an option under "payloads", which is good enough for me.

6. Okay, I will let the partitioning how it is then.

7. Well, I think I have everything that I need at the moment, there is nothing I really miss. Thank your recommendation, TinWoo works like a charm.

8. I bought a second Switch which I use to play online, so that's nothing I want to do. But I use the updates from the Nintendo game server, which is risky, I know that. SX OS had some kind of "Stealth Mode". Is there anything I can use as well? In case of a ban, I can delete my Emunand and create a new one.. or can Nintendo ban my "whole" Switch?

9. That sounds indeed annoying. I will delete it, thank you for the advice.

10. Yes, you are right. I will use TinWoo from now on.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, thank you so much for your answer! Before I knew it, there was a wall of text and the questions kept coming.

1. I see, that's what I guessed. Since the Switch has a nice standby mode and I play more docked than anything else, I will work with the temporary payload exploit method.

2. Oh, I didn't know there were more CFW than SX OS and Atmosphere, interesting. Would you recommend the RCM feature for a user not that advanced?

3. Thank you. I tried TinWoo Installer and it worked just fine with my XCI game. So I guess I don't need any further patches? And may I ask why one should prefer TinWoo over Tinfoil?

4. I see. Thank you for explaining.

5. I managed to chainload Hekate into Fusee primary because of Tinfoil before. Has this any negative effect? I'm not sure how to reverse that since I've read so many different guides by now and I don't want to mess anything up. In the meantime I managed to implement SX OS as an option under "payloads", which is good enough for me.

6. Okay, I will let the partitioning how it is then.

7. Well, I think I have everything that I need at the moment, there is nothing I really miss. Thank your recommendation, TinWoo works like a charm.

8. I bought a second Switch which I use to play online, so that's nothing I want to do. But I use the updates from the Nintendo game server, which is risky, I know that. SX OS had some kind of "Stealth Mode". Is there anything I can use as well? In case of a ban, I can delete my Emunand and create a new one.. or can Nintendo ban my "whole" Switch?

9. That sounds indeed annoying. I will delete it, thank you for the advice.

10. Yes, you are right. I will use TinWoo from now on.
Some of your points don't have a question appended to them so I will answer them in sequence if there is a question
  • AutoRCM is a very useful feature that can save you wear and tear on your Joy-Con rail. The only thing to be mindful of is that the console cannot be powered on without sending a payload so if you travel a lot and do not have a convenient way of sending payloads, then AutoRCM may not be ideal
  • No, the thread I linked you has the patches you need. Although I forgot to mention that the patches need to be updated every time there is a firmware or CFW update so in the event you update one or both, consult that thread again. And I prefer TinWoo because it has no drama attached to it and is very straightforward in terms of usage
  • That is fine, Hekate is the best when it comes to chainloading. The only time that chainloading may not be effective is as I mentioned with the SX OS menu
  • Well if you already went online after using CFW or homebrew, then Nintendo has already flagged you and there is not much else you can do but cross your fingers that you do not get banned. Stealth Mode doesn't necessarily prevent bans because it achieves the same effect as using Airplane Mode or not having Wi-Fi Settings; it is a self-imposed ban that still exposes you to the risk of getting banned once you disable it. And if you do get banned, Nintendo bans the console itself by blacklisting the console unique certificate that is embedded into the hardware. emuMMC is just a copy of the console in the form of some files so it shares the same certificate as the console itself and ineffective at evading bans once the console is already banned

Reactions: Bimmel

Bimmel

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Some of your points don't have a question appended to them so I will answer them in sequence if there is a question
  • AutoRCM is a very useful feature that can save you wear and tear on your Joy-Con rail. The only thing to be mindful of is that the console cannot be powered on without sending a payload so if you travel a lot and do not have a convenient way of sending payloads, then AutoRCM may not be ideal
  • No, the thread I linked you has the patches you need. Although I forgot to mention that the patches need to be updated every time there is a firmware or CFW update so in the event you update one or both, consult that thread again. And I prefer TinWoo because it has no drama attached to it and is very straightforward in terms of usage
  • That is fine, Hekate is the best when it comes to chainloading. The only time that chainloading may not be effective is as I mentioned with the SX OS menu
  • Well if you already went online after using CFW or homebrew, then Nintendo has already flagged you and there is not much else you can do but cross your fingers that you do not get banned. Stealth Mode doesn't necessarily prevent bans because it achieves the same effect as using Airplane Mode or not having Wi-Fi Settings; it is a self-imposed ban that still exposes you to the risk of getting banned once you disable it. And if you do get banned, Nintendo bans the console itself by blacklisting the console unique certificate that is embedded into the hardware. emuMMC is just a copy of the console in the form of some files so it shares the same certificate as the console itself and ineffective at evading bans once the console is already banned
TinWoo is really very easy to use. I even got installing through USB working in a short amount of time.

I see, so it doesn't matter if I create a new Emunand. I guess I will stay in Airplane mode as long as I don't really need anything.

Thank you again for answering all my questions, I see a lot clearer now! Have a great day my friend and please let me know if I can do anything in return.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Himaleficent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a switch with the xjw serial. I know it's patched. But when. I use switchbru I get a message " this console is vulnerable to the fusee gelsee exploit" any thoughts

sha652

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello there! Today I was wondering how I could maybe Mod my Switch. You see, I have the new Model, and don't wanna "waste"
$300 on a sus guy's switch from EBay... So I searched and searched for ModChips.... I've reattend a lot of Reddit threads and stuff like that, without success. I wasn't able to find any guide on how to install / even BUY one of these. Searched EVERYWHERE except maybe you know where i can find one. Thx for every answer i get :) im a noob :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there! Today I was wondering how I could maybe Mod my Switch. You see, I have the new Model, and don't wanna "waste"
$300 on a sus guy's switch from EBay... So I searched and searched for ModChips.... I've reattend a lot of Reddit threads and stuff like that, without success. I wasn't able to find any guide on how to install / even BUY one of these. Searched EVERYWHERE except maybe you know where i can find one. Thx for every answer i get :) im a noob :)
You are honestly going to have more luck with that "sus guy's Switch from eBay" than finding a modchip and that is assuming you have the skills to solder one. If you can't solder it yourself, you're going to have an even harder time finding someone to install that modchip for you as Nintendo has been sending both modders and resellers of modchips C&D letters effectively freezing the modchip market.

sha652

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You are honestly going to have more luck with that "sus guy's Switch from eBay" than finding a modchip and that is assuming you have the skills to solder one. If you can't solder it yourself, you're going to have an even harder time finding someone to install that modchip for you as Nintendo has been sending both modders and resellers of modchips C&D letters effectively freezing the modchip market.
Oh.. Okay Thank you for the Quick answer tho!

Oh.. Okay Thank you for the Quick answer tho!
Wait actually if it's just the Mainboard / Motherboard however u like to call it, wouldn't I just be able to switch the Motherboard with an old one / non Mariko one? If yes where do I buy this? Or is it even anywhere in stock?

Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait actually if it's just the Mainboard / Motherboard however u like to call it, wouldn't I just be able to switch the Motherboard with an old one / non Mariko one? If yes where do I buy this? Or is it even anywhere in stock?
That may work for patched units but unfortunately you cannot do that for Mariko and Erista consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1