Gaming Switch is great and all but..

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna miss the wiiu gamepad screen.
I hate to say it but BOTW would have been even more awesome if the switch didn't exist. Developers had to kill the gamepad functionality like inventory management ala windwaker hd.
i think the switch should have kept the same 2 unit console so as to not loose that feature.
oh well.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I don't miss the secound screen at all. I love the Pro Controller and there is no real advantage to look at the gamepad compared to pressing a button and looking at the map or inventory at the TV. The fast change of weapons in BotW works great on the switch and it is better than this fast change system when you have to press something on the gamepad without pausing the fight. Scrolling in the inventory could be more comfortable with the stylus but I always hated to change betwen stylus and playing without during a game.
Very few games like Affordable Space Adventure were great because of the gamepad, but many games would have been better if it was possible to play without. For example Xenoblade couldn't really be played without the gamepad. And if have to choose between Xnoblade with a comfortable Pro Controller and Affordable Space Adventures, I would chooes Xenoblade.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Switching weapons with the Control pad is actually efficient, doing it on a gamepad may slow you down or get you killed by not focusing on the screen. The only little use would be easily choosing items to cook, but then again that's also done pretty easily. Soo, really the gamepad functions won't help a lot in this game here.

Reactions: Xabring

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was upset about this at first, but after playing BotW a bit, I find that I don't miss it much.

What has me more surprised is that they threw away Wii U and 3DS VC options on the switch, with the lack of 2nd screen. Unless of course they find a way to make Wii U/3DS VC work w/o a second screen. Some games obviously would be more possible than others, but at very least they would have to redesign a lot of games to make them work vs the easy ports they've been privy to in the past.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to say it but BOTW would have been even more awesome if the switch didn't exist. Developers had to kill the gamepad functionality like inventory management ala windwaker hd.
i think the switch should have kept the same 2 unit console so as to not loose that feature.
oh well.
Its best the way it is.
IF you had to look away from your main screen and touch the gamepad to switch weapons it would get you kill.
The switch is by far better then the wii u. No touch controls are needed. It easy and fast to Nav though menus and items. Game play on tv and handheld mode are the same. No new controls to learn or mess things up.

But i guess thats just me. I dont have a problem with the switch or zelda it all works great.

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its best the way it is.
IF you had to look away from your main screen and touch the gamepad to switch weapons it would get you kill.
The switch is by far better then the wii u. No touch controls are needed. It easy and fast to Nav though menus and items. Game play on tv and handheld mode are the same. No new controls to learn or mess things up.

But i guess thats just me. I dont have a problem with the switch or zelda it all works great.
First of whenever you're in inventory the game pauses. I'm sure this was added specifically because of the switch. It would have been far better to assign items to the buttons you want. You sound like you never had a wiiu and never played windwaker hd. So no you can't say the wiiu wouldn't have had the better control scheme.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bottom line is that two screens is better than one

Last edited by comput3rus3r,
Reactions: vinipeix

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
offTopic, my nintendo switch is now stuck on that loading icon (all black and loading circle) this happened after i long pressed on the power button and then turned it off , as i wanted to switch it off.

this happened with the joy cons not attached to the switch.

did this happen to anyone else?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh well.

I understand you but I rather Switch over Wii U. Wii U's gamepad is so ugly looking and too thick. Ugh! I applaud them for Switch version. Can't wait to get one soon. :)

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

To me it feels like I've not used the GamePad for years and that's a damn good feeling. Just using a traditional controller with motion sensor is much more appealing, to me, at least.

Reactions: Xabring

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of whenever you're in inventory the game pauses. I'm sure this was added specifically because of the switch. It would have been far better to assign items to the buttons you want. You sound like you never had a wiiu and never played windwaker hd. So no you can't say the wiiu wouldn't have had the better control scheme.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bottom line is that two screens is better than one
got a wii u at launch and have and been windwaker. That game isnt action enough. You can easily drop and drop an item to use while.
BOTW you cant do that. Your item breaks and you need to change it. That means your have to look down at the gamepad and drag an item to where it needs. Your end up getting hit.

Now even if your just playing offscreen on the gamepad. It still wouldnt be needed. Your have to remove your hand from the grip and touch the screen to change your items. then go back to holding the gamepad.
Much easier to you the stick and pick what you want.
Touch controls arent needed in botw

S

Saiyan Lusitano

got a wii u at launch and have and been windwaker. That game isnt action enough. You can easily drop and drop an item to use while.
BOTW you cant do that. Your item breaks and you need to change it. That means your have to look down at the gamepad and drag an item to where it needs. Your end up getting hit.

Now even if your just playing offscreen on the gamepad. It still wouldnt be needed. Your have to remove your hand from the grip and touch the screen to change your items. then go back to holding the gamepad.
Much easier to you the stick and pick what you want.
Touch controls arent needed in botw
The birdie divine beast almost left me without bows and swords left because I stupidly kept attacking stupidly. BotW is about timing, attention to detail and patience.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I think they should do the dock open and keep dual screen to wiiU like features. But they know how to do these mistakes.
Dual-screen on the WiiU was a huge mistake, especially with Star Fox Zero. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe from what I've been told will not have the opponents' list items on the screen, that's kind of a downgrade while a huge upgrade.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
What irks me about it is that it is evident the inventory screen was designed around the gamepad and it would have been so much easier to see what inventory items you have at a glance, rather than having to obscure the screen by (effectively) pausing the action. After playing Windwaker HD within recent months before BOTW, the inventory system using the gamepad was far more user-intuitive. But evidently Nintendo didn't want the Wii U version to look superior to the Switch version so opted to remove the Wii U feature and force both versions to use the singular screen. People might say "But the quick select option this, that and the other!"... but it's still a nuisance when you're cooking recipes or wanting to check how much of an item you have or wanting to mark the map to have to keep going into the menu system, it sucks. Other than that, it's a great game, it's just a shame Nintendo short-changed the Wii U version.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

What irks me about it is that it is evident the inventory screen was designed around the gamepad and it would have been so much easier to see what inventory items you have at a glance, rather than having to obscure the screen by (effectively) pausing the action. After playing Windwaker HD within recent months before BOTW, the inventory system using the gamepad was far more user-intuitive. But evidently Nintendo didn't want the Wii U version to look superior to the Switch version so opted to remove the Wii U feature and force both versions to use the singular screen. People might say "But the quick select option this, that and the other!"... but it's still a nuisance when you're cooking recipes or wanting to check how much of an item you have or wanting to mark the map to have to keep going into the menu system, it sucks. Other than that, it's a great game, it's just a shame Nintendo short-changed the Wii U version.
That's the type of gimmicks that made some WiiU games really good but using the touchscreen or the in-game pause menu just end up being ultimately the same, I personally prefer pausing the screen and selecting what I want than to look down at the second screen.

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
2 screens works for some games.. Wind Waker is designed that way but if BOTW were to have 2 screens it will get old too fast and you up getting annoyed by looking at a second screen every few strikes and your weapons breaks. It will mean there won't be a mini pause and in an instant you have to keep on nodding just to check which weapon you have and select it.

There's a reason why a lot of games like this are popular on other consoles with no second screen. It lets you focus on the action. I'll have a sore neck if i have to keep on looking at a second screen since BOTW has a lot more action when it does. I think dual screens is perfect for 3DS games but BOTW is perfect for what it is. Plus the Switch will appear like a wiiU 2.0 if they kept the dual screen which i think Nintendo's been avoiding like the plague. But this is just my opinion. We all have different preferences in life.

Anyway, i'm enjoying the game a lot since launch day and i finally completed the Zora Armor after wandering around to other places.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The dual-screen wasn't very intuitive or ergonomic of a feature so it was a good thing they got rid of it completely. Watch Dogs on WiiU was supposed to have smartphone-like features but it didn't, but well, the game itself (gameplay-wise, i.e., stealth missions and such) were loads of fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho