Hardware Switch heating/cooling

nero99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many of you have had a heating issue with your switch? Like any electronic that uses thermal paste, Nintendo used quite a bit of crappy paste. I was getting tired of my system getting too hot in handheld and docked mode this past week and decided to operate! All the thermal paste Nintendo had smeared on the cooling plates/heat pipe was replaced with a fresh coating of Arctic MX-4 paste. This has drastically reduced how hot my system gets while playing BOTW. A new cooling fix I plan to do shortly is "fix" Nintendos stupid spot of choice for the fan intake vents. The bottom of the system.. Really Nintendo engineers? No. I will be making a small circular air vent that is right on top of the system fan. a little bit of a dust filter and boom. Your switch will run much cooler! Please excuse any errors I have made, or if this idea is just stupid to you. I have not had any sleep for almost 48 hours.

nero99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I opened my system to remove the aluminum piece covering the internals, I saw that Nintendo used way too much paste on the first layer. That crap was everywhere ._. It was one of those cases of used too much and squeezed it all out of the sides and had hardly any on the heat pipe. But ever since i finished redoing their screw up, my system doesn't get hot after 20 minutes of playing. It actually blows out cool air for once!

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's very hard to let the Switch overheat:

Friends who have the Switch don't have any problems with overheating either (even though it's 30 degrees here right now).

Reactions: Xzi and g00s3y

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
I put a temperature contontrolled fan behind each of my consoles. Cheap of ebay and all plugged into a 12V wall wart powersupply. Stopped my PS4 sounding like a jet engine and means dreamcast and gamecube can be in the same slot without them cooking each other with stagnant air.

D

Deleted-355425

It's very hard to let the Switch overheat:

Friends who have the Switch don't have any problems with overheating either (even though it's 30 degrees here right now).

I had this argument with an idiot a while ago, the unit can and will degrade quicker from being very hot, even if it doesnt reach the set 'over heating temp' nintendo has set before it switches off. If the paste gets cooked then you will get issues.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How many of you have had a heating issue with your switch? Like any electronic that uses thermal paste, Nintendo used quite a bit of crappy paste. I was getting tired of my system getting too hot in handheld and docked mode this past week and decided to operate! All the thermal paste Nintendo had smeared on the cooling plates/heat pipe was replaced with a fresh coating of Arctic MX-4 paste. This has drastically reduced how hot my system gets while playing BOTW. A new cooling fix I plan to do shortly is "fix" Nintendos stupid spot of choice for the fan intake vents. The bottom of the system.. Really Nintendo engineers? No. I will be making a small circular air vent that is right on top of the system fan. a little bit of a dust filter and boom. Your switch will run much cooler! Please excuse any errors I have made, or if this idea is just stupid to you. I have not had any sleep for almost 48 hours.
If your Switch is getting anywhere near hot in handheld mode, there's something wrong. Mine barely even gets warm.
In docked mode though, it does tend to warm up a lot.
I wouldn't recommend putting an air vent where the fan is. That means air won't be traveling through the rest of the console like it's supposed to, and other parts of the console could overheat.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I had this argument with an idiot a while ago, the unit can and will degrade quicker from being very hot, even if it doesnt reach the set 'over heating temp' nintendo has set before it switches off. If the paste gets cooked then you will get issues.
You were the idiot then and you're still the idiot now. All electronic devices have an overheat temp set for them and they all operate in a range below that temp. What you're claiming is that all electronic devices are constantly damaging themselves and degrading their performance faster than typical. It's not only obviously false, but it's a patently stupid claim to make without any evidence.

For anybody curious, I've owned a Shield TV for several years now, and it's operated in the same room as an indoor hot tub. It's never once overheated even when used for 4K streaming or gaming.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted-355425

You were the idiot then and you're still the idiot now. All electronic devices have an overheat temp set for them and they all operate in a range below that temp. What you're claiming is that all electronic devices are constantly damaging themselves and degrading their performance faster than typical. It's not only obviously false, but it's a patently stupid claim to make without any evidence.

Look at data sheets for working life for electronic components above particular temperatures, gives shortened life spans. You are still an idiot.

Reactions: cearp

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Look at data sheets for working life for electronic components, gives shorted life span. You are still an idiot.
You've still provided no evidence. I know using electronic devices slowly decreases their lifespan, that's a big no duh. What you can't prove is that Switch is being degraded faster than any other device through typical use. All the real evidence makes an argument contrary to yours, especially when you look at the durability of X1 in Shield TV.

D

Deleted-355425

You've still provided no evidence. I know using electronic devices slowly decreases their lifespan, that's a big no duh. What you can't prove is that Switch is being degraded faster than any other device through typical use. All the real evidence makes an argument contrary to yours, especially when you look at the durability of X1 in Shield TV.

I didn't say the switch wil degrade faster then other devices you moron, I said any electronic components have shorter life spans due to heat. You prove to me it doesn't if you are going to be a cock about it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say the switch wil degrade faster then other devices you moron, I said any electronic components have shorter life spans due to heat. You prove to me it doesn't if you are going to be a cock about it.
Of course you're going to harm a device if you constantly push it to the point of an overheat shutdown. That wasn't what you were claiming, though. You were claiming that normal temperature operation even shy of the overheat temperature was causing damage beyond standard degradation. Which again, there's no evidence of.

D

Deleted-355425

Of course you're going to harm a device if you constantly push it to the point of an overheat shutdown. That wasn't what you were claiming, though. You were claiming that normal temperature operation even shy of the overheat temperature was causing damage beyond the norm. Which again, there's no evidence of.

Where did I say 'normal operating temperatures'? Thanks for agreeing with my point though.

Reactions: gameboy
D

Deleted-355425

that statement is correct and sitting above the conditions that can shorten life spans but sits under the switches over heating temperature still stands.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Take laptops for instance.
What about them? Do you have any graphs showing a laptop's lifespan in barely below-overheat temps vs colder temps? And what about typical usage, going from colder to warmer to colder? Does it depend on brand? Etc. Operating temperature is far from the only factor in lifespan and durability, and in many instances its overall effect is negligible.

Late edit: Regardless, it's a moot point to make when you're bringing up laptops in a discussion about a chipset like X1 (Switch), built for efficient, low-power operation in high temps and high humidity.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended