☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I can only repeat what I said, I don't know why you ignored it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/post-9882450

In any case, you saying that it only crashes in CFW points to an issue in your setup, so you did not install it freshly as you claimed before. Remove or move the contents folder inside SD/atmosphere to your PC and try again, if it doesn't crash in docked while running CFW I proved my point.
apologies, i think I didn't see it bc i've been incredibly stressed out as of late.

I guarantee that I completely removed the old atmosphere folder the past two times i tried, however, i will try once more regardless. I'm just so confused and i may be forgetting vital steps.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
apologies, i think I didn't see it bc i've been incredibly stressed out as of late.

I guarantee that I completely removed the old atmosphere folder the past two times i tried, however, i will try once more regardless. I'm just so confused and i may be forgetting vital steps.
As I said, either removing/deleting the contents folder from your SD card completely, or moving it as backup to your PC, just make sure it's not on your SD anymore before you boot Atmosphere. No need to remove the entire atmosphere folder.

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
As I said, either removing/deleting the contents folder from your SD card completely, or moving it as backup to your PC, just make sure it's not on your SD anymore before you boot Atmosphere. No need to remove the entire atmosphere folder.
Alright, thank you again!!! I am really truly sorry for how i looked over your previous post, I was so caught up in my panic and worry about destroying my switch i sort of thought more about posting to get a solution asap and completely looked over other advice LOL
Either way, testing with the ofw and the fact it worked fine only set in stone to me that it was just some error on my part with atmosphere's installation.

Will the contents folder be remade when i reboot to atmosphere if that's alright to ask? or should i readd anything in particular?
(i'm a little slow with understanding these things, sorry if i'm asking stupid questions lol)

edit: here's the contents of my previous contents folder
explorer_2DvJgyUOQe.png

the most i had was sys-botbase, emuiibo, and simplemodmanager when it came to sysmodules, and quite a few mods that never gave me trouble before, so I doubted it could be those!

If you need any more info that may help determine more- let me know!

update:
it just crashed in cfw even without the contents folder of atmosphere. I will completely remove everything and do a clean atmosphere installation again and then see if that works.

Last edited by Lavaimp,

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The contents folder won't exist, it's used for several extensions to Atmosphere, however the CFW itself doesn't rely on it.

The folder contains mods and cheats for games or so called sys-plugins for your CFW. Think of them as extensions like with packages on rooted/jailbroken phones, PlayStations or XBOX's, some things need to be hooked before the actual OS gets booted.

Therefore, everything in there is custom and added by the user. You should take a look into your backed up folder and find out which homebrew you used that required such plugin, or which mod or cheat you used in the past for which game, the title IDs (names of the folders) will give you hints if you google them.

If the removal solved the problem, your next step is then adding stuff back piece by piece to determine what's causing issues, find out if it has an update that might fix your problem or sadly get rid off it for good.

Edit, since you also edited your post while I typed:

This time, remove everything possible from your SD card (except your emuNAND and related files if you had one) and only then extract the latest releases of everything you need for core functionality (Atmosphere, hekate, sigpatches), it might take some time to find out what's really necessary (compare the zips and guides, if you need one to set it up again, choose one according for your system here https://rentry.org/CFWGuides).

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The contents folder won't exist, it's used for several extensions to Atmosphere, however the CFW itself doesn't rely on it.

The folder contains mods and cheats for games or so called sys-plugins for your CFW. Think of them as extensions like with packages on rooted/jailbroken phones, PlayStations or XBOX's, some things need to be hooked before the actual OS gets booted.

Therefore, everything in there is custom and added by the user. You should take a look into your backed up folder and find out which homebrew you used that required such plugin, or which mod or cheat you used in the past for which game, the title IDs (names of the folders) will give you hints if you google them.

If the removal solved the problem, your next step is then adding stuff back piece by piece to determine what's causing issues, find out if it has an update that might fix your problem or sadly get rid off it for good.

Edit, since you also edited your post while I typed:

This time, remove everything possible from your SD card (except your emuNAND and related files if you had one) and only then extract the latest releases of everything you need for core functionality (Atmosphere, hekate, sigpatches), it might take some time to find out what's really necessary (compare the zips and guides, if you need one to set it up again, choose one according for your system here https://rentry.org/CFWGuides).
In that case, would removing the Nintendo folder be somethiing i should do too? Asking primarily due to the fact that i didn't remove it in the past since I personally didn't know if I should.

edit:
i fortunately have a folder i set up with all of the up to date stuff for a completely clean unmodified instalation of hekate, atmosphere, and the sigpatches for this sole reason (i do this for all updates because of my paranoia), and so i'm just gonna clear out everything and put that in and try loading again. May have to reinstall my games, but i'm honestly not really minding that anymore.

Last edited by Lavaimp,

mavinsroom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys! I am an owner of a modded v2 switch I bought 2nd hand. I have had it for a couple of months now and it has been a really great device.

Recently, I have begun to experience an issue in which my touch screen's touch input is only detected by the device while in the Hekate Menu. For example, i can go through the whole hekate menu by touch, and I am able to boot into either Atmosphere or HOS but I cannot use touch input until I turn off the device and do a fresh boot.

Every now and then the touch input will work for a couple of minutes on atmosphere and HOS after a fresh boot but will stop working again. Ive seen only one other post on the forums regarding this issue but with no solid solution.

I have done the following:

- drained battery to 0 and did a full charge, no change.

- calibrated touchscreen in hekate menu.

- updated atmosphere and system software

Any suggestions or help would be much much appreciated.

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have successfully did a fully clean install of only hekate/atmos/sigpatches. I'm reinstalling okami first, but i am a bit bummed i forgot to backup my saves for it (so i fear they're gone... the game isn't particularly the easiest to play through at points but i don't mind taking my time with it again)

i'll edit this when I know if i still get the ptm crash even after wiping everything completely and reinstalling only a select few games (probably only the main three i play: okami, miitopia, animal crossing. Realizing i had a bad habit of installing games i wont even play for awhile. )

i'm really hoping this fixes my issues with the console, but i'll resort to the reversenx tool if i have to since i don't mind handheld's performance so long as i can play on the tv.

I'll edit this or post again later with results of all this. thanks for everything to the people that gave me advice.

update:
it... still crashes, ptm.
I don't know what's going on anymore.

update, again:
I'm pretty much giving up lol.
clean installations didn't work, it seems like running the game in handheld mode on the dock yields the same results too.
i'm just gonna try not to stress so much over this anymore. it's been making me genuinely, physically ill.
kinda hate this just abruptly started happening but what can i do anymore? Lol.... guess i'll just play the games i like in ofw (even then it crashed once while re-installling a game, dunno if it'll do that again).

I'll save for a newer switch that's pre-modded or something because i sure as hell don't know if I can mod a newer model.

another update:
firefox_0sCMkibQyN.png
this is the error i got in ofw. it only happened once so far while docked. really starting to think the usb-c port is damaged somehow?

how much would that be to repair?
this would explain why it doesn't seem to be properly charging in handheld mode either, and is draining really fast?

Last edited by Lavaimp,

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys! I am an owner of a modded v2 switch I bought 2nd hand. I have had it for a couple of months now and it has been a really great device.

Recently, I have begun to experience an issue in which my touch screen's touch input is only detected by the device while in the Hekate Menu. For example, i can go through the whole hekate menu by touch, and I am able to boot into either Atmosphere or HOS but I cannot use touch input until I turn off the device and do a fresh boot.

Every now and then the touch input will work for a couple of minutes on atmosphere and HOS after a fresh boot but will stop working again. Ive seen only one other post on the forums regarding this issue but with no solid solution.

I have done the following:

- drained battery to 0 and did a full charge, no change.

- calibrated touchscreen in hekate menu.

- updated atmosphere and system software

Any suggestions or help would be much much appreciated.
Since it's a v2 Switch, therfore chipped (and as I have such myself), it really sounds like a sloppy mod job. My friend did it for me so I can't help with details, but I am pretty sure the person who modded it didn't do it properly, especially for the touchscreen reconnection apparently.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have successfully did a fully clean install of only hekate/atmos/sigpatches. I'm reinstalling okami first, but i am a bit bummed i forgot to backup my saves for it (so i fear they're gone... the game isn't particularly the easiest to play through at points but i don't mind taking my time with it again)

i'll edit this when I know if i still get the ptm crash even after wiping everything completely and reinstalling only a select few games (probably only the main three i play: okami, miitopia, animal crossing. Realizing i had a bad habit of installing games i wont even play for awhile. )

i'm really hoping this fixes my issues with the console, but i'll resort to the reversenx tool if i have to since i don't mind handheld's performance so long as i can play on the tv.

I'll edit this or post again later with results of all this. thanks for everything to the people that gave me advice.

update:
it... still crashes, ptm.
I don't know what's going on anymore.

update, again:
I'm pretty much giving up lol.
clean installations didn't work, it seems like running the game in handheld mode on the dock yields the same results too.
i'm just gonna try not to stress so much over this anymore. it's been making me genuinely, physically ill.
kinda hate this just abruptly started happening but what can i do anymore? Lol.... guess i'll just play the games i like in ofw (even then it crashed once while re-installling a game, dunno if it'll do that again).

I'll save for a newer switch that's pre-modded or something because i sure as hell don't know if I can mod a newer model.

another update:
View attachment 318316
this is the error i got in ofw. it only happened once so far while docked. really starting to think the usb-c port is damaged somehow?

how much would that be to repair?
this would explain why it doesn't seem to be properly charging in handheld mode either, and is draining really fast?
1) take to local repair guy
2) ask for estimate of repair
3) determine if less than cost of buying new switch
4) decide what you want to do

E: your saves will stored in Emunand. If the emunand was files based and you deleted them you’re screwed. If it is partition based and you didn’t format the entire sd card (i.e. you reused the emunand partition) you can use NXNandManager to mount /USER/saves and copy the files to your PC for importing using JKSV.

mavinsroom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since it's a v2 Switch, therfore chipped (and as I have such myself), it really sounds like a sloppy mod job. My friend did it for me so I can't help with details, but I am pretty sure the person who modded it didn't do it properly, especially for the touchscreen reconnection apparently.
If thats the case how come it was fine up to now. The guy I purchased it from has had this switch for a whole year before me. And ive only been using it for a couple of months and now this issue turns up?

also how should I approach fixing this issue?

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
1) take to local repair guy
2) ask for estimate of repair
3) determine if less than cost of buying new switch
4) decide what you want to do

E: your saves will stored in Emunand. If the emunand was files based and you deleted them you’re screwed. If it is partition based and you didn’t format the entire sd card (i.e. you reused the emunand partition) you can use NXNandManager to mount /USER/saves and copy the files to your PC for importing using JKSV.
thank you so much.
if i do end up having to replace the switch, how difficult is it to get newer models modded? I think mine was a v1.... so it was easy to use a tool to put it into rcm, though i feel newer models are not that easy.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Tempers, what's considered the standard tool for game save/migration for transferring from an old to new console?
Want to extract one user profile game saves off old switch. (Old one has a few user profiles if that matters) Does the new switch profile have to have the exact user name, or that doesn't matter?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Tempers, what's considered the standard tool for game save/migration for transferring from an old to new console?
Want to extract one user profile game saves off old switch. (Old one has a few user profiles if that matters) Does the new switch profile have to have the exact user name, or that doesn't matter?
JKSV is the gold standard followed by Checkpoint. Profile name doesn’t matter. Make a new save entry on the new Switch by playing the game at least once. Then modify that save with the old save data, import and you’re done.

Here’s a list of the three I’ve used:

Game Saves​

• jksv — game save manager
  • checkpoint — another game save manager
  • neumann — yet another game save manager

Last edited by binkinator,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you so much.
if i do end up having to replace the switch, how difficult is it to get newer models modded? I think mine was a v1.... so it was easy to use a tool to put it into rcm, though i feel newer models are not that easy.

V1 Erista models can still be found on eBay. Newer V2 Mariko models require a chip to be soldered in. The chips run about $110 US on AliExpress. Pro install is around the same to double that. Depends upon the tech doing it.

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
V1 Erista models can still be found on eBay. Newer V2 Mariko models require a chip to be soldered in. The chips run about $110 US on AliExpress. Pro install is around the same to double that. Depends upon the tech doing it.
oh geez that's pretty expensive ._.
I'd feel a tad nervous buying another old console so i'm half tempted ot just save for a reliably pre-modded mariko switch then.

... would around $300 cover it properly? I wouldn't be able to get it until a few months from now, sadly, but if it's worth the money then yea. (i know there's a section of the forum dedicated to this so maybe i'll post there lol...)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh geez that's pretty expensive ._.
I'd feel a tad nervous buying another old console so i'm half tempted ot just save for a reliably pre-modded mariko switch then.

... would around $300 cover it properly? I wouldn't be able to get it until a few months from now, sadly, but if it's worth the money then yea. (i know there's a section of the forum dedicated to this so maybe i'll post there lol...)
$300 would cover it for the mod chip and install. You would still need to buy a V2 Switch though.

A pre-built Switch out-the-door for $400-$600 maybe?

$250-ish would also buy a V1 with money left over.

Check eBay, Mercari, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace. Whatever’s popular in your area….prices fluctuate.

Worth is in the mind of the consumer. Many would believe so. My mom would say we’re all wasting our money and our lives.

Only you can decide…

Last edited by binkinator,

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
$300 would cover it for the mod chip and install. You would still need to buy a V2 Switch though.

A pre-built Switch out-the-door for $400-$600 maybe?

$250-ish would also buy a V1 with money left over.

Check eBay, Mercari, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace. Whatever’s popular in your area….prices fluctuate.

Worth is in the mind of the consumer. Many would believe so. My mom would say we’re all wasting our money and our lives.

Only you can decide…
yeah, i may look into a v1 pre-modded switch in the end on ebay bc yea, lol
... though i don't want to jinx it i'm gonna ask- is it possible that dust buildup in the usb-c can potentially cause crashes like this? i blew it out earlier today out of curiousity and (i really don't want to jinx it, i have a bad habit of doing that)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i may look into a v1 pre-modded switch in the end on ebay bc yea, lol
... though i don't want to jinx it i'm gonna ask- is it possible that dust buildup in the usb-c can potentially cause crashes like this? i blew it out earlier today out of curiousity and (i really don't want to jinx it, i have a bad habit of doing that)

Could be. I’ve seen weirder things...

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If thats the case how come it was fine up to now. The guy I purchased it from has had this switch for a whole year before me. And ive only been using it for a couple of months and now this issue turns up?

also how should I approach fixing this issue?
Look, I was making an assumption.
As I said, I myself didn't solder the chip, it was my friend who did it for me since he studies electronics and solders for fun, but I use my hacked Switch since September 2020 now (and since end of 2019 stock without chip) and that very frequently, often using the touchscreen in both homescreen and if a game supports it, and don't have a sudden touchscreen input issue that can't be solved by recalibration.
You understand what I meant now?

Last edited by HalfScoper,

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
weirdly, my switch's battery display says that it's at 0% but it's been on for the past hour at that percentage and now i'm just really confused.
i think something's wrong with that sort of battery indicator? lol, that explains the whole thing with ptm issues. guess ofw doesn't really have anything to handle that? anyways, any suggestions on what can be causing that? I'm getting a news witch eventioanlly either way i'm just confused if the battery is dying or what lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)