SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    It's against the site rules to mention them here.

2. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Depends on what version of they SDK they are made with. If it was made with 5.0 SDK then most likely no, if it was the 6.0 sdk then an update will most likely be needed

Dark umbrella, google, reddit, discord etc

We can discuss, we can't link.

Draxzelex likes this.
  3. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Do ReiNX Toolkit, Hekate and briccmii use the same method of corruption? Just want to know if I can screw up by enabling and disabling AutoRCM with different tools.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I think they do but briccmii has the ability to reverse any boot0 corruption aka AutoRCM installation. The reason I know this is because I tried removing the AutoRCM installed via ChoiDujourNX with the ReiNX toolkit and it didn't work meaning it may have enabled 2 different forms of AutoRCM. But briccmii was able to undo the boot0 corruption.

SomeGamer likes this.
  5. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Thanks! I must say, the Switch scene is a bit confusing now. Two major CFWs, their loaders, then you have Hekate, not to mention those million SDfiles. It's quite hard to decide, then actually put together what you need.

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Leaving SX OS aside, both ReiNX and tomGER's SD Files (which include Atmosphere as well as all other CFW) accomplish the same thing for the end-user such as launching homebrew and playing backups. However there are minor differences between the two, namely Atmosphere and ReiNX. Atmosphere is under a pre-release right now which shares the same functionality as ReiNX which hasn't seen an update in nearly a month now. Not only that but Atmosphere has plans to implement the highly-coveted EmuNAND; not the one TX advertises which is emulated from the NAND rather than the SD card. Also, Atmosphere supposedly has plans to block all telemetry from the Switch although I'm a bit skeptical. However, it does feature anti-banning plugins such as creport which redirects crash reports to the SD card. ReiNX does also support creport but the official ReiNX guide does not bundle creport with it.

Not sure if I helped or confused you more.

SomeGamer likes this.
  7. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Definitely helped, thanks! I'm fine with technical stuff, not new to hax, just the Switch scene. Also I wonder why ReiNX isn't being updated. Guess they have that "smart" patching. :P

8. mugendc4

mugendc4 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2007
    United States
    is there a way to format an sd card that is tied to another switch other than booting into the original fw? Would formatting the sd card on a PC wipe the information tied to the other switch?

9. vampier206

vampier206 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2016
    United States
    how does one update atmosphere and everything else that needed?

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its pretty much the Nintendo folder that ties an SD card to a console.
    All non-SX OS CFW typically use one folder that is named after the CFW itself (e.g. ReiNX, atmosphere, RajNX). Replacing that folder with the newer one is sufficient for updating the CFW. However all non-SX OS CFW don't bundle the homebrew menu with the raw CFW and to install the homebrew menu, they have you place it in the CFW folder. Meaning if you just delete the old folder and replace it with the new one, you will have to redownload the homebrew menu. Just merging the 2 folders is not recommended either as there can be files in the old CFW folder that can cause issues with the new one if not removed.

For best practice, remove but don't delete the old CFW folder, move the new one onto the SD card, then compare the files inside between each folder and only move files from the old folder into the new one if you know you need it.

Wanap likes this.
  11. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Is that a problem if the Switch goes into sleep mode while installing NSPs? (It seems to resume just fine when waking up.)

12. vampier206

vampier206 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2016
    United States
    got it. thank u
    another question i have is im using 2 diff sds one with all the hb stuff on it and pirate games and then my OG one which has updates and all that shit. what files do i need to move so i can play the cart games i own with outupdating them on the hb sd and keeping my saves.

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That's weird. I remember when installing the Mariokart 8 Deluxe .NSP file using network install, it crashed when the console went to sleep. Then again, I used network install and Tinfoil has changed a lot since then. Maybe its been fixed, but I'm not in the interest of finding out.
    The Nintendo folder stores all games, updates, and DLC installed to the SD card. Saves on the other hand are kept in the NAND.

14. OnnRyuu

OnnRyuu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    I just bought my switch (serial XAJ400453). Didn't connect to internet or installed a game. Came with FW 4.1.
    I went straight to do a NAND backup but it isn't working. I keep getting errors like 'SD card and eMMC data <@LBA 00004000>, do not match' or 'backup emmc raw fatal error' or others of the like. I just cant backup my NAND. Is this normal? I'm using an Sandisk ultra 64gb. Tried it with both xfat and fat32 formats. None worked.

Also, is CDNSP Bob no longer working? I remember using it to try games on Yuzu but now it doesn't seem to work.

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Check to see if the SD card is fake using a program called FakeFlashTest.

Also CDNSP is dead.

16. OnnRyuu

OnnRyuu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    Alright. What happens if my SD Card is fake? I have to buy a new one?
    Are there alternatives do CDNSP?

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If the SD card is fake, then that means its real capacity is much smaller than the advertised one. There is no fix for that outside of buying a new SD card.

Also, Google is a nice alternative to CDNSP.

18. blogness

blogness Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Anyone know how much space is needed to backup nand and keys for version 1.0.0?
    My dilemma here is that I have a 256GB MicroSD card but I don't think fw1.0.0 reads those... Will it fit on a 32GB card? Can I just format the 256GB as fat32 and use it for the backup?

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The NAND is the biggest thing by a long shot at 29.1 GB. If the SD card is formatted as FAT32 and/or there isn't 29.1 GB of free space, Hekate will dump the NAND in parts meaning you can even dump the NAND on an SD card smaller than 32 GB. Also firmware is irrelevant when it comes to dumping the NAND since Hekate is loaded outside of the NAND (more specifically in RCM).

blogness likes this.
  20. blogness

blogness Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    OK so then can I just make it easy and use the exFAT formatted 256GB card to dump everything?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted