SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. NoddyRams

NoddyRams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2017
    Chesterfield, UK
    Hi, sorry noob and information hore here so lots of questions I'm afraid.

I'm running SX OS 2.8 with emunand active and stealth mode on, plus I've setup the 90dns settings also. Just a note I purchased this switch so didn't do the modding my self which is why I'm trying to fill in the gaps.

So here goes with my questions so far:
    1. How do I update the switch main firmware if 90dns is blocking all connections to Nintendo?
    2. What is stealth actually doing on SX OS?
    3. I keep reading about a clean emunand, what is this and how do I know if mine is clean?
    4. Whenever I try and open most games I get a message that says download update or run software...if i click update it just fails to connect, but my switch is online as it passes the main settings internet test.
    5. Is this update for the actual switch or each game I click?
    6. If it is for games can I update them and if so how?
    7. At times I get a login to online and an option to click my user icon, but when ever I do I get a cannot connect error? Is this to do with stealth or 90dns?
    8. Is playing online a total NO? Mainly for Mario kart and FIFA?
    Thanks in advance, and sorry if all this is covered elsewhere there is just that much and ever changing info hard to find exact answers.

NoNAND likes this.
  2. CoolAlpha

CoolAlpha GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    Hello,
    How to remove the system update on 7.0.1 cfw?

3. jetskiii

jetskiii Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    Romania
    Does marvel black order 3 work on 7.0.0 ? That's the current version I have and I'm not sure if I need to update or there is a bug. I installed the game and the icon was infinitely loading and there was no title. When I tried to launch it it said Couldn't launch software. How can I play the game, do I need to just update my version or do I need to download the game from another site and it might work ?

4. rolfdafiftynine

rolfdafiftynine Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2019
    Germany
    Hey guys,

i just bought a used hackable switch so I need all tools to get it working asap. It's so hard to dig through all the information so maybe you can just help me out here quickly.

Why does the guy in the restore / backup guide always mention a 32 GB MicroSD card? Is a 64 GB not working here?

5. Tornelico

Tornelico Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    Indonesia
    Hello, I'm really new to hacking switch. I'm following this guide switch.homebrew.guide/hacking/nereba/pegascape and I'm at step 2 option B: injecting fake news (atmosphere via rcm).
    when I press launch on hekate there is CFW sysnand, CFW emunand, Stock sysnand and stock emunand.
    where to inject the fake news? and Should I backup NAND and BiS key before injecting fake news?

6. Baoh

Baoh Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2019
    Italy
    Hi guys, there are 9 page of Tutorial, but I can't find what I must do, I have a Nintendo Switch and I want to Mod it, I have FW 8.1.0 and I read about Atmosphère V0.9.1, but I can't find a Tutorial step by step to install it, have you got IT pls?
    I have bought the RCM tool and 2 Micro SD 1 64 GB (Kingston SDCS/64GB Canvas Select Scheda MicroSD 64 GB, UHS-I ) for the NAND Bakup and one 128GB (Samsung MB-ME128GA/EU EVO) for the game. I hoper they are good on Nitendo switch. Tx for the help :)

7. geecat

geecat Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2019
    United States
    I'm also a noob but can answer some of these:

How do I update the switch main firmware if 90dns is blocking all connections to Nintendo?
    ChoixDujourNX applies patches offline.

What is stealth actually doing on SX OS?

I could be mistaken but I don't think SX OS is supported here.

I keep reading about a clean emunand, what is this and how do I know if mine is clean?

As I understand it, "clean emunand" implies booting into RCM and then running OFW from a copy of a clean SysNAND/SysMMC — stock, but run from a redirected system partition stored on the SD card rather than the internal EMMC, the same way EmuNAND/EmuMMC works.

Whenever I try and open most games I get a message that says download update or run software...if i click update it just fails to connect, but my switch is online as it passes the main settings internet test.

This sounds like 90DNS is doing what it is supposed to be doing?

Is this update for the actual switch or each game I click?

The games.
    If it is for games can I update them and if so how?
    You have to obtain the update NSPs and put them in the appropriate places.

At times I get a login to online and an option to click my user icon, but when ever I do I get a cannot connect error? Is this to do with stealth or 90dns?
    Yes. They are keeping you from being detected going online with CFW.

Is playing online a total NO? Mainly for Mario kart and FIFA?

Playing online with CFW is begging for a ban. The whole point of 90DNS is to prevent you from being able to reach Nintendo's servers. The way to play online is to keep your SysNAND clean and updated (avoiding burning fuses by booting via RCM only, if it matters to you) and only playing online when that updated official firmware on your clean SysNAND.

Best to keep a separate SD card for use with the official firmware and internal EMMC as well, with no traces of CFW on it. Although unless you accept burned fuses, it will have traces of the bootloader on it (at least, the version of Hekate I'm using leaves traces, perhaps others can run entirely from a payload and don't) as to avoid burning fuses you can't ever let the normal Nintendo bootloader run again after updating the internal firmware.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'd suggest using sdsetup.com to prepare the contents of the SD card for you. Worked for me.

You want to use CFW Emunand -- custom firmware, run from EmuNAND. I really don't know why they've made CFW Sysnand the first option, it's begging for trouble.

More than 32GB will work in terms of size alone, less than 32GB will not because that's the size of the Switch's internal storage.

There are complications with cards larger than 32GB because they will come formatted in ExFAT instead of FAT32. The Switch needs to be at a certain update level to handle ExFAT. You can format a larger card to be FAT32 yourself so the problem — really more of an inconvenience, the tools handle it — is that if you can only use FAT32 then it splits files larger than a few GB. Some people prefer to stick with FAT32 no matter what bc ExFAT is believed to be prone to corruption running homebrew, but that doesn't really apply to backing up from RCM as I understand it.

Last edited by geecat, Jul 21, 2019
    Tornelico likes this.
  8. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    I just made a Nand backup on a new Switch 2.3.0 with autoRCM on, should i make a new backup with autoRCM off instead, or does it not matter?

Last edited by Ninn, Jul 21, 2019
    NoNAND likes this.
  9. geecat

geecat Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2019
    United States
    Yes you should AutoRCM basically intentionally bricks your Boot partitions. How AutoRCM works.

10. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    You mean it's not necessary to make a Nand backup with it off?

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You don't need to make a NAND backup with AutoRCM off. It just means that you will have AutoRCM enabled if you ever restore the backup.

Take the backup you have and put it somewhere safe.

Use ChoiDujourNX to update your system.

Pretty much the same thing as 90DNS.

You should only ever use online play using a clean NAND. For example, if you have a clean sysNAND (no hacks ever used) but a dirty emuNAND (where you use all of your hacks), you should never connect to the internet with the dirty emuNAND (unless you have 90DNS and/or Incognito installed).

90DNS, Incognito, and the SX OS "stealth mode" block connections to Nintendo's servers. You cannot install system updates nor game updates with any of these three things installed. If you remove all three of these things, you will likely be banned from online play if you're using a dirty NAND.

If you want to update a game on a dirty NAND, download the game update NSP and install it. If you want to update your system on a dirty NAND, use ChoiDujourNX.

The error you described means there's a recommended game update that isn't installed.

Install the NSP for the game update you want to install.

You cannot use any Nintendo services with 90DNS, "stealth mode," or Incognito installed. If you are on a dirty NAND, you will be banned if you remove all three of these things.

If you want to play online, you need to use a clean NAND that has never touched hacks before. That also means that the games you play online with must be legitimately purchased. For people who want to play online, it's recommended that they use a clean sysNAND for online play and a dirty emuNAND for all things related to hacks.

If your system downloaded a system update, booting into Recovery Mode (not RCM) will clear the update. You should be blocking updates with 90DNS and/or Incognito if you don't want updates to be downloaded. If you are using CFW, you also shouldn't be connected to the internet without 90DNS and/or Incognito. Otherwise, you will likely be banned.

There is also no reason not to update to 8.1.0 at this point.

You can use a 64 GB SD card.

1. Which system version are you on? If it's higher than 4.1.0, PegaScape is useless to you.
    2. In order to install Fake News, you have to actually boot into CFW ("CFW sysNAND" in Hekate). After that, the Switch will seemingly boot normally, and you can launch the Homebrew Launcher from there using the instructions in the guide.
    3. You should make a NAND backup before doing anything else. It's the first thing you should do.

You need to make sure your Switch is unpatched and compatible with the RCM exploit. Follow this guide to see if your Switch can accept RCM payloads: https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/checkingrcm

If your Switch is unpatched, it is forever hackable. If your Switch is ipatched, it cannot be hacked on 8.1.0.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 21, 2019
  12. Thais

Thais Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    Brazil
    Hi everyone!
    I’m really noob about this whole Switch hacking world, although my switch has been hacked before by a friend of mine.

The thing is, the console system is 7.0.1, it’s running atmosphere 0.8.4 I think. I don’t know if it ever got banned either, I used hbg shop on it before but I don’t know if it messed up or I’m just a lucky girl.

I would really like to upgrade the system console, get a new CFW with Emunand.

I’ve been reading a lot of stuff about all the options possible out there on how to do it but I got confused by the steps I should take, once my switch has CFW already. Backup first? Factory reset? System update? I don’t know anymore, I got confused (sorry!).

I have autoRCM enabled, cause I don’t have a jig (just bought one together with a higher capacity SD card, just waiting to get it on the mail actually) and I also don’t have a clean nand backup (actually just figured out what it is after I started studying).

What are the exactly steps you guys recommend to do all this?

Thank you very much in advance :)

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you're using a dirty NAND (i.e. you used hacks on it) connected to the internet without 90DNS and/or Incognito, then you are likely banned or flagged to be banned.

You should do the following:
    1. Download the latest version of Atmosphere.
    2. Download the latest fusee-primary (it's next to Atmosphere).
    3. Remove the Atmosphere files and folders on your SD card.
    4. Add the latest Atmosphere to your SD card.
    5. Download the latest signature patches.
    6. Put the signature patches onto the SD card.
    7. Boot into Atmosphere using fusee-primary.

You can use ChoiDujourNX to update your system version to 8.1.0. ChoiDujourNX will automatically keep AutoRCM installed.

If you don't care about online play, then you don't need to use an emuNAND.

You don't need to make a NAND backup unless you don't already have one stored somewhere safe. Other than that, you just need to follow my suggestions above.

You don't need a clean NAND backup unless you want to use online play. You should have some kind of NAND backup (clean or dirty) stored somewhere safe in case your Switch needs to be recovered from a brick.

14. ThereGoesChris

ThereGoesChris Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    United States
    Hi everyone I have a question but cant seem to find the answer anywhere, maybe someone here can help me.
    So im using emummc with hekate and atmosphere all on the latest firmwares. Im able to launch cwf on emunand and everything works fine, my only question is what is the best way to launch into my clean stock sysnand so i can play online games and such. Should I launch it through hekate (where I select launch and then choose Stock sysnand) or should I power off my switch and then power it on normally and use it from there?

Thanks in advance.

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you don't have AutoRCM installed, it's recommended that you power off your system and boot normally for your clean sysNAND.
    If you do have AutoRCM installed, you will need to launch your clean sysNAND using Hekate.

16. ThereGoesChris

ThereGoesChris Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    United States
    Which is safer or better in your opinion?
    Or is it just whichever you prefer?

Thanks for the quick answer.

17. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you don't have AutoRCM installed, I recommend powering off and booting your sysNAND normally. It's potentially safer, and there's no real reason to do any other method unless you have AutoRCM installed.

18. ThereGoesChris

ThereGoesChris Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    United States
    Ok cool thanks.
    I'll just power it off and power on normally whenever I want to use stock sysnand.
    And just use a jig whenever I want to use cfw emunand.

Thanks for the help man.

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That just means your NAND dump will have AutoRCM pre-enabled meaning when you restore your NAND, AutoRCM will be enabled regardless if you have it disabled or enabled before the restore. There is nothing wrong with this. It is just something to keep in mind.

NoNAND, Lacius and Ninn like this.
  20. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    Alright...I get it now, good to know.

One thing i dont get if i want to play online. My Switch is on 2.3.0, and if i make a emuNAND and update the emuNAND to 8.1.0 With Choi to play homebrew, how do i update my SysNand up to 8.1.0 so i can play online(Don't want to use nintendo's official updater and burn any fuses)? Do i update my SysNand with Choi aswell? It wont be clean after that.

I guess it's after i update my sysNAND with Choi that i launch it with Hekate as Stock to play online?