Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Yoshitaka

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
How can I view what's inside a nsp, and then go further inside to the game assets?
To be clear, I'm attempting to figure out if the Steam game CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION and the switch version have similar or different assets. With Steam release of the game we have files that are archives that you can open with 7zip for instance and view asset files. However, we still cannot gain access to their closed source emulator that's running Chrono Cross.. I am looking to figure out what's inside the PS4 and Xbox files of the game as well.. But I'm unsure how to do so.. The viewers don't seem to be going deep enough to view asset files inside console files and I'm unsure why.. Total n00b..

hazort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have followed the https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy guide, but I get the fussee version error, but I have copied the 1.6.1 fusee.bin to the payloads folder. I also get a Old Nyx, there will be dragons error, but I can click through that one. What am I doing wrong?
Try following this guide. I personally like this one: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
The only thing it doesn't tell you is about the sigpatches, so after all done just download the new patches and copy/paste them onto your sd card

Reactions: Blythe93

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have followed the https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy guide, but I get the fussee version error, but I have copied the 1.6.1 fusee.bin to the payloads folder. I also get a Old Nyx, there will be dragons error, but I can click through that one. What am I doing wrong?
The "there will be dragons" error is just telling you that the Hekate payload you just pushed is more recent than the Hekate installation on your SD card. Solution is to update your SD card with the new version of Hekate. Possibly the same situation with the fusée payload. The payloads versions need to match the installation versions on the SD card. But in the case of Hekate, you can use an older payload to push, since it checks if a newer version is on the SD card and will use it if detected.

Karoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Try following this guide. I personally like this one: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
The only thing it doesn't tell you is about the sigpatches, so after all done just download the new patches and copy/paste them onto your sd card
Thanks will do, I thought I had done that, maybe I missed a step haha.
Post automatically merged:

The "there will be dragons" error is just telling you that the Hekate payload you just pushed is more recent than the Hekate installation on your SD card. Solution is to update your SD card with the new version of Hekate. Possibly the same situation with the fusée payload. The payloads versions need to match the installation versions on the SD card. But in the case of Hekate, you can use an older payload to push, since it checks if a newer version is on the SD card and will use it if detected.
Thanks, I will look into this.

desgrassia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,

I have been digging more and more in the past two days, and now I believe that the best way to proceed would be to just start from a clean slate and then redo my SDcard, enabling emuMMC from start and proceeding from there.

At the moment the Switch runs the old ReiNX CFW with Switch OS 5.1.0 on sysNAND. But it was updated with ChoiDujourNX at the time, and I also installed AutoRCM immediately, so it should even be downgradable to the OS it came with in the box. It is still in Airplane mode with no wi-fi configured, I believe it never went online.

Am I right in thinking that the safest way would be to rollback by restoring the full NAND backup I made before the first hack and then start from there?

The crucial questions now are:

1. can you point me to the best way to restore the NAND backup? I believe I made it with ReiNX, if that matters.

(Also: is there a way to do this and maybe keep AutoRCM or re-enable it before rebooting? I don't have a jig and I am afraid to ruin my console trying some method that I actually can't remember :-P to access RCM)

2. should I still keep the sysNAND firmware as low as possible or could I just update it to 16.1.0 (heck, if I wait some more I could probably directly go to 17.0.0)? Is there any advantage in using Daybreak or could I just go the official way and forget about burned fuses and such?

3. my main need is to be able to play backed up games, but it also would be welcome to be able to go online to access eShop and maybe register for Nintendo Online services. This would be a plus, but if I cannot get both I will happily live with an offline Switch. So... would this be achievable in some way? If I understood correctly, I can keep upgrading both sysNAND and emuNAND and using the former for "official" nintendo business and the latter for everything else, but I am really lost here and I need to be reassured that I am not doing anything too wrong here :)

Thank you!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I have been digging more and more in the past two days, and now I believe that the best way to proceed would be to just start from a clean slate and then redo my SDcard, enabling emuMMC from start and proceeding from there.

At the moment the Switch runs the old ReiNX CFW with Switch OS 5.1.0 on sysNAND. But it was updated with ChoiDujourNX at the time, and I also installed AutoRCM immediately, so it should even be downgradable to the OS it came with in the box. It is still in Airplane mode with no wi-fi configured, I believe it never went online.

Am I right in thinking that the safest way would be to rollback by restoring the full NAND backup I made before the first hack and then start from there?

The crucial questions now are:

1. can you point me to the best way to restore the NAND backup? I believe I made it with ReiNX, if that matters.

(Also: is there a way to do this and maybe keep AutoRCM or re-enable it before rebooting? I don't have a jig and I am afraid to ruin my console trying some method that I actually can't remember :-P to access RCM)

2. should I still keep the sysNAND firmware as low as possible or could I just update it to 16.1.0 (heck, if I wait some more I could probably directly go to 17.0.0)? Is there any advantage in using Daybreak or could I just go the official way and forget about burned fuses and such?

3. my main need is to be able to play backed up games, but it also would be welcome to be able to go online to access eShop and maybe register for Nintendo Online services. This would be a plus, but if I cannot get both I will happily live with an offline Switch. So... would this be achievable in some way? If I understood correctly, I can keep upgrading both sysNAND and emuNAND and using the former for "official" nintendo business and the latter for everything else, but I am really lost here and I need to be reassured that I am not doing anything too wrong here :)

Thank you!
By all means, if you have a nand backup that was made before any hacks were installed, and you know how to restore it, do it. Because right now, with ReiNX CFW, the nand is tainted, and if you re-hack from that state and try to go online, it's a sure way to get banned. I'm not sure if you could restore with Hekate if the backup was made with ReiNX, but if you can, you should use that, as it's still very actively developed, as opposed to ReiNX. Once you can confirm that the backup has been restored successfully, follow a good guide. I suggest the rentry one. Make an emunand for your CFW stuff, and keep the sysnand clean, which you could update the official way to play online, if that's your goal. You can't stay on low firmware on sysnand if you want to use Nintendo services like eShop or online play. Also, just thinking about it, if you really don't want to take any chances with the whole process, make a nand backup now before doing anything else, using Hekate. Then proceed to restore the ancient nand backup. Doing it this way, if something goes bad, you could still come back to ReiNX and try something else.

PercuOcto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any type of nsp/xci installation will create fake tickets, that can lead to bans, if done on an online going nand.
One way that works, thats less likely to ban you while going online, that works for some games, is to just extract the dlc files and put them on the sd card, like you would mods for the game though. At least works with the octo expansion, so it might work with other items.
Also keep in mind, the splatoon Halloween gear is not shared via codes, instead its shared via a link in the news, which was done in splatoon 2 for some gear too. This works more or less via starting the game with specific parameters, and could probably also be done via homebrew, or by injecting news.
Oh ok, thanks! I already knew that Splatoon 3 Halloween gear are not codes (3rd example I listed), but I didn't know the rest of what you explained.

I was just asking because I wanted to know how all kind of dlcs work.
Indeed, I missed the 7-Eleven gear in Splatoon 2, and because I have the physical version of Hyrule Warriors:AoC, I didn't get the Lucky Laddle that was the preorder bonus of the digital version. The rest if just out of curiosity.

desgrassia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you @Dust2dust !

Since I already backed up the backup on my PC, I think the first thing I should do is wipe the microSD and do a clean install of current hekate, then make a new backup from there as you mentioned at the end.

After saving that in safe place :) I will try the restore, fingers crossed!

The thing I am worried is that I no longer have the jig I originally used to put the console in RCM mode, so I would probably be safe by ordering another one and waiting for it to come in the mail.

I assume that it would be impossible (or nearly impossible) to try to retain AutoRCM in any way after running an official Nintendo update from the restored SysNAND, is that a correct assumption?

Also, since the only official update now is 17.0.0 and there might be a little more to wait in order to have all the stable updated tools and cfw, I might just go with that and start using it online (this way I would also know for sure if I did anything accidentally that might have banned the console in the past) and then re-hack it after I got the new jig. What do you think?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@desgrassia

Not entirely sure what disables autoRCM as far as installing updates are concerned, as I never used it myself. I have a modded right joycon, which I use to get back to RCM when needed. But anyway, having a jig available is always a safety net, in case you lose autoRCM and have to reboot. If you have (or plan to get) a payload injector such as RCM Loader One, they also come with a factory made jig. If you're itching to use the Switch online and access Nintendo services, you can go ahead and update, after restoring your old nand backup of course. Atmosphere and Hekate both support 17.0, so you shouldn't have any issue creating your emunand for CFW after you get your jig.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No cheats or sysmodules enabled.
Alright what was the last thing you remember doing before this issue started happening?
So, I finally managed to put my hands back on that Switch console, and I am trying to recollect everything before making any mistakes here :)

It still has AutoRCM installed, and I believe it is a good thing in order not to accidentally upgrade OFW on it. Since I do not remember very much and I do not know what changed in time, the first question is: can I boot to OFW from Hekate to check its current status without any risks (i.e. burning fuses, etc.)

The second question is: should I just wipe the sd card and start "from scratch", putting in it all the latest releases (hekate, atmosphere, etc.)? Many releases happened during this time and I am not sure if keeping old config files would create problems.

Third question: what is today's best way to update firmware inside CFW? Also, I probably will not want to go to the current 17.0 but just upgrade to 16.1.0, can you point me to the safest way to do so?

I still have to find an adapter to read the microSD now, so I while I am waiting I am trying to collect most informations. In the meantime I have been able to check that the console is indeed working, tried booting into Hekate using my android phone but probably the files in the sd card are so old that I only get a basic text-mode menu and I get errors about missing bootloader config files etc. This also adds to my doubts about keeping any files in it or just trying to reset it the most that I can

Also, I have been thinking... I used to be convinced that keeping low firmware and/or burned fuses in order to be able to downgrade would have been useful for something "in the future" that I think never came. So, the real question now is: should I just forget about "caution" and just go for the latest firmware in order to be able to go online and use Nintendo servers, eshop, multiplayer etc. with OFW, and keep CFW for homebrew / emulators / running backup games (everything offline)?

What could go (if anything) wrong with this scenario?

- edit - I added a screenshot of the root folder of the microSD, as you can see very old stuff
  1. Yes, you can boot OFW through Hekate to check its current status. You would be using Stock mode in this case
  2. If there aren't any important mods, cheats, homebrew, sysmodules, etc. that you setup and don't mind losing, then I suppose you can start from scratch. Some old files can cause issues if they aren't updated to their latest version
  3. Daybreak is the premier homebrew app to update the firmware while running CFW. It comes bundled with Atmosphere so you should have it by default. If you wish to update to firmware 16.1, you would simply download the firmware files for 16.1 instead of 17.0
  4. Well the Switch is still receiving updates from both Nintendo and hackers so the "future" you envisioned might still be some ways off. For example, once a successor from the Switch comes out and is determined to be at its EoL, hackers tend to release things that they have no fear of being patched out since the Switch would no longer be receiving updates in that case. At any rate, there is no advantage in burning the fuses and you can easily enjoy being on the latest firmware and going online without burning the fuses. My console is an example of that.
Hey, a simple question.

The basics: Hekate 6.0.6, emuMMC HOS 16.1.0, Atmosphere 1.5.5

I am using a partition based emuMMC primarily, where i install all of my cartridge backups and such. I was a little short-sighted and only used a 256GB card. I would like to transfer everything over to a 512GB or 1TB SD card, ideally while keeping all of my contents and what is installed. it would pain me to have to re-dump every card and re-install it (and get the updates / DLCs again which is a major pain for me), so I would like to know if the following method avoids this:

Do I just follow this guide (the part that reads "If you are using a partition based emummc"). Will this keep all of my SD card installs? As far as I understand it, the installs done on SD are not visible or exposed when I insert the SD card into the computer, so copying all the stuff that is accessible on the regular partition will just be homebrew / switch related, but not the games, right? If I am wrong about this assumption, where do the games reside on the accessible partition?

Is there anything else I need to consider before upgrading my SD card? I already have a nice 1TB Lexar MicroSDXC UHS-I card picked out which i only have positive things to say about as a photographer.
You can just follow that guide. The games however depend where exactly you installed them. If you installed them to internal memory when in emuMMC, then yes, they are not visible or exposed as they would be installed to the partition. But if you installed them to the Nintendo folder, then they are stored in the Nintendo folder which is readily accessible. Outside of that, there are no other considerations when changing SD cards.
How can I view what's inside a nsp, and then go further inside to the game assets?
To be clear, I'm attempting to figure out if the Steam game CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION and the switch version have similar or different assets. With Steam release of the game we have files that are archives that you can open with 7zip for instance and view asset files. However, we still cannot gain access to their closed source emulator that's running Chrono Cross.. I am looking to figure out what's inside the PS4 and Xbox files of the game as well.. But I'm unsure how to do so.. The viewers don't seem to be going deep enough to view asset files inside console files and I'm unsure why.. Total n00b..
You would have to use hactool to decrypt the .NSP file.
Hey guys can someone tell me how to get the build number for games on yuzu.
You can use the cheats menu of EdiZon to display the Build ID of any game,

desgrassia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
At any rate, there is no advantage in burning the fuses and you can easily enjoy being on the latest firmware and going online without burning the fuses. My console is an example of that.

Okay, so how do I accomplish that result?

I take from @Dust2dust answer that the best choice to avoid banning would be to start from a "clean" Switch, so I would begin by restoring my backup with Hekate.

After that, could I just stay into Hekate, re-apply AutoRCM, and finally upgrade sysNAND to 16.1.0 with Daybreak and then proceed with emuMMC creation process?

RottenHeart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright what was the last thing you remember doing before this issue started happening?
I think it was when I powered off for the first time, I dont remeber exactly why I powered off instead of putting on sleep mode, but when it turned on again it was when I believe the problems started.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can just follow that guide. The games however depend where exactly you installed them. If you installed them to internal memory when in emuMMC, then yes, they are not visible or exposed as they would be installed to the partition. But if you installed them to the Nintendo folder, then they are stored in the Nintendo folder which is readily accessible. Outside of that, there are no other considerations when changing SD cards.

Basically I use the "5: SD Card Install" option when using DBI to install everything while running emuMMC. If it is really that simple I'm going to go ahead (backing up the emuMMC, partitioning the new card, copying over all the files exposed on the SD card, and then restoring my emuMMC backup on the new card). I suppose if I screw things up I can always insert my old SD card and try again.

jabz10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi I have an OLED switch which I swapped the mainboard over to a mainboard I purchased that has a HWFly instinct V6 pre installed.

I have a few questions on the usage of EmuNAND.
I have partitioned my sdcard and created the 58Gig EmuMMC.

When I install games do they get installed into the EmuMMC partition? If so what happens when it fills up?

Can I install games to the SD outside of EmuMMC so it doesn’t get filled up? But still use them when booted into EmuNand?

Same for roms for emulators and ScummVM can they be stored on the SDcard in a rom folder outside of EmuMMC and used within EmuNand?

Also these files stored outside of EmuNand will not interfere with Games and files on SDcard that are part of OFW?

Thanks

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
When I install games do they get installed into the EmuMMC partition? If so what happens when it fills up?

Can I install games to the SD outside of EmuMMC so it doesn’t get filled up? But still use them when booted into EmuNand?
When you create an emuMMC, your SD card gets a hidden partition which is your emuMMC (which is a copy of your sysMMC) plus a visible partition which acts as an SD card storage, minus the size taken up by the emuMMC. If you boot into emuMMC and install games there, both internal and external storage are actually filling up your real SD card storage. So, yeah, provided you have some space left on your SD card, you can install games to the SD card, just pick SD card when prompted where to install the game.
Same for roms for emulators and ScummVM can they be stored on the SDcard in a rom folder outside of EmuMMC and used within EmuNand?
I'm not sure about ScummVM and how it's install on the Switch, but if you're just booting into emuMMC, everything else you'd like to access to should be on SD card.
Also these files stored outside of EmuNand will not interfere with Games and files on SDcard that are part of OFW?
As far as I know, they probably won't, but I haven't used OFW much at all. I guess that everything OFW related is stored in Nintendo folder, but I could be wrong.

xchgre

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
hello, some time ago I used XCI-Explorer, to see info of the games before installing, to see if it was modified or something similar, is there any tool for .nsp files?

PS> It seems that I had some invalid nsp, because with the dumped prod.keys does not recognize them, will be safe to install?

Last edited by xchgre,

jabz10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
When you create an emuMMC, your SD card gets a hidden partition which is your emuMMC (which is a copy of your sysMMC) plus a visible partition which acts as an SD card storage, minus the size taken up by the emuMMC. If you boot into emuMMC and install games there, both internal and external storage are actually filling up your real SD card storage. So, yeah, provided you have some space left on your SD card, you can install games to the SD card, just pick SD card when prompted where to install the game.

I'm not sure about ScummVM and how it's install on the Switch, but if you're just booting into emuMMC, everything else you'd like to access to should be on SD card.

As far as I know, they probably won't, but I haven't used OFW much at all. I guess that everything OFW related is stored in Nintendo folder, but I could be wrong.

Ok thanks, however if I remove the SD and mount on my PC to transfer ROMs to the SDCard, can I just place them into a folder on the root of the SDcard? Or do I have to transfer the roms while emuMMC is booted?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1