Hacking Switch Informations by serial number - READ THE FIRST POST before asking questions

Maltruista

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.
My Switch's SN is XAJ70043833736. Is there some info out there of switches on the "warning area" sucessefully running the exploit?

Thanks

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.
My Switch's SN is XAJ70043833736. Is there some info out there of switches on the "warning area" sucessefully running the exploit?

Thanks

People on the forum here can't tell you if it is patched or not, as it is 50% patched, 50% unpatched, you need to push a payload to see.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Like I said you don't needs the whole world to know about it, it is privacy.
Thats not what i meant with my question.

Ok, i get it its privacy, but what's so private about string of numbers?

I replied to Cyan's post: "you never know what could be done to your console/account"
What can be done?
What has been done in the past, are there any tings being done?
How can it be bad?
Can you give me an example?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not what i meant with my question.

Ok, i get it its privacy, but what's so private about string of numbers?

I replied to Cyan's post: "you never know what could be done to your console/account"
What can be done?
What has been done in the past, are there any tings being done?
How can it be bad?
Can you give me an example?

In the switch case you don't give it out since your unit serial info is also in the prod.info , since you only need the prefix and the six digits after that to tell if the unit is patch or not, that why it stated in the thread not to post the full serial number, in addition, technically someone can edit a prod.info with your serial number on it by hex editing, so in general it is privacy reason, that why people hide mac address of unit when they sell something that has one, since it is an unique identifier for that unit.

Last edited by Hayato213,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
In the switch case you don't give it out since your unit serial info is also in the prod.info , since you only need the prefix and the six digits after that to tell if the unit is patch or not, that why it stated in the thread not to post the full serial number, in addition, technically someone can edit a prod.info with your serial number on it by hex editing, so in general it is privacy reason, that why people hide mac address of unit when they sell something that has one, since it is an unique identifier for that unit.
Idk whats "prod.info" tbh.
I'm not asking because of this thread, i'm asking cause Cyan said "you never know what could be done to your console/account".

I kinda get it, its a security risk, but i still don't get how. Can you give me an example of actually happening or give me hypothetical example but in plain English?

Say i post my serial publically, some evil person see it. What can he do to my console?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk whats "prod.info" tbh.
I'm not asking because of this thread, i'm asking cause Cyan said "you never know what could be done to your console/account".

I kinda get it, its a security risk, but i still don't get how. Can you give me an example of actually happening or give me hypothetical example but in plain English?

Say i post my serial publically, some evil person see it. What can he do to my console?

the prod.info contain info about the unit, like serial numbers, wlan mac address, battery lot, product info etc.

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Calibration

since prod.info is a bin file, when it get dump, someone can technically edit the prodinfo with someone else serial number, as for the privacy thing, Nintendo does monitor activity on this site from time to time, that why SX OS modding posts on this forum got deleted and hard modders got cease and desist order. Since you only needs the prefix like XAW1, and the next 6 digits to tell if a unit is patch or not so that why you don't post the whole thing online, without giving out the whole serial number Nintendo wouldn't know which unit exactly being checked to see if it hackable or not.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was just precautious, because at that time, even before we could hack it and play online, you always have to wonder what could happen "one day" if you publicly provide your console's serial number to nintendo, or any other members.
if that information alone is enough to ban you for example.
Like you said, all is hypothetical, just preventing any issue and keeping the privacy on a public forum/overal internet information.

For example, if your serial number is used to generate an individual ID, and that ID is used to ban/unban, you could have your console ID banned because someone else used YOUR ID instead of his/her to prevent having their console banned online, and have yours banned instead.

Hypothetically, like I said "we don't know" what it could be used for, always better safe than sorry.

Another example, you posted your full serial ID. Nintendo knows you did, and that serial is linked to you (as a member). So far they don't care. But maybe they have access to that serial ID when you play online, or access eshop, still they don't care you do, you did nothing wrong.
Another day, years later, you come here and tell you dumped a game (say ... the next Super Mario, before the official release date) and provided it online, you are happy ! you did something first before anyone else dumped the game, you want to share your exploit.
Nintendo probably has your billing address linked to your serial if you ever paid something on their eshop. they have a way to trace you back to your real identity and arrest you.

and ... OH YES, it already happened here, on this forum, in Wii section !!
don't doubt Nintendo will do what they can to protect their IP (Intellectual Properties) by all means necessary.

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://gbatemp.net/threads/kongsnutz-my-story.361116/
I didn't want to bring back old threads, or name him to keep his privacy and not bother him more than he had to, but that one is probably fine as it's locked. don't tag/like him, let him at peace about that old story :)
He posted a receipt of the game he bought, nintendo contacted the shop owner and got information to sue and arrest him. from just a purchase proof he posted here because other users nagged him a lot to post proof he had the game before release date.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: BaamAlex

Paulxxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello guy , i try to find if my switch is patched .
My serial is XAJ40060513. From first page is possibility patched, but if see another site , tell me is patched . how can confirm if patch or not? thanks

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guy , i try to find if my switch is patched .
My serial is XAJ40060513. From first page is possibility patched, but if see another site , tell me is patched . how can confirm if patch or not? thanks

Patched

Capture1.PNG

Reactions: Paulxxx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j