Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am backing up my NAND right now from my PC, but its going really slow (32% completed in 3-hrs). I realized its because I have games installed on my Switch and its taking longer to backup.

So is there a way to stop the backup without ruining or potentially bricking my Nintendo Switch?

Thanks

Last edited by elm,

wizra

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on SX OS 1.5, Switch OFW 5.1.0

I was copying some data to the SD card, but my laptop is old, and I accidentally disconnected the charger, so there was power outage and the SD card has been corrupted. I couldn't add anything to the card, I couldn't take it out of read-only mode, so I formatted the card.

I have the license.dat backed up I put everything back on the SD card, now it won't turn on. Am I screwed? I had it on AutoRCM mode. Is it bricked forever now? I'm putting the USB dongle device in, it's still not waking up.

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I am backing up my NAND right now from my PC, but its going really slow (32% completed in 3-hrs). I realized its because I have games installed on my Switch and its taking longer to backup.

So is there a way to stop the backup without ruining or potentially bricking my Nintendo Switch?

Thanks

Has the Nand backup been completed by now?

In any case, I don't think there is a way to stop it and I definitely wouldn't try to cancel it anyway. Just let it finish, you're safe that way. Also, which filesystem is your SD Card formatted as?

For me, exfat cuts down the time it takes to backup my nand by 1/3. Considering that with fat32, that's 1 hour and 30 minutes, it's quite a leap;)

Reactions: elm

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has the Nand backup been completed by now?

In any case, I don't think there is a way to stop it and I definitely wouldn't try to cancel it anyway. Just let it finish, you're safe that way. Also, which filesystem is your SD Card formatted as?

For me, exfat cuts down the time it takes to backup my nand by 1/3. Considering that with fat32, that's 1 hour and 30 minutes, it's quite a leap;)

Yeah, I decided not to mess with it, I let it go all night long and it took about 5+ hours to complete. I think I'm going to delete all my installed games and do it again, that way if I have to reinstall my NAND it won't take forever :rolleyes:

Thanks

Reactions: thorasgar

AlfretXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If even an original nsp file refuses to install, it could indicate a problem with Tinfoil itself. Which version of Tinfoil are you using?

Oh and it might help to know what game you are trying to install aswell

Latest version of tinfoil.
Could it be a problem with the sigpatching? I use reinx.bin from latest sdfiles for injecting.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on SX OS 1.5, Switch OFW 5.1.0

I was copying some data to the SD card, but my laptop is old, and I accidentally disconnected the charger, so there was power outage and the SD card has been corrupted. I couldn't add anything to the card, I couldn't take it out of read-only mode, so I formatted the card.

I have the license.dat backed up I put everything back on the SD card, now it won't turn on. Am I screwed? I had it on AutoRCM mode. Is it bricked forever now? I'm putting the USB dongle device in, it's still not waking up.
It sounds like the battery drained out in RCM. It charges very slowly in RCM and have heard it can take 6 hours to get it to a point it can boot up. So just let it charge, prepare your SD card and be ready to boot it up later and then finish charging once you are in CFW or OFW. Maybe even use that time to do a full (not quick) format of the SD card just to make sure it is in top shape.

Going forward is nsp the way to go or xci?
There is debate on that but the general consensus of the community seems to be nsp. There really isn’t a choice right now anyway unless you have SX.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a question, i have made a NAND backup of my 3.0.2 Switch, then i updated to the latest version via chujodoir, do i need to make another NAND backup now?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question, i have made a NAND backup of my 3.0.2 Switch, then i updated to the latest version via chujodoir, do i need to make another NAND backup now?
As long as you didn't burn fuses when updating, you don't HAVE to, but it would be useful to make as you can just restore that backup to quickly head to 5.1 without ChoiDujourNX.

Reactions: Ivellios

soul0war

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, finally ready to hack my switch, I'm on 5.1 and updated my exfat drivers. so I just follow gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/ and than gbatemp.net/threads/guide-reinx-installation-and-use.512342/?

Or is there new stuff I should be doing? Thanks

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, finally ready to hack my switch, I'm on 5.1 and updated my exfat drivers. so I just follow gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/ and than gbatemp.net/threads/guide-reinx-installation-and-use.512342/?

Or is there new stuff I should be doing? Thanks
Depends on what your goal is when it comes to hacking the Switch. That one will set you up with a CFW that can play homebrew but not backups. However it teaches you how to do a NAND backup so I would follow it up to that point. If you wish to play backups, there is another pinned thread in that section of the forums that has ReiNX in its title; that CFW will let you play backups.

soul0war

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don,T I need to do the first tutorial before doing the second one I posted?

Depends on what your goal is when it comes to hacking the Switch. That one will set you up with a CFW that can play homebrew but not backups. However it teaches you how to do a NAND backup so I would follow it up to that point. If you wish to play backups, there is another pinned thread in that section of the forums that has ReiNX in its title; that CFW will let you play backups.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don,T I need to do the first tutorial before doing the second one I posted?
Forgive me for not reading your initial post properly. Yes, follow the first one (especially the part about backing up your NAND) before following the second tutorial. The second one doesn't explain how to backup the NAND unfortunately.

Reactions: XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Forgive me for not reading your initial post properly. Yes, follow the first one (especially the part about backing up your NAND) before following the second tutorial. The second one doesn't explain how to backup the NAND unfortunately.

I made the exact same mistake when I read his post as you did XD. I didn't realize he also posted the link to ReiNX CFW :mellow:

soul0war

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made the exact same mistake when I read his post as you did XD. I didn't realize he also posted the link to ReiNX CFW :mellow:

I can't post direct link ... need to play around teh rules a bit there...

Thanks guys. Also what would you recommend and heading to work abroad and will be using a paperclip jig. I'll be using it portable quite a bit I believe so what are my option?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Murphys Law applies here. You will not have any problems until you are out and about and then it will crash/reboot or just mess up and you will need to inject the payload. Having an Android phone/dongle/internal chip to get back up and running would be helpful.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few (maybe goofy questions about SX Pro) I am using SX Pro for the first time, I was able to get my license installed on my Switch, I also put it on Auto RCM.

1) So when I want to change the games on the SD card the Switch makes me power the console down. So do I have to use the Jig every time I power the Switch back on after completely shutting it down?

2) When should I disconnect the SX Dongle , after I select "Boot Custom FW" or when?

3) How often or long should I charge the SX Dongle. I notice a green light, does it turn off when completely charged?

Last edited by elm,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few (maybe goofy questions about SX Pro) I am using SX Pro for the first time, I was able to get my license installed on my Switch, I also put it on Auto RCM.

1) So when I want to change the games on the SD card the Switch makes me power the console down. So do I have to use the Jig every time I power the Switch back on after completely shutting it down?

2) When should I disconnect the SX Dongle , after I select "Boot Custom FW" or when?

3) How often or long should I charge the SX Dongle. I notice a green light, does it turn off when completely charged?

1. If it has AutoRCM, you don't need to use the jig anymore. However, you will need to use the dongle to reboot the console into the SX OS CFW
  2. Disconnect it after you see the TX splash screen
  3. TX said:
    The SuperCap’s are charged from either usb port ( USB-C or Micro USB ). The caps offer approximately 1 week standby time with enough energy left for one boot, or at least 5 10 successive boots without the opportunity to auto-charge. Charge to 80% is achieved (automatically) within 1-2 seconds of entry into the Nintendo start menu. We are working reducing that considerably … (see above for why not battery). Because we are powered by s-cap’s we have a very power conscious design.
    Leaving the dongle in the console for more than a minute is pointless but will do no harm in any way to the dongle and drain very little battery ( currently we draw ~25mA but will work on reducing that considerably after ~1-2 minutes charge mode).

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

1) If you use AutoRCM, you won't need the jig, but you won't be able to boot without injecting a payload (with the SX Pro, for example).
2) You can disconnect it as soon as you see the SX logo.
3) Eh, it lasts for a few days. You can always charge it for a few seconds from Horizon before going into RCM if it is dead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-