Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using SX OS, are there benefits of installing .XCIs as opposed to running them via mounting? I heard the game loads faster but can anyone confirm that?
Installing a .XCI file will take up less space than mounting a .XCI file. The game will also load faster because installing a .XCI file is functionally the same as installing a .NSP file which load faster than .XCI files.

Reactions: Sabregod

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Installing a .XCI file will take up less space than mounting a .XCI file. The game will also load faster because installing a .XCI file is functionally the same as installing a .NSP file which load faster than .XCI files.

How about the pros & cons of installing it on System storage vs microSD storage?

papelone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi there, I am a dad trying to setup my daughter with a switch which has been unused for a while. The Switch is on 5.0.1 and I need it to upgrade it to newer firmware (9.2.0) to let her play animal crossing. I have some knowledge of CFW etc but definitely I am a noob :) it has an rcmx86 installed inside to boot into hekate, then runs latest atmosphere. I have a few questions.
1 Everywhere I see tutorials for upgrading without burning fuses however I fail to understand the need to do that, why should /could I need downgrading one day?
2 what would be the easiest method? my rcmx86 is a bit faulty so I cannot prevent sometimes booting into regular FW. It is clear to me that this means I need to keep both CFW and OFW on same...
Any other advice you can give me, I am a bit lost honestly.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help
PS any necessary detail I probably missed, please ask.

Last edited by papelone,

DavidinCT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a quick one, when I picked up my switch, it has a 64gb MicroSD card, I ordered a 128gb one for the switch.

I am planning to do the CFW on my switch, all files are downloaded and ready to go. Can I do this now, and when my 128gb card comes in can I just copy the files (after format of course) over to the new 128gb SD card then drop in the switch ?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, I am a dad trying to setup my daughter with a switch which has been unused for a while. The Switch is on 5.0.1 and I need it to upgrade it to newer firmware (9.2.0) to let her play animal crossing. I have some knowledge of CFW etc but definitely I am a noob :) it has an rcmx86 installed inside to boot into hekate, then runs latest atmosphere. I have a few questions.
1 Everywhere I see tutorials for upgrading without burning fuses however I fail to understand the need to do that, why should /could I need downgrading one day?
2 what would be the easiest method? my rcmx86 is a bit faulty so I cannot prevent sometimes booting into regular FW. It is clear to me that this means I need to keep both CFW and OFW on same...
Any other advice you can give me, I am a bit lost honestly.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help
PS any necessary detail I probably missed, please ask.
  1. The current exploit is a tethered coldboot. To some people, this is not a problem however others may prefer an untethered coldboot solution which is the holy grail of exploits. While an untethered coldboot has not been discovered for the Switch yet, it may be discovered in the future. The lower the firmware version, the more likely it will be discovered. Updating without burning fuses allows one to downgrade to certain firmware versions in case an untethered coldboot solution is released
  2. Use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX
Here is a quick one, when I picked up my switch, it has a 64gb MicroSD card, I ordered a 128gb one for the switch.

I am planning to do the CFW on my switch, all files are downloaded and ready to go. Can I do this now, and when my 128gb card comes in can I just copy the files (after format of course) over to the new 128gb SD card then drop in the switch ?
Yes you can just copy the files over with no strings attached.

papelone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
  1. The current exploit is a tethered coldboot. To some people, this is not a problem however others may prefer an untethered coldboot solution which is the holy grail of exploits. While an untethered coldboot has not been discovered for the Switch yet, it may be discovered in the future. The lower the firmware version, the more likely it will be discovered. Updating without burning fuses allows one to downgrade to certain firmware versions in case an untethered coldboot solution is released
  2. Use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX
Yes you can just copy the files over with no strings attached.
Thanks a lot for the info!! Just 2 more questions:
Any issue in upgrading straight from 5.0.1 to 9.2 or are there intermediate upgrade I must run?
My SD is formatted in Fat32. I wish I had exFat but don't want to go thru the hassle now of formatting SD etc. Can I keep that or will I be forced to change? Eg is there a fat32 version of FW 9.2.0?
Thanks again

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for the info!! Just 2 more questions:
Any issue in upgrading straight from 5.0.1 to 9.2 or are there intermediate upgrade I must run?
My SD is formatted in Fat32. I wish I had exFat but don't want to go thru the hassle now of formatting SD etc. Can I keep that or will I be forced to change? Eg is there a fat32 version of FW 9.2.0?
Thanks again
  1. I see your question with another question. When the firmware is updated normally, do you update through each firmware in between or reach the latest firmware immediately? Do not overthink your answer
  2. While exFAT support is nice to have, it is not necessary. The console will also always support FAT32 regardless of firmware.

jumpingspoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got my switch to boot into Atmosphere using a RCM loader however when i hold down the R and click on ablums nothing happens? Do I need to install the homebrew app store? if so then how?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got my switch to boot into Atmosphere using a RCM loader however when i hold down the R and click on ablums nothing happens? Do I need to install the homebrew app store? if so then how?
The homebrew menu opens by default when you click on the Album. Holding R when launching the Album launches you into the Album.

Reactions: jumpingspoon

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok im stoned so bare with me...

I have a original switch pre june 2018 or whatever. I made my own paper clip and installed atmosphere. The switch was on 8.1 fw when i bought it used, and have been running in on emummc ever since. I have a 128gb sd card in it now, i bought 2 more 128 gb cards id like to be able to just swap instead of deteting and installing new games with gold leaf. I am a video game qa tester worked on borderlands 3 and never even played bl1 bl2 or the presequel i just told 2kgames i have a little bit. Lol. So now i wanna go balls deep into them all and with any mods possible.

Can someone tell me, can i just leave the 8.1 emummc on the card i have now, clone it to my new cards then update the emummc and keep 8.1 system firmware ? Or is there no reason to stay on low firmware and just update the system fw, the emu fw then clone the card except the games and install new games that required higher fws? Om from the psp ps2 ps3 and ps4 scene where it used to be always best to keep fw lowest possible.

Simple707

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean you moved files from SD card to emuNAND, it shouldn't *if* you never connect it to the internet. Or if you use Incognito, which reduces the chance of ban by a lot.

(Any activity on your emuNAND COULD get you banned if you're caught. The most safe thing to do is: 1) To not connect to the internet or 2) Use Incognito.)

But who knows, anything you do with CFW and stuff has no 100% (at least as of now) guarantee that you will be without a ban.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: Lightyose

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok im stoned so bare with me...

I have a original switch pre june 2018 or whatever. I made my own paper clip and installed atmosphere. The switch was on 8.1 fw when i bought it used, and have been running in on emummc ever since. I have a 128gb sd card in it now, i bought 2 more 128 gb cards id like to be able to just swap instead of deteting and installing new games with gold leaf. I am a video game qa tester worked on borderlands 3 and never even played bl1 bl2 or the presequel i just told 2kgames i have a little bit. Lol. So now i wanna go balls deep into them all and with any mods possible.

Can someone tell me, can i just leave the 8.1 emummc on the card i have now, clone it to my new cards then update the emummc and keep 8.1 system firmware ? Or is there no reason to stay on low firmware and just update the system fw, the emu fw then clone the card except the games and install new games that required higher fws? Om from the psp ps2 ps3 and ps4 scene where it used to be always best to keep fw lowest possible.
Unless you use online play with legitimately purchased Switch games on your system eMMC, you probably don't need to be using an emuMMC.

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you use online play with legitimately purchased Switch games on your system eMMC, you probably don't need to be using an emuMMC.
I dont play online but i prefer to stay running emummc to be future proof incase a unteatherd coldboot is found for older fws

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont play online but i prefer to stay running emummc to be future proof incase a unteatherd coldboot is found for older fws
What is your fuse count? If it's over 4, that's highly unlikely to happen without a hardware modification.

You can also preserve your fuse count without an emuMMC if you have and keep AutoRCM installed.

DOTmjo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to recreate the emuNAND partition and transfer your emuNAND over, yes.

If you don't use online play with legitimately purchased games, there isn't any reason to use an emuNAND.

Ok so let's say that I want to abandon using an emuNAND on my new SD, how do I go about doing that? I'm not having any luck with getting my switch to boot with my new sd card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1