Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Brightshadow360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the current best dns to prevent updates? I keep trying the reswitched one
  1. Set “Primary DNS” to 104.236.106.125
  2. Set “Secondary DNS” to 62.210.147.20
but it keeps claiming I need to "register to use the network"

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the current best dns to prevent updates? I keep trying the reswitched one
  1. Set “Primary DNS” to 104.236.106.125
  2. Set “Secondary DNS” to 62.210.147.20
but it keeps claiming I need to "register to use the network"
Don't know if they still maintain their server but I know 90DNS is still up and operational.

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know the firmware requirement for Katamari but Smash needs at least 5.1. But with CFW you can update without burning fuses. Fuses are designed to prevent downgrades. The console does this by checking the fuse count with the firmware. If the fuses are lower than the firmware, it will burn fuses until it matches the expected number of fuses for that firmware. If the fuses are higher than the firmware, the console will refuse to boot. The whole purpose of downgrading is to keep the possibility open of using an exploit on lower firmwares such as the warmboot Deja Vu or the coveted but theoretical untethered coldboot exploit. If you don't care about fuses and subsequently other potential exploits, then you can just update normally and irreversibly burn fuses. But if you do care about fuses, you should use one of the CFW available to load the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX to update your firmware without burning fuses.

As for bans, there are 2 different types of bans but both types block eShop access, online play, and game updates.

Can I just ask, if I have SXOS on the latest beta version and Im in CFW-does this mean I cant/shouldnt connect to online to update to the latest Switch firmware as it may burn fuses?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I just ask, if I have SXOS on the latest beta version and Im in CFW-does this mean I cant/shouldnt connect to online to update to the latest Switch firmware as it may burn fuses?
What will burn fuses is booting the Switch normally meaning without sending a payload. What can also burn fuses is performing a system update online or via a cartridge. Although Atmosphere now offers protection against burning fuses that way as long as you have AutoRCM enabled prior.

carmac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after trying to get my homebrew to work for a while and constantly getting:

" [FatFS] Error: NOFAT
Failed to mount SD card (FATFS Error 13).
Make sure that a FAT partition exists.. "

with 2 different sd cards, reformatted both to FAT, FAT32, MBR init , I don't know what else to do to these cards to get the switch to read them. I give up, something is clearly going over my head here. Has anyone else run into this? I'm using the latest version of Hekate.

Also, if that doesn't work, if all I've been able to do is run in RCM, is that enough for Nintendo to detect and ban the console? Asking in case I want to sell this unit, I feel like since I never got to the point where CFW has run that maybe the Switch is safe for someone else to buy for their kids or something, I'd feel kinda bad if I sold them a console that will just be banned because I've injected a payload via Tegra even though I never got past that into CFW.

ChokingVictim87

Trophies
XP
Country
What will burn fuses is booting the Switch normally meaning without sending a payload. What can also burn fuses is performing a system update online or via a cartridge. Although Atmosphere now offers protection against burning fuses that way as long as you have AutoRCM enabled prior.

Mines constantly in sleep mode on sxos unless I need to turn it off for whatever reason.

Would you advise updating the system online while in CFW?

michaelpatko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonavagun! What the heck is this burning fuses situation? I'm super happy to have located a system at Target today that is in the GREEN range on the spreadsheet. If I "jailbreak" this unit, I might burn something out??

ciareriam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
What CFW are you using?
If the NAND you backed up is clean and made before hacking, you should restore it before you make the EmuNAND partition. If there is any save data if you want to keep, you should back it up now so you can inject it into the EmuNAND partition later. Then just install the EmuNAND to wherever you want. There is no "best" EmuNAND solution as all 3 have their own pros and cons.

What are the big pros and cons? I haven't been keeping up with the scene so the new things (tinfoil, goldleaf, 90DNS, XlinkKai etc) are really confusing me. After restoring my NAND and making a new EmuNAND, what should I install if all I really want to do is play offline? Also, how should I update within EmuNAND?

Thank you so much for your help.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after trying to get my homebrew to work for a while and constantly getting:

" [FatFS] Error: NOFAT
Failed to mount SD card (FATFS Error 13).
Make sure that a FAT partition exists.. "

with 2 different sd cards, reformatted both to FAT, FAT32, MBR init , I don't know what else to do to these cards to get the switch to read them. I give up, something is clearly going over my head here. Has anyone else run into this? I'm using the latest version of Hekate.

Also, if that doesn't work, if all I've been able to do is run in RCM, is that enough for Nintendo to detect and ban the console? Asking in case I want to sell this unit, I feel like since I never got to the point where CFW has run that maybe the Switch is safe for someone else to buy for their kids or something, I'd feel kinda bad if I sold them a console that will just be banned because I've injected a payload via Tegra even though I never got past that into CFW.
Another user had a similar-ish issue with SX OS after using Hekate where the console was unable to read the boot.dat on the micro SD card. He confirmed it was an issue after doing something with his Switch. You can check out all the details in the thread.

And RCM is a part of the console, its possible (but heavily unlikely) to trigger it by accident so it shouldn't get banned. In fact, the user above sent it to Nintendo and his console wasn't banned despite running CFW such as SX OS so you should be fine.
Mines constantly in sleep mode on sxos unless I need to turn it off for whatever reason.

Nope, both from a fuses and banning perspective. ChoiDujourNX is the best way to update. Its also the only way to update EmuNAND safely since the other methods of updating EmuNAND would either result in a ban (online) or require buying a cartridge.

Sonavagun! What the heck is this burning fuses situation? I'm super happy to have located a system at Target today that is in the GREEN range on the spreadsheet. If I "jailbreak" this unit, I might burn something out??
The Switch has a number of fuses allocated for downgrade prevention. What it does is it checks the firmware with the fuse count. If there are less fuses burnt than the firmware, it burns fuses until they match. If there are more fuses burnt than the firmware, the console will refuse to boot up. Fuses have been around for a few decades now. It might be worth reading up on eFuses.
What are the big pros and cons? I haven't been keeping up with the scene so the new things (tinfoil, goldleaf, 90DNS, XlinkKai etc) are really confusing me. After restoring my NAND and making a new EmuNAND, what should I install if all I really want to do is play offline? Also, how should I update within EmuNAND?

EmuNAND installed into the internal memory is self-explanatory as well as installing it to the SD card as a file. Partitioning the micro SD card means part of your SD card will be formatted to install the EmuNAND meaning part of the micro SD card's space cannot be accessed without reformatting the entire SD card again. In terms of safety from a ban, partitioning is the best followed by installation to micro SD. An issue with installing to the card is that if EmuNAND gets corrupted, it will corrupt the entire SD card. Regardless of which option you choose, its best to update the firmware of EmuNAND with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX. Lastly, since you already have SX OS, you pretty much have all you need once you setup EmuNAND apart from homebrew and backups the latter of which I cannot help you out with.

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hey, guys. Still looking for advice on how (or, rather, where) to link a Nintendo Account - sysNAND/OFW (I’m on 1.0.0), emuNAND/CFW (I’m on 6.2.0) or OFW booting through a bootloader (if it makes any difference).

@CapCaveman oh thanks for the answer! Good to know that ChoiDuJour has this thing build in :o

Wait so you can install things through the USB port of the Switch?
That makes things way more convenient. Guess fat32 is really best format here.

You’re more than welcome. I’ve received so much help in the last few days, the least I can do is help back. :)

ChoiDuJourNX does have AutoRCM enabled by default. You can check just to make sure that it says that before proceeding with the update (touching the checkmark will disable it).

And yes, you can install some homebrew applications (not all of them - ChoiDuJourNX, for example, has to be loaded in the SD card) and game backups from an external drive (HDD, flash drive, etc.) connected to one of the dock’s USB ports (the Switch has to be in docked mode, obviously).

You can even run XCIs straight from USB, without the need to install them (though that will affect speeds).

I’d definitely recommend using FAT32 as the file system for the microSD card and just installing everything to it via USB (drives connected to it can - and should - be formatted as exFAT, to make your life easier).

I replied to your post in a different thread, but I advise against updating online while on emuNAND/CFW, because of the risk of getting banned.

Just run ChoiDuJourNX while on emuNAND/SX OS and update using that application. That way, only your emuNAND will be updated and you won’t risk burning fuses.

Check out @Draxzelex ’s posts on this thread (you don’t have to read everything, just those in the last 5-10 pages or so). There’s a lot of information that’ll help you.

After you crate an emuNAND, download ChoiDuJourNX and put the file in the root of your microSD card (the actual root directory, outside of the Emutendo folder).

Then use that application to update to the latest firmware while on emuNAND/SX OS. Only the emuNAND si be updated, preserving your sysNAND and preventing you from burning fuses.

While on emuNAND, ChoiNX’s AutoRCM doesn’t do anything, so you’ll have to enable AutoRCM in RCM if you want that function, using your bootloader of choice (if SX, boot into RCM and go to options > install AutoRCM).

CapCaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is that app easy to use (I’m a bit of a noob at this sort of thing)? Also,is it a case of finding the game/firmware update files and installing them in the app?

It’s very easy. There are links on this forum for ChoiDuJourNX (I’d link them to you, but I’m on mobile at the moment). Download the files and read the TXT. You can then just put the NRO in the root directory of your microSD card.

Boot into SX OS’s emuNAND, open the album app and ChoiDuJourNX should be listed in the homebrew section. Once you start it, it’s a very straightforward process (the Tutorials forum has a guide that you can follow - I believe I even linked it before, so you can check my post history).

You also need the actual firmware files. You can Google and easily find them.

chrishooked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm new to Switch hacking. I have a switch with serial number XAW10000426656. It is running version 6.2.0.

Am I correct in thinking that it hasn't been patched?

Can I buy NS Atmosphere, and use it to put Homebrew on my Switch? I'm trying to understand, but there's so much info out there.

Thanks in advance for any input!

teelo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hello,

I'm new to Switch hacking. I have a switch with serial number XAW10000426656. It is running version 6.2.0.

Am I correct in thinking that it hasn't been patched?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

Serials beginning with XAW1:
XAW1007800X and below are safe to buy
XAW1007900X and above not safe to buy, possibly patched
XAW1012000X and above definitely patched

If you're still unsure, use one of the methods to boot it into RCM and see if you can inject a payload. You're not going to get your console banned if its patched and the payload fails to inject.

Last edited by teelo,

chrishooked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're still unsure, use one of the methods to boot it into RCM and see if you can inject a payload. You're not going to get your console banned if its patched and the payload fails to inject.

I'm fairly certain it isn't patched, my other question is, will NS Atmosphere work? I don't have a jig, and was curious as to whether that method would work. I don't wanna mess around and break my switch w/ a paperclip. Thanks.

teelo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't have a jig, and was curious as to whether that method would work. I don't wanna mess around and break my switch w/ a paperclip
Use a soft piece of metal wire. I used an old damaged USB cable, cut a short piece from the middle, separated out a single inner wire and stripped the plastic off. Took me a few go's to get the right pins shorted, but it worked.

chrishooked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a soft piece of metal wire. I used an old damaged USB cable, cut a short piece from the middle, separated out a single inner wire and stripped the plastic off. Took me a few go's to get the right pins shorted, but it worked.

I have some copper wire I've used for wire wrapping. Would that suffice? I just connect it to the 10th and 1st pins, correct?

teelo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have some copper wire I've used for wire wrapping. Would that suffice? I just connect it to the 10th and 1st pins, correct?
Long as its soft it shouldn't damage the switch. I don't like the paperclip method for that reason. Sure, it can be faster to get the right pins shorted, but the risk of damage...

Yeah, the pins on the two edges. Or pin 10 with the screw in the middle (though this didn't work when I tried it).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1