Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone had an issue to update MARIO KART?
I have the latest version update 1.7.1. But on the switch it says 1.6.0. I tried to install another 1.71 update but it says that its already on the switch...? The game asks to update when i boot but i can just skip it by selecting start software

So not killing me but annoying.
If you are trying to install it via Goldleaf, it will not work because Goldleaf can only install updates after the old one has been removed. Use a better title installer such as Adubbz Tinfoil. If your firmware is 7.0 or higher, you can only use either USB or network install with Adubbz Tinfoil. If you need a download link for it, you can find one here.

Ok guys so I want to be able to play my bought games online (Like Smash, MK8, etc) and still play backups offline.
I located my clean NAND back up and I was wondering if installing EmuMMC and having my offline games in there would work and then using regular sysnand for online games would work?

Do i need to inject my clean nand into the switch again and then install EmuMMC?

Do you guys think it will work?
You should restore the clean NAND after setting up emuMMC. emuMMC is just a copy of sysMMC. If you restore the clean NAND backup before installing emuMMC, then your emuMMC will not carry over the save data from sysMMC.

Been awhile since I've posted anything on this site. Hopefully I'm in the right place!

So I've been doing some research here and there, It's a ton of info to wrap my brain around but I'm getting there. I imagine it's still worth asking some things.

I'm only interested in backing up my saves and nothing else. Maybe way down the line I may consider save editing but I'm under the impression it's risky so yeah, a type of very late game hacking for me.

I'm aware hacking in general can be risky ban wise and I want to do anything to make sure I can stay unbanned to play online.

I've checked out my Switch and according to the serial and such mine is definitely unpatched. I remember getting it sometime in August 2017 if that matters.

So if I've got this right all I have to do is get Atmosphere or SXOS and Hetake. Backup my clean system NAND, get and run Checkpoint to backup my saves and then restore my NAND? Should I use an emunand? Gosh I'm in way over my head. This seems a lot more complex than Wii and 3DS hacking.

Thankfully I probably won't actually start hacking my Switch for this until sometime next year. Maybe by then I'll have a better idea of how all this works or it'll be much easier haha. Oh and uh this is assuming Nintendo can't get it together to support Cloud saves for the upcoming Animal Crossing game.

Just... Trying to explore my options and find some peace of mind. Sad it's come to this but what can you do?

Also I dunno if it's okay to ask this here but what's the best jig that won't break my pins? I definitely don't wanna do that. I don't mind buying one specially made in order to keep my system nice.
emuMMC is primarily a way for users to be on a higher firmware without updating the firmware of their console. Its alternative uses include being a brick shield for your console as well as a ban shield by separating CFW and homebrew from legitimate online play. Currently, only SX OS and Atmosphere support emuMMC. Atmosphere's implementation is a bit unstable and while SX OS features a currently better version of emuMMC, it is locked behind a paywall which makes it worthless especially since Atmosphere's implementation will improve over time and eventually supersede the implementation in SX OS. Bear in the mind the main drawback to using emuMMC is that it requires 32 GB of free space on your SD card since that is how big the eMMC is on your console. If you do not wish to use emuMMC, then your only option towards preventing a ban is by making a clean NAND backup before using CFW/homebrew, staying offline with all CFW/homebrew, then restoring that clean NAND dump before going online.

As for jigs, I personally used a paperclip myself but I do not recommend using it forever. What I do recommend is after using anything like a jig to enter RCM the first time is to enable AutoRCM so you never have to use a jig again. Bear in mind this mimics a brick because the console automatically and only boots into RCM; meaning you can only use the console by sending a payload. Otherwise, buy a jig from eBay from a reseller who has a high rating to ensure better jig quality although the chances of a jig permanently damaging your system is very low.
Unfortunately I have to ask again.

I have a clean SYSNAND with firmware 8.1.0, own about 25 games on cartridge and have updated them all over Wifi on my original sysnand and sd card.

Then I created an EMUNAND with SX OS 2.8 and booted it. I copied my Nintendo folder over the Emutendo folder in order to keep my save games and updates that where installed on the SD card on the original SYSNAND. I then installed SX Dumper and started dumping my cartridges.
Half of the games allow me to dump the update, half of them don't. Why?

Those games where I was able to dump the update run flawlessly. Those games, where I wasn't, won't start because they require me to install an update over Wifi, which is of course turned off.

How do I get around that? How do I dump the updates of the other games?
Is your SD card formatted as exFAT? If yes, then its possible your SD card became corrupted sometime after installing the updates which is preventing you from dumping them because the update files were corrupted. Another possibility is that your SD card is fake. If you haven't tested your SD card yet, use a program such as h2testw or FakeFlashTest to check the integrity of your SD card. Last but not least, you can try updating the games again in SysNAND and copying the Nintendo folder to the Emutendo folder.
I am running Atmosphere on a switch version 8.0.0. Is there anyway I can update my switch firmware to the latest without going online and getting it from the official prompt? I have no way to go back to my original switch back ups before I started CFW as my computer HD went down where it was backed up to.
Use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX.

hi there , quick question, i am currently on 6.1 switch firmware, not used my switch in a while , i use sx os pro, the last time i updated from 4.0 to 6.1 , from what i remembered , i was told to uninstall auto rcm , then i updated the switch , and reinstalled auto rcm , which all worked fine , so to update to 8.1 do i use the same method or is it different any help would be great, i do not want to go down the emunand way many thx.

Thanks for your info yes I have used ChoiDujourNX before. Is there any steps I should take before updating? Nand back up? I done one before any CFW. Also was I’m not sure about is my games file will work ok After the update? And game saves?
I run lower OFW and CFW 6.2 with no AutoRCM. Wats the latest best functionality version I prob use that?
I mean system updates do not normally break games or saves right? Otherwise legitimate console owners would be complaining a lot. As for firmware, I recommend any 8.X firmware as 7.X has a nasty USB bug. Maybe 8.0 or 8.0.1, but not 8.1 as there is no reason to be on the latest firmware since not everything may be updated to support it.

Reactions: Mixitrion

Mixitrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should restore the clean NAND after setting up emuMMC. emuMMC is just a copy of sysMMC. If you restore the clean NAND backup before installing emuMMC, then your emuMMC will not carry over the save data from sysMMC

Thank you for your answer!

Alrighty so I will create the emuMMC, THEN restore the clean backup to my sysMMC, and I should be able to play online on my sysMMC and play all my backups in emuMMC, right?

Also, what is the best guide for restoring my clean NAND backup?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that could be the issue. If there wasn’t enough space, would it still “install” the nsp and the game icon show up on the main menu?

7.0.1 is buggy with usb install, try goldleaf 0.3 if you are using 0.5, beside that I would suggest doing the install the old fashion way through putting the files on the micro sd, but long term wise not recommended as continuity of removing and inserting back the sd card can damaged the slot, worse case is that you can update to 8.0.1 via choidujourNX, just note that some games might need to be reinstalled.

ReannaN

Trophies
XP
Country
7.0.1 is buggy with usb install, try goldleaf 0.3 if you are using 0.5, beside that I would suggest doing the install the old fashion way through putting the files on the micro sd, but long term wise not recommended as continuity of removing and inserting back the sd card can damaged the slot, worse case is that you can update to 8.0.1 via choidujourNX, just note that some games might need to be reinstalled.
Ok thank you! I will try all of tour suggestions! With installing from sd card, how do I do this? Put the nsp onto the sd and use goldleaf to install or? Can I put numerous nsps on and install one after the other?

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SXOS user here, just got around to updating my emuNAND to 8.1.0 using SXOS 2.8 beta and everything is working perfectly.
SysNAND still on 6.0.1 and emuNAND on 8.1.0.

I updated SXOS to 2.8 by swapping the boot.dat file and then followed the same method I posted here a while ago, except I used the 8.1.0 firmware files instead of the 6.2.0 I used back then.

Hopefully it helps someone.

Last edited by DoobyDude,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Forgot to mention that installing .NSP files from the SD card with Tinfoil on firmware versions 7.0 or higher will not work. Use either USB or network install with Adubbz Tinfoil if your firmware version is at least 7.0
erm what? I'm on 8.0 and I can install NSPs just fine from the SD.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thank you! I will try all of tour suggestions! With installing from sd card, how do I do this? Put the nsp onto the sd and use goldleaf to install or? Can I put numerous nsps on and install one after the other?

yea you can do that, you can use goldleaf to install them from the sd, do note that 7.0.1 usb install is buggy as previously stated.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your answer!

Alrighty so I will create the emuMMC, THEN restore the clean backup to my sysMMC, and I should be able to play online on my sysMMC and play all my backups in emuMMC, right?

Also, what is the best guide for restoring my clean NAND backup?
Yes.

For restoring your NAND, just drop your BOOT0/BOOT1 as well as your eMMC raw GPP (rawnand.bin) or eMMC SYS into the backup/(eMMC serial number)/restore folder then use the Restore function in Hekate.
erm what? I'm on 8.0 and I can install NSPs just fine from the SD.
I was referring to Adubbz Tinfoil, not DZ/fakefoil made by vertigo.

ReannaN

Trophies
XP
Country
yea you can do that, you can use goldleaf to install them from the sd, do note that 7.0.1 usb install is buggy as previously stated.
Thanks, is there any benefit in staying on 7.01. Should I just update to 8.x using Choi if it means the usb install isn’t buggy anymore?

Zap2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are trying to install it via Goldleaf, it will not work because Goldleaf can only install updates after the old one has been removed. Use a better title installer such as Adubbz Tinfoil. If your firmware is 7.0 or higher, you can only use either USB or network install with Adubbz Tinfoil. If you need a download link for it, you can find one here.

You should restore the clean NAND after setting up emuMMC. emuMMC is just a copy of sysMMC. If you restore the clean NAND backup before installing emuMMC, then your emuMMC will not carry over the save data from sysMMC.

emuMMC is primarily a way for users to be on a higher firmware without updating the firmware of their console. Its alternative uses include being a brick shield for your console as well as a ban shield by separating CFW and homebrew from legitimate online play. Currently, only SX OS and Atmosphere support emuMMC. Atmosphere's implementation is a bit unstable and while SX OS features a currently better version of emuMMC, it is locked behind a paywall which makes it worthless especially since Atmosphere's implementation will improve over time and eventually supersede the implementation in SX OS. Bear in the mind the main drawback to using emuMMC is that it requires 32 GB of free space on your SD card since that is how big the eMMC is on your console. If you do not wish to use emuMMC, then your only option towards preventing a ban is by making a clean NAND backup before using CFW/homebrew, staying offline with all CFW/homebrew, then restoring that clean NAND dump before going online.

As for jigs, I personally used a paperclip myself but I do not recommend using it forever. What I do recommend is after using anything like a jig to enter RCM the first time is to enable AutoRCM so you never have to use a jig again. Bear in mind this mimics a brick because the console automatically and only boots into RCM; meaning you can only use the console by sending a payload. Otherwise, buy a jig from eBay from a reseller who has a high rating to ensure better jig quality although the chances of a jig permanently damaging your system is very low.
Is your SD card formatted as exFAT? If yes, then its possible your SD card became corrupted sometime after installing the updates which is preventing you from dumping them because the update files were corrupted. Another possibility is that your SD card is fake. If you haven't tested your SD card yet, use a program such as h2testw or FakeFlashTest to check the integrity of your SD card. Last but not least, you can try updating the games again in SysNAND and copying the Nintendo folder to the Emutendo folder.

I mean system updates do not normally break games or saves right? Otherwise legitimate console owners would be complaining a lot. As for firmware, I recommend any 8.X firmware as 7.X has a nasty USB bug. Maybe 8.0 or 8.0.1, but not 8.1 as there is no reason to be on the latest firmware since not everything may be updated to support it.

Wat version of sx os should I use for 8 or 8.0.1? Is OS v2.8 BETA only for 8.1?

Zap2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SX OS V2.8 adds support for firmware version 8.1. Meaning it works on all firmware versions as well as 8.1.

Ok nps thx for ur help

SX OS V2.8 adds support for firmware version 8.1. Meaning it works on all firmware versions as well as 8.1.

Ok I grab that version then can u check my steps below I think I need to do to see if I’m missing anything
1/ download os v2.8 and put in sd card
2/ download fw 8 files of net and put in sd card
3/ check ChoiDujourNX version and update to lastest before updating
4 / run ChoiDujourNX and update to 8 or 8.0.1

Do I need to set emunand to sd card or hidden partition when updating ? Can’t remember which when I first set up emunand or is that not a step in the update?

Should I make a nand back up before or after update or both I already have one but won’t be updating my OFW?

Last edited by Zap2000,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I grab that version then can u check my steps below I think I need to do to see if I’m missing anything
1/ download os v2.8 and put in sd card
2/ download fw 8 files of net and put in sd card
3/ check ChoiDujourNX version and update to lastest before updating
4 / run ChoiDujourNX and update to 8 or 8.0.1

Do I need to set emunand to sd card or hidden partition when updating ? Can’t remember which when I first set up emunand or is that not a step in the update?

Should I make a nand back up before or after update or both I already have one but won’t be updating my OFW?
If you already have EmuNAND, then you don't need to do anything to it unless you're specifically updating EmuNAND. And it doesn't matter if you update EmuNAND or SysNAND first. You also do not need to make another NAND backup especially if you haven't burned fuses since originally making it. Some may consider it good practice to make a new NAND dump after updating and burning fuses, but it is not absolutely necessary because you can still boot NAND backups on firmware versions lower than the number of fuses currently burnt.

AuRiM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A question... how hekate does not yet support 8.1.0 for payload.

Unless Its work for make a NAND backup(boot1,boot0,rawnand, etc) and NAND restore in OFW 8.1.0 ??

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so heres my two questions: I have Edizon and enjoy using the save editor to unlock things etc. Is there an updated version that allows me to save edit newer games (such as Crash Team Racing etc)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16